Install Arc
Options

Starship Models: errors and issues!

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Defiant class doesn't have any windows,. Why add them? I thought we were trying to move closer to canon with the updates.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    VSpeck wrote: »
    Defiant class doesn't have any windows,. Why add them? I thought we were trying to move closer to canon with the updates.

it has windows i think

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/hsirhan/2007/02/11/ds9_defiant_firing.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    On the windows issue, I always found it odd that some of our saucers (the assault cruisers come to mind) have windows on their bottom surfaces. Wouldn't that put them on the floor?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    On the windows issue, I always found it odd that some of our saucers (the assault cruisers come to mind) have windows on their bottom surfaces. Wouldn't that put them on the floor?

There's artificial gravity on the ship no?

I'd imagine Rob Lower could come up with an excuse - like he did in Thank You for Smoking.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There's artificial gravity on the ship no?

I'd imagine Rob Lower could come up with an excuse - like he did in Thank You for Smoking.

I can't tell if you're being serious... XD

Yes, they did, but I have yet to see a ship layout with floorplans flipped on some decks.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Or on horizontal surfaces topside... meaning skylights or a sun/moonroof
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Or on horizontal surfaces topside... meaning skylights or a sun/moonroof

Haven't noticed those yet, but they're reasonable. Nothing wrong with skylights. Just... windows under your feet seems a little wonky to me.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    CapnLogan wrote:

is does have windows. Cap'n is correct.

More references here if you don't believe him

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/defiant1.htm
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The Enterprise-D had some windows on the underside that weren't quite horizontal, but pretty darned close - I don't think we ever saw the interior rooms. Note that on the extreme underside, the windows are recessed, allowing them to be vertical: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:USS_Enterprise-D,_These_Are_the_Voyages.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm guessing the Windows would be going outward from the room, so you'd look down through them.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It certainly does have windows. Try watching more DS9
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jeff-El wrote:
    The Enterprise-D had some windows on the underside that weren't quite horizontal, but pretty darned close - I don't think we ever saw the interior rooms. Note that on the extreme underside, the windows are recessed, allowing them to be vertical: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:USS_Enterprise-D,_These_Are_the_Voyages.jpg

I imagine they would be similar to the windows on the Stratosphere tower - near horizontal, but at that scale, you'd still be near the bottom and look down-and-out of them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Stratosphere_Las_Vegas_-8Sept2008.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    CapnLogan wrote:

I stand corrected. I thought I remembered an article about how difficult it was to judge the Defiant's size because it had no windows. Looking back at it, the article says that the Defiant's windows make the ship much larger than the stated specs. My bad.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I stand corrected. I thought I remembered an article about how difficult it was to judge the Defiant's size because it had no windows. Looking back at it, the article says that the Defiant's windows make the ship much larger than the stated specs. My bad.

You're right...those windows actually are one of the reasons it's tough to judge the Defiant's size. Extrapolating based on the spacing of those two rows, the Defiant could have upwards of eight decks, when most canon sources point to it having four, though a "Deck 5" is mentioned in two episodes. It's a real mess, though you could assume that the lowermost deck has a row of tiny windows along the floor, and another along the ceiling...:D

Source
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    lets say it has two sets of windows on one deck for some reason. or they're small windows.. lol
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Whoops! Spoke too soon! :3
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The Defiant ranged from 50m (First Contact) to 120m (most commonly shown) and 180m (First episodes with a CGI Defiant). The most commonly accepeted size is the 120m as it was shown most often.

I really could never understand the Size/Distance Anomaly that floated around the Trek universe that had the amazing ability to change the size and distance of planets, ships, starbases, and every other darn thing shown on the shows.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The good old Trek ship size issue. Still at least they didn't do what they did to the Galaxy-class, and make a smaller uglier version of it... http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/4-footer-vs-6-footer/
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I agree theirs a lot of problem with either the ship setups or the model imperfections that still needs to be worked out my suggestion is that after Dev team finishes the Nebula Class after they fix the model problems on that one they should look into redoing all the star ships that were shown on the Star Trek Series and Movies.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Since the season 2 I did see the changes on the Sovereign and my hats off for the Dev team to fix those but still more needs to be fixed then the ship looks fine to me.

Dorsal
    Missing Detail and Move windows

Ventral
    Missing Detail and Windows
    Section needs to be moved in and Windows added

Blue Prints what they should look
    Dorsal
    Ventral
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thread's really long so I don't know if this issue has been addressed yet, but recently the engine glow from the neck impulse outlets on the galaxy-X as well as the Heavy Cannon firing graphics are appearing seperated by a distance from behind the left side of the ship .

probably a bug with the coordinates on the model, please fix.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Galaxy X:
    Third Necile can not hold the same texture on both sides of it.
    Refit Back Impulse engines shows 2 red dots a few miles behind the ship. I have a pic to prove it. Just need to upload it.

Picture here.
    http://i56.tinypic.com/vz7rrd.jpg
    You see those 2 dots? They are suppose to be the back impulse engines.
    Also when using a pattern like Saggeterious. It only shows on 1 side of the 3rd neccile.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This thread is not updated anymore.

Please post in the following thread: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=163481
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This has been fixed:

*Cerberus lower Hull windows don't change with Window selection. They are always Type 1
    *When pressing Cerberus preset in Ship Customization, lower Hull is set to Prometheus
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Jonas801 wrote:
    This has been fixed:

*Cerberus lower Hull windows don't change with Window selection. They are always Type 1
    *When pressing Cerberus preset in Ship Customization, lower Hull is set to Prometheus

This thread is not updated any more.
    Alexraptor wrote: »
    This thread is not updated anymore.

Please post in the following thread: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=163481