test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Farming and a solution

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Over the weekend I entered SB24 in my Miranda to get some kills and try and get some blues (in beta I was in the top 3 pretty much every time)

when lo and behold

A captain entered in his uber ship and began 1 shotting the enemies, its not too hard to guess who came number 1

Then I found out that Higher level toons are often entering the lower level fleet action merely to farm the instance for skill points for bridge officers or themselves.

It was then that I hit on a solution.

If you are +5 levels above your target you will not gain skills for the kills. you should never be more than 5 levels from each 'farmable' action.
obviously the best way would be to make each fleet action accessible only by a certain rank, thus keeping the difficulty level up.

also a solution to stop people DSE farming XP would be to make it that if you try to instance hop, a new instance opens for you rather than you being able to select an instance.

So I finish my instance, timer is at 5mins, i change instance a new instance opens for me with a 1 min timer to begin, for that 1 min, every other person instance hopping will enter my instance (to max of 5) then the moment it hits 5 the instance action will begin.

For teams , they would have the isntance to themselves, thus allowing a team of 5 to complete the DSE encounters together.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    With all the instances avalible, why are you so upset about guys farming stuff for their officers or to make a few creds.

Why is it that if they dont grind out xp they way you think they should, then the system should be changed?

Game styles are diff across the board, you cant dictate to someone how they can play, why would you want the devs to do it?

Seriously, when you can change instance easily it gives you the freedom to play your way, if you need stuff, you can go get it, if you want to grind up faster for more fire power to do your quests with , why should you be limited?

To date I havent seen any one person run instance after instance, I know I drop thru all the defend and deep space stuff so I can farm a bit, and make a lil xp, but thats how you do it in any mmo
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I dont really see why people would farm like that because i went through SB24 and only get mk ii items which is pretty much useless on a tier 2 ship.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    petie86 wrote: »
    I dont really see why people would farm like that because i went through SB24 and only get mk ii items which is pretty much useless on a tier 2 ship.

Sell loot, go to store buy what you need, rince repeat as needed
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have no problem getting no skill points by visiting earlier actions. And let people of the appropriate level get drops.

But you should always allow people to go back and do activities they may have missed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

But for a new player in a Miranda those MKII Blues amke a huge difference to them, for a Captain farming Blues that sell for ooh 10k each?

run an instance 10 times, take 50 mins =100K = 1 transaction for a goldseller

anyone seeing the light yet? or would you like me to turn it up a little brighter?

by making low level fleet actions accessible to Admirals and Captains who can out DPS every other low level player your giving the Gold Farmers their farms to obtain the credits they need.

sadly in any MMO these areas are great for real players, but are too often giving a goldmine for Farmers, thus to stamp out the RMT business you need to impose limits on higher level and lower level player interactions.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

sadly during beta when i hit 16 i use to farm them you got uncommon and some rare weapons and consoles which at the time where the best other than say quest rewards. Now i don't see an issue with farming for xp it is indeed part of an mmo. I don't farm them i do explosration missions but thats just me.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The only reason this is really a problem for fleet actions is the fact that the loot at the end is tied to the score, and the score is tied to damage.

So every time someone in a higher tier ship comes and "farms" the fleet action, people in level-appropriate ships aren't able to get the items that they can actually use.

The solution to this is twofold:

1. We need more higher-level fleet actions. If people had level-appropriate stuff to go do, they wouldn't be as apt to come back and "farm" lower-level content.

2. The scoring system needs to be adjusted. There's been a million threads on this topic. If it were up to me, I would just add a check to see what a player's ship is, and if the ship is too high for the content, nullify their score. If someone wants to hang on to their old Miranda and occasionally use it in Starbase 24 to help out the new folks, more power to them. But they shouldn't be rolling up to that fight in their Defiant-class and expecting to get anything from it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yup earlier today I ran crystal entity to as a LTC to find a CMD+5 sitting there one shotting him with ram always getting #1 DPS and always getting the best loot... I stayed for 3 runs of the instance, and others in the zone said he has been there for a while.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Badem wrote: »
    But for a new player in a Miranda those MKII Blues amke a huge difference to them, for a Captain farming Blues that sell for ooh 10k each?

1) You will be in a Miranda for around 10-15 hours. Once you rank up you will replace all those mk II blues with mk IV whites. The fleet action loot currently isn't worth it unless you top the list. And the people who are going to top the list are those closest to ranking, who don't need the gear and will therefore sell it.

2) 10k? I have white drops at Commander that sell for more than 10k to vendors. If you think 10k is anything but pocket change you haven't played enough. I think I have earned something close to 600k energy by Cmdr 3. I waste it by pimping out my ship with white straight away off the exchange instead of waiting for drops.

3) Anyone who actually buys energy is a drooling moron. 100k energy is worth about 10 Wow gold in terms of how long it takes to farm that much energy. I personally doubt the gold sellers are making money atm and are just speculating.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

run an instance 10 times, take 50 mins =100K = 1 transaction for a goldseller

anyone seeing the light yet? or would you like me to turn it up a little brighter?

by making low level fleet actions accessible to Admirals and Captains who can out DPS every other low level player your giving the Gold Farmers their farms to obtain the credits they need.

sadly in any MMO these areas are great for real players, but are too often giving a goldmine for Farmers, thus to stamp out the RMT business you need to impose limits on higher level and lower level player interactions.

Your saying that the only reason to do it is to be a gold monger? A credit seller?

This creeps up in every game and the solution is simple, no large cred transactions between players.

But now to I have to ask YOU this question....Does this happen every day? Is their someone in there ALL the time just wreking the game for you?

Should people feel guilty trying to make their OWN creds with a system set up by the devs, so that they can get the stuff they want? Or ...is this just an gripe fest cuz you didnt get a high score?

I ask because my son and I have been thru there on 4 diff chars, and I havent noticed this a problem to date
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Or, Cryptic could do something similar as they did with their "monster" system in City of Heroes. That is, the NPC's have no level, but instead are always a set amount of levels above the player. For Player A might be level 10, and Player B might be level 30, but the level difference for the same creature would be the same.

Another alternative would be limits by ship class too. That way perhaps a higher ranked character actually enjoyed those fleet battles, and could still participate in a Miranda just like everyone else there.

The problem with the limits by class or ship type is that they make no sense for a universe "at war".
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You might have seen me in my Intrepid this weekend. Since the Fleet Actions are currently set to reward only damage done, I made it a my mission to hover around a single Miranda and keep him alive the entire event. Usually, this person came in first. I find this to be good practice in the supporting role and I don't take loot from players of the intended level by doing this because I'm essentially not scoring any points by actively targetting the enemy ships.

I agree though. I think that anyone outside of the intended level range for these areas should probably not be counted. Either way, I still get to practice.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rotton wrote: »
    This creeps up in every game and the solution is simple, no large cred transactions between players.

But now to I have to ask YOU this question....Does this happen every day? Is their someone in there ALL the time just wreking the game for you?

Should people feel guilty trying to make their OWN creds with a system set up by the devs, so that they can get the stuff they want? Or ...is this just an gripe fest cuz you didnt get a high score?

I ask because my son and I have been thru there on 4 diff chars, and I havent noticed this a problem to date

faire enough, here are the answer to your questions

1) everytime I entered a Fleet action I have seen ships aove level in instances, I have even been in a fair few that start out fine, everyone roughly same level, all having fun, got first part done, then a CPT or ADM jummps into instance and proceeds to out DPS everyone on the last 20 enemies and gets number 1

2) Nope its not a gripe fest, i am merely thinking of other low level players who have not played the game before, trying this and then getting virtually no rewards out of it.

3) Godlseller are active in the game, the favorite method of transaction is the exchange, I have already seen the 400 cred items on sale for 100K, thats not just greedy profiteering.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    faire enough, here are the answer to your questions

1) everytime I entered a Fleet action I have seen ships aove level in instances, I have even been in a fair few that start out fine, everyone roughly same level, all having fun, got first part done, then a CPT or ADM jummps into instance and proceeds to out DPS everyone on the last 20 enemies and gets number 1

2) Nope its not a gripe fest, i am merely thinking of other low level players who have not played the game before, trying this and then getting virtually no rewards out of it.

3) Godlseller are active in the game, the favorite method of transaction is the exchange, I have already seen the 400 cred items on sale for 100K, thats not just greedy profiteering.

Um... Ok on the responce Except the last one...... Are you saying the gold sellers deliver the gold to the players over the exchange...Um...There is no way ( to my knowledge ) to know whom your buying the stuff from until you buy it...Sooo, dont understand your point.

Now IF someone is DUMB enough to pay thru the nose for stuff that is overpriced THEY SHOULD TURN THE PAGE ON THE VENDER LIST, usually you will find it cheaper.

MY POINT, it appeared to me you wanted to stop this becasue of gold sellers, but now it seems you find it a bitter pill that people ar placeing high on the list cuz of damage. To this I respond in kind, There are several ways to deal with this, mainly just change instance.

But to concide to your point , it would suck having some one come in every time I wanted to place on the list, but....Lol, I would just wait and change instance, and if it persisted, ask the guy to give me a break.

Either way to ban folks from the instance, well that just sucks to me:cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2010

That happens with only people within the level range. The reward system is completely broken.

No that is called greed (aka scams). Last time I looked I didn't notice anything telling you the name of the seller so it is impossible to reliably transfer credits in this way. If the gold sellers tried it with a specific item it wouldn't take long for people to figure it out and put up bogus items (hmmm, have to look into this).
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rotton wrote: »
    With all the instances avalible, why are you so upset about guys farming stuff for their officers or to make a few creds.

I tried 6 instances in a row and found at least a tier 3 ship in each of them. SB24 is now officially a tier 3 fleet action. Can the lowbies have one pretty please or do you really want them to GFTO and go back to WOW ? Are you working for Blizzard ?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Delazure wrote: »
    I tried 6 instances in a row and found at least a tier 3 ship in each of them. SB24 is now officially a tier 3 fleet action. Can the lowbies have one pretty please or do you really want them to GFTO and go back to WOW ? Are you working for Blizzard ?

Ok , so now only entry lvl and teir 2 ships should be allowed......um...Pfffft What ever guys:eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Wow no dev post WTF? Cryptic hello anyone home?:eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vandaquill wrote: »

Why would devs post on the forum? The only Cryptic employees who regularly post are CSR's.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    why would the dev's repsond? they are busy fixing the game not trawling the website.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vandaquill wrote: »

I find it funny that his post happened at 6:30 am (pacific time) on a Monday morning, the day after the Super Bowl. I mean, really - devs are people too, ok? They're not androids with positronic brains that have no need for sleep and don't occasionally have to try to beat rush hour traffic while fighting a hangover.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm low level so I'm in the area where this is an issue for me but guess what? It's not an issue for me. If someone is farming an instant I move to a different one. There is simply not enough content available in this game for the devs to start closing some players out for any reason what so ever.

It sounds more like your upset about compition than right and wrong. Move to another zone, it's not that hard.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Reyluryn wrote:
    I'm low level so I'm in the area where this is an issue for me but guess what? It's not an issue for me. If someone is farming an instant I move to a different one. There is simply not enough content available in this game for the devs to start closing some players out for any reason what so ever.

It sounds more like your upset about compition than right and wrong. Move to another zone, it's not that hard.

/facepalm

did you even read all the psots?

move to a new instant? ok done that, got the first sections (kills ships) done, started on battelships and oh whats that? a CPT ship, PEW PEW, ranking screwed

moving to a new instant does not cure the problem, since anyone can jump in with a T4/T5 ship and TRIBBLE you out of your reward
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I said this in another thread, but I'll toss it here to see if I can contribute...
    Possible simple solutions...

- If you are LT Cmdr 12 or more, you simply just don't get a drop if you win. That way, you can go in, have fun, help your friends, but you don't take the loot away from the players you would benefit from the loot. The game cycles through the list and awards the prizes to the players who are level appropriate.

OR

- All Blue and Green items that drop in the zone are Bind on PICKUP. Then, despite others losing out on potential loot to higher levels, ther is no point in farming the area and flooding the market with these items and removes Gold Farming potential harvests.

OR

- Pro-rate the DPS heavily the more the level of the player exceeds the bracket of the instance.

OR

- Simply do not track the points of a player who is Lt Cmdr 12 or higher. So you can go there, test stuff, wreak havock on the Klingons, but bottom line, your name doesn't even show up in the list once the mobs are done. You get no loot and perhaps even less Skill Points.

There are a TON of other ways to deal with this issue.

What needs to be determined is what does Cryptic want Starbase 24 to be and who do they want to be able to benefit from it.

Cheers!
    Suggestive_Canuck
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fleet Actions should simply scale the reward calculation on each player's level. The higher the level, the more you have to do for the same place in the final reward distribution.

For example, for the same reward, a Level 10 player might have to do 10,000 damage, a level 20 player would have to do 40,000 damage, a level 3 100,000 damage (numbers are made up). The appropriate numbers could easily be aquired by Cryptic just having typical ships and loadouts in each level bracket do some dps tests.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the biggest problem i see is the farmers. no mateer what we do they will be there. my god there like 1000 or more spammer on there eveyday trying to get u to spend your money on ceds that they farm. so they will keep farming the areas and keep spamming the hell out of ppl so they can make a living
This discussion has been closed.