test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A quick lesson on what happens when a game ships.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Having personally worked in the game industry myself, I'd just like to take a moment and explain to the players just exactly what happens when a game ships.

Prior to the game actually shipping, there's a concept called "crunch time". This might be family to most of you, if not, here's a quick explanation: extremely long and brutal work hours during the week, for months on end. I'm not talking about 45 / 50 hours per week. This can go up to 80 hours per week, for MONTHS.

These long work hours pushes employees to their limit, making them very tired and very stressed, and sometimes you just don't see the end of the tunnel. Especially during beta, when bugs keep on pouring in.

When a game finally manages to ship, employees are giving a break. They go on paid vacations called PTO, known as Paid Time Off. It would be inhumane to have them continue working at the pace they were at prior to shipping, and to be honest, they just couldn't.

I've seen many of you wondering what exactly is Cryptic currently doing, and why aren't they listening to you guys. They *are* listening, it's just that the employees are given a small time-out prior to resuming work on the game. After such a brutal work schedule, many employees will actually quit the company, and will have to be replaced, which also takes time.

So please, just be patient, and rest assured that your complaints are heard. Just give them a break guys, and let them see their wives and children again.

Thanks
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
This discussion has been closed.