test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New engine for STO2???

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Using the existing Cryptic Engine has made Star Trek Online feel more like a parody, and I don't think they can possibly fix most of it without deleting a lot and returning to alpha testing... thus a sequel is the only reasonable thing to ask for. Some fans have studied the fictional languages and can speak them more fluently than the actors and their script writers. I have focused on the fictional technologies of Star Trek, including the reference books by consultants Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda, as well as the basics behind some of the real theories that inspired them. I assume that most of the things that are wrong about this game were compromises done because of the two-year deadline imposed by the greedy Atari and CBS executives, and that Cryptic simply didn't have the time to develop a new engine that could do justice to the Star Trek theme. I hope that the profits will be invested in developing a sequel that is more accurate... preferably with an emphasis on training simulations and war games to prepare for another invasion by distant threats such as the Borg, instead of the citizens of the alpha quadrant falling back into civil war after being united by the Dominion.

Don't misunderstand, if I didn't believe this was an entertaining game I wouldn't have purchased a Lifetime Subscription or be asking Cryptic to try again. Star Trek episodes are occasionally a satire of real life, so it is only fitting that there are a few parodies made from it. My greatest hope is that the most faithful games won't be limited to a single player experience as they have been in the past. Perhaps I would be less optimistic if I had played City of Heroes for more than the included month. What I am certain of is that I preferred previous Star Trek games, and if Atari and Cryptic don't take the financial risk to improve the franchise that this will be my last purchase.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Wait are you serious?!? Are you asking cryptic to make STO2 right now... or rather to start over? "That dog don't hunt"... seriously I can't believe you even brought this up. At the very best they can improve on what they've already built. Why do people even consider the thought that a company which is trying to make money should "start over". Honestly if you don't like STO then go play SQO (StarQuest Online).
    edited February 2010
    For crying out loud. The games been out, what? A week if that and you've got it dead, buried and are already planning its successor?
    If you don't like it then stop playing, uninstall it and forget the damn thing exists. I'm sure you can find something else to occupy your time. Otherwise, give the game a chance.

Yes, it could be better, there are things that they could improve upon. So why don't you give them the chance to improve on them? Thats the thing with games like this, they continually improve. All that downtime, they add stuff you see. It's only been a week, the games got potential so give it a chance and see where it goes.
    edited February 2010
    What does any of this have to do with the engine?
    edited February 2010
    I am with every here when I say. FLAME ON!!!!!
    edited February 2010
    This post does not contact reality at any point. Cryptic *has* to make *this* game work. And if they don't, one thing you can be pretty sure of is that none of their future MMOs will involve Star Trek. Any game not made will seem better in the imagination than a real-world game. You don't throw away your brand new car in the hopes that maybe you'll get a Porsche for Christmas.
    edited February 2010
    JoelKatz wrote: »
    This post does not contact reality at any point. Cryptic *has* to make *this* game work. And if they don't, one thing you can be pretty sure of is that none of their future MMOs will involve Star Trek. Any game not made will seem better in the imagination than a real-world game. You don't throw away your brand new car in the hopes that maybe you'll get a Porsche for Christmas.

This game doesn't work there will not be any future ST mmorpgs
    I simply cannot believe all the ignorant people out there. Its amazing any online game can get off the ground.
    edited February 2010
    Wait are you serious?!? Are you asking cryptic to make STO2 right now... or rather to start over? "That dog don't hunt"... seriously I can't believe you even brought this up. At the very best they can improve on what they've already built. Why do people even consider the thought that a company which is trying to make money should "start over". Honestly if you don't like STO then go play SQO (StarQuest Online).

I'm hoping for Qalaxy Quest Online.
    edited February 2010
    I'm with the OP. Copy/pasting Champions Online and calling it Star Trek was a cheap move on their part. Ever try to cancel your account? They ask you why you are canceling your CHAMPIONS ONLINE account!
    edited February 2010
    TorchCmdr wrote: »
    Using the existing Cryptic Engine has made Star Trek Online feel more like a parody, and I don't think they can possibly fix most of it without deleting a lot and returning to alpha testing... thus a sequel is the only reasonable thing to ask for. Some fans have studied the fictional languages and can speak them more fluently than the actors and their script writers. I have focused on the fictional technologies of Star Trek, including the reference books by consultants Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda, as well as the basics behind some of the real theories that inspired them. I assume that most of the things that are wrong about this game were compromises done because of the two-year deadline imposed by the greedy Atari and CBS executives, and that Cryptic simply didn't have the time to develop a new engine that could do justice to the Star Trek theme. I hope that the profits will be invested in developing a sequel that is more accurate... preferably with an emphasis on training simulations and war games to prepare for another invasion by distant threats such as the Borg, instead of the citizens of the alpha quadrant falling back into civil war after being united by the Dominion.

Don't misunderstand, if I didn't believe this was an entertaining game I wouldn't have purchased a Lifetime Subscription or be asking Cryptic to try again. Star Trek episodes are occasionally a satire of real life, so it is only fitting that there are a few parodies made from it. My greatest hope is that the most faithful games won't be limited to a single player experience as they have been in the past. Perhaps I would be less optimistic if I had played City of Heroes for more than the included month. What I am certain of is that I preferred previous Star Trek games, and if Atari and Cryptic don't take the financial risk to improve the franchise that this will be my last purchase.

It took 10 years and multiple companies to get STO released... and you want to start from the beginning? Are you kidding?

The game is great... and I plan to get The Lifetime Subscription once I stash away enough money for it.
    edited February 2010
    hatemenow wrote: »
    Ever try to cancel your account? They ask you why you are canceling your CHAMPIONS ONLINE account!

lol

Now thats hilarious. Made my day. :D
    edited February 2010
    Lord.Funk wrote:
    lol

Now thats hilarious. Made my day. :D

I wish I were making it up, I couldn't find the SS where someone posted it but you can see it for yourself if you go to cancel now. (you can cancel your cancel so don't worry)
    edited February 2010
    I wish I were making it up, I couldn't find the SS where someone posted it but you can see it for yourself if you go to cancel now. (you can cancel your cancel so don't worry)

I think this is because they use the same payment system for CO and STO. They could still make the small change of giving STO it's own look there but yeah.
    edited February 2010
    Gremnosh wrote: »
    I think this is because they use the same payment system for CO and STO. They could still make the small change of giving STO it's own look there but yeah.

They could and they should, It's bad enough I felt like I was playing CO They didn't need to remind me when I went to cancel my payment options.
    edited February 2010
    dethduck wrote: »
    What does any of this have to do with the engine?

I'd say, everything. Gameplay and gameworld are closely tied to the engine rules and limitations. The engine is the reason for all the tiny instances, the reason for exploration being a small room of mirrors where you race other players to catch the next anomaly, the reason for frequent loading screens, the reason for Sector Space, the reason for no bridge view functionality, and so on and so forth.

I see many people hoping that the game will improve. Sure, it will improve many areas, such as content, bugs, polishing, and all this will improve the player experience. But its core building blocks will be always the same, defining everything the game can and cannot do and at what cost. Unless they change the engine, which is the OP's point.
    edited February 2010
    I'm with the OP. Copy/pasting Champions Online and calling it Star Trek was a cheap move on their part. Ever try to cancel your account? They ask you why you are canceling your CHAMPIONS ONLINE account!

Are you really going to repeat this in every post that you make? If you canceled, why lurk the forums? Good riddance when they close the forums to people without active accounts.

Nobody will miss you or your sour grapes.
This discussion has been closed.