test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stupid Cat

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Ten Forward
What the Frak? My dumb cat peed on the floor in front of my mom a couple days ago. We assumed it was because the litter box was dirty, so we cleaned it out. She then peed on a towel in front of my dad. We assumed it was because she was unaware of the new cleanliness of the litter box, so we rubbed her paws in the litter (like you do with a kitten). Just now, she peed on the front carpet in front of my little brother. Obviously, she's a little bit out of excuses.

My mom's been talking about getting rid of one of the cats lately (she thinks we have too many), and this behavior really isn't helping my cat's chances. Are there any cat people out there who can tell me why she's suddenly doing this and how to get her to stop?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Think you are missing a h in there. :p

And that is why Chat is a god person. So much easier to handle.
    If a cat could they would give you the finger.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Maybe taking the cat to the vets, or asking on a cat forum would be a little more appropriate - most of the people on here struggle to get dressed each day!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    our cat took to projectile vomitting from high places when we gave her a certain cat food (you know, like off the top of the fridge!). needless to say she doesn't eat that cat food anymore...

Aside from that cat anecdote, no i can't help you.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It could also be the early warning stages of a urinary tract infection, or crystals in the urine. Perhaps a vet would be a better consult than a STO forum.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I had the same problem with one of my cats, except she was only peeing in one place, our bathroom rug. Oddly enough, when we threw out the ruined rug, she stopped. Never did figure out why she was doing that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    deaken beat me to it
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Your Cat has a UTI (Urinary tract infection) most likely. This makes it painful for them to hold in urine, aka peeing all the time all over the place. take her to a vet asap or it could become worse.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    sintar07 wrote: »
    What the Frak? My dumb cat peed on the floor in front of my mom a couple days ago. We assumed it was because the litter box was dirty, so we cleaned it out. She then peed on a towel in front of my dad. We assumed it was because she was unaware of the new cleanliness of the litter box, so we rubbed her paws in the litter (like you do with a kitten). Just now, she peed on the front carpet in front of my little brother. Obviously, she's a little bit out of excuses.

My mom's been talking about getting rid of one of the cats lately (she thinks we have too many), and this behavior really isn't helping my cat's chances. Are there any cat people out there who can tell me why she's suddenly doing this and how to get her to stop?

It could be incontinent.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Disclaimer: I am not a cat person, but I try to be helpful anyway (I am allergic to the little beasts)

"Inappropriate Elimination"

Cats do not pee outside the box out of spite, or to "get back at you." There are two main reasons why cat urinate outside the litter box:

1. UTI or Blockage
    A cat may associate pain from a urinary tract infection or blockage by urinary crystals with the litter box itself. Consequently, the cat will seek out other places to urinate. It is imperative that you rule out a medical cause by taking your cat to the veterinarian without delay.
    2. A Dirty Litter Box
    Cats are fastidious animals and carefully cover their TRIBBLE and urine, so as not to leave a trail for predators to follow. If a litter box becomes full, they will look elsewhere to pee and TRIBBLE. Regular litter box maintenance is extremely important.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It could also be the early warning stages of a urinary tract infection, or crystals in the urine. Perhaps a vet would be a better consult than a STO forum.

^^ This. Definately take the cat to the vet.

Why people resort to "getting rid" of their pet when something like this happens is really frustrating. Your pet is meant to be part of the family. Just remember when your mother / father start p!ssing themselves when they get older, have them carted off to a "new" family. Old people's homes would love to take them on. Even if they can't use the toilet.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    shoot it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I had a cat with Diabetes that did that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Either UTI or attention seeking behaviour. You say you have "too many" cats, perhaps it feels undervalued and is trying to get attention. One of our cats gets moody when my mother is away, so when she comes back the cat pees on her bed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I once found two kittens in a stack of wood outside my house. Obviously their mother had abandoned them and I, a person who never wanted to have a cat set foot (or paw) in his house, took them in, bought them food two litterboxes, a scratching post and generally everything kittens need, or as much of it as I could afford. While the two sisters were still little, they got along just fine. They slept together, took care of each others hygiene and most importand of all, they used the litterboxes I bought them.

As they grew older and matured, they began to fight. First only a little, about certain "cat-spots" but in the end they turned the house in a warzone with established territorial borders, which one cat could only cross if she was prepeared to be assaulted by the defending party. Along with the fighting came the pooping and peeing, almost everywhere in the house. My girlfried and I were unable to explain this behavior, since they obviously knew how to use their litterboxes and we positioned one in each cats territory. I even bought another one for the neutral ground (which was for some reason the downstairs toilet).

When we asked the cats' veterinarian about this strange, almost random defecating, he told us that this kind of behaviour is not common in cats but not unheard of. They obviously try to mark their respective territories that way, since the usual way (using these glands on their necks) didn't seem strong enough for them. At this point we didn't know what to do with the cats. On the one hand they had become a part of our daily lifes and housemates, on the other hand they already destroyed some really valuable stuff including a scanner, a NDS and a PSP. I never got why they were so fond of peeing in MY entertaiment stuff, when they could have used my girlfriend's pink NDS. My girlfried won, and we closed away our TRIBBLE-sensitive stuff, when we left them alone, but you never get rid of this smell...

Well in the end one of the two cats got hit by a car and died and almost instantly the other cat started using her three litterboxes again. I do not recommend letting your cat getting hit by a car (those were some really tough weeks for us), but if you want this to stop, you propably will have to give one cat away. Otherwise, you might have to live with it, given that rivalry is really the trigger.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rabidfish wrote: »
    Either UTI or attention seeking behaviour. You say you have "too many" cats, perhaps it feels undervalued and is trying to get attention. One of our cats gets moody when my mother is away, so when she comes back the cat pees on her bed.

I do that, now.........who told you ?!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hm this is a bit too off topic for these forums. I close it down, the best advice was already given, have the cat checked out by a vet :)
This discussion has been closed.