test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please tell me someone else saw this...

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Ok, i know this is going to sound weird, but I swear to god this just happened.

I got logged out, and when I went to log back in it said:

"Map is not allowing connections because cryptic told to die"

Or something very similar to that! It was very quick before it sent me back to the login screen. Did ANYONE else notice this? Did STO get TRIBBLE or something???? AM I GOING INSANE??? :confused: :eek:
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'm at work atm but that sounds like something I'd really liked to be there to witness.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It was totally insane! It was one of those moments where you just stare at the screen and think to yourself "What the heck just happened? Am I losing it???"

I really hope someone else saw that message. Also, I know the grammar is off in that sentence I quoted but that's how it appeared in the message as well. So probably not an official message. Though, I suppose the nature of the message itself, and not just the grammar, would indicate that....

Now I've seen it all...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm scared.... :(

Hold me!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If that happened then I'd guess someone TRIBBLE them. Wouldn't be the first time a game got TRIBBLE I suppose.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Actually, die is a valid command in most servers, and scripting languages. It could just simply mean that the User "cryptic" (a server side admin) sent the command "die" to the map server
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thuz wrote:
    Actually, die is a valid command in most servers, and scripting languages. It could just simply mean that the User "cryptic" (a server side admin) sent the command "die" to the map server

That actually sounds some what possible. And that makes me realise how long it has been since I last did anything to do with networking or scripting since I didn't even think about that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vaenn wrote: »
    Ok, i know this is going to sound weird, but I swear to god this just happened.

I got logged out, and when I went to log back in it said:

"Map is not allowing connections because cryptic told to die"

Or something very similar to that! It was very quick before it sent me back to the login screen. Did ANYONE else notice this? Did STO get TRIBBLE or something???? AM I GOING INSANE??? :confused: :eek:

Yes I've had this before, it seemed to happen to me when I was exploring an unknown system. I was booted out and then when I logged on I got this message as well, not sure what it was that caused this but it had seemed to resolve itself after a few attempts. I think it may be due to how the genesis engine creates these random systems to exploration (unless your issue was not caused by an exploration) but no you're not going insane :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks guys. Greatly appreciated. At least now I know there is a decent explanation for this. I really was starting to doubt my sanity for a moment there. :o

Also surprised I wasn't flamed endlessly or trolled. So thanks for that. Though I'm sure it will come. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Exactly. It sounds like you got routed to map right before the server was told to shut down but connected to that server afterwards. The server is trying to get all the players off it so that it can shut down, so it won't accept new players and the farm is not supposed to route new players to it. But you slipped through the cracks.

The messages means the "die" command (remove yourself from the farm as soon as you can get all the users off you) was sent by the user "cryptic", which is likely the name of the administration account.

My bet is that high load created a timing problem where there is a small interval in-between when the server began refusing new connections and when the farm stopped referring new connections to it. Most likely, the server sent a "take me out of the pool" command to the distribution system, waited a few seconds, and then stopped accepting new connections -- but due to load or other issues, the command to process the server's removal from the pool took longer than expected. It's also possible that your computer added to the window, by waiting too long after being told where to connect before completing the connection.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks guys. Greatly appreciated. At least now I know there is a decent explanation for this. I really was starting to doubt my sanity for a moment there. :o

Also surprised I wasn't flamed endlessly or trolled. So thanks for that. Though I'm sure it will come. :p

You were too matter-of-fact in your post to get the flamers or trolls to appear. Better luck next time. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gremnosh wrote: »
    You were too matter-of-fact in your post to get the flamers or trolls to appear. Better luck next time. ;)

Lol, yeah I suppose that's it. What I find funny is my reaction. The reason i was doubting my sanity is because I just took some of my pain meds for a recent leg injury and they DO tend to make me a little loopy. So I spent a few minutes reading the medication label and looking up side effects! :o

I had no idea a server command would be called "die" rather than something like "shut off" or something. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lol, yeah I suppose that's it. What I find funny is my reaction. The reason i was doubting my sanity is because I just took some of my pain meds for a recent leg injury and they DO tend to make me a little loopy. So I spent a few minutes reading the medication label and looking up side effects! :o

I had no idea a server command would be called "die" rather than something like "shut off" or something. :D

Impeccable timing on the server side messages part then. :)

And from my own experience those types of commands are always kept as short and straight forward as possible, hence "die" rather than "shut off".
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    JoelKatz wrote: »
    Exactly. It sounds like you got routed to map right before the server was told to shut down but connected to that server afterwards. The server is trying to get all the players off it so that it can shut down, so it won't accept new players and the farm is not supposed to route new players to it. But you slipped through the cracks.

The messages means the "die" command (remove yourself from the farm as soon as you can get all the users off you) was sent by the user "cryptic", which is likely the name of the administration account.

My bet is that high load created a timing problem where there is a small interval in-between when the server began refusing new connections and when the farm stopped referring new connections to it. Most likely, the server sent a "take me out of the pool" command to the distribution system, waited a few seconds, and then stopped accepting new connections -- but due to load or other issues, the command to process the server's removal from the pool took longer than expected. It's also possible that your computer added to the window, by waiting too long after being told where to connect before completing the connection.

wow summary pls :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    that is pretty creepy tho... Devs might be pullin tricks on you maybe. Disney put big ....things...in their product! Why not let Cryptic TRIBBLE with our heads too!?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wow summary pls :D

So this is what I got from it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A server admin sent the "die" command to a server to get it to disconnect from the farm (group of servers?) and stop all connections to it from the outside. Somehow, due to a timing problem, I still managed to slip in but it gave that message to let me know the server was not taking connections and the reason.

Still, it was creepy. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    A server admin sent the "die" command to a server to get it to disconnect from the farm (group of servers?) and stop all connections to it from the outside. Somehow, due to a timing problem, I still managed to slip in but it gave that message to let me know the server was not taking connections and the reason.
    Most likely, that is precisely what happened.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So this is what I got from it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Still, it was creepy. :D

This seem to have been the case, yes.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It could also be just place holder text for one of the tips, for example while changing maps i saw one briefly that said something like 'our shields down fire phasers." or something, but it was nonsensical and not not a tip about phasers being effective against shields or anything like that.
This discussion has been closed.