test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Obnoxious Hail Screen

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
The hail screen always seems to get in my way at the wrong times.

For example:
The enemy spawns and the hail screen comes up. I know you can 'F' pass the screen but sometimes the 'F' doesn't register because of lag and it bugs out. Then I go to click on it, but sometime because of lag I have to spam the click. Then comes another annoying hail screen to defend blah blah and I commence the spamming again. My forward facing shields are at 0 because I eat 9 torpedo from 3 frigates along with phaser fire.

Suggestion:
Have a comm badge light up at the bottom right hand corner so you can choose to answer a hail or not. We are the captains, shouldn't we choose when to answer a hail?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Something like this would be nice, but not totally needed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zarro wrote: »
    Something like this would be nice, but not totally needed.

While not totally needed, it would be more than just a convenience. I see this as a serious flaw in the game's design.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    While not totally needed, it would be more than just a convenience. I see this as a serious flaw in the game's design.

Ditto, it's more of a hindrance then anything.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They could even make it way smaller and dock it to the left or right so it wouldn't be in the way. They could even do away with the cheesy portraits that come up with each message. Or at least they could make it an option to show it or not. That way people that like the portraits can still have them and people that feel that a more minimized approach is better could take advantage of the setting. It's definitely to big and in the wrong place right now. Lots of ways to fix it though.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    agreed

nothing more annoying, they should make it come up minimized and flashing so YOU can press it, not have it come in your face while you are still fighting and what not.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Aeshec wrote: »
    They could even make it way smaller and dock it to the left or right so it wouldn't be in the way. They could even do away with the cheesy portraits that come up with each message. Or at least they could make it an option to show it or not. That way people that like the portraits can still have them and people that feel that a more minimized approach is better could take advantage of the setting. It's definitely to big and in the wrong place right now. Lots of ways to fix it though.

Yeah that is a good suggestion.

It would be nice to disable portraits. I kind of find it a little cheesy. It would better if it was just a text communique.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    One thing has just occurred to me. There are some missions where, after beaming up from a planet, you are already within firing range of the "boss" of the mission, and usually you are hailed by them right before the fight. If the hailing messages didn't pop up immediately during these times, most players would start blasting away first thing.

I guess that they would have to leave the hailing messages as they are for these, because it would not make much sense to talk to them after you've blown them up.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I miss the old OPS, NAV and SCI buttons we used to have in early closed beta. Perhaps something like that should be put back in for dealing with incoming hails.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Agreed. Having that thing pop up in my face all the time ... one of the worst features. No way to controll it, no way to move it. Don't like it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SpockOn wrote:
    Agreed. Having that thing pop up in my face all the time ... one of the worst features. No way to controll it, no way to move it. Don't like it.

I press X to get it out the way, then when im FULLY done with my mission THEN I press the tab to open it.

but having it in your face at the wrong time, well thats just no good.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We are the captains, shouldn't we choose when to answer a hail?

You can choose whether to answer it or not, usually it's one of your BO's telling you you're getting a hail, but either way, it gets in the way. along with the "beam up....DO IT NOW!" on ground missions. Smack bang in the middle of the screen. Com badge glowie would be awesome. at the very least let us move it in the HUD options :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I dont remember a hailing screen every poping when entering a mission where damage was occuring faster then a single click could close it.

It might be a play style thing.

On the few missions where you warp in within range of enemies, it is only a second to close that window, and reflects the second shot lack of initiative of dropping into a section in range of an enemy.

But people have different play styles.

A possible solution could be making all hail screens just light up comms button could be a player settings option, but that would actually add another click to the sequence.

With my play style I don't see any problem with the way it works.

If you are talking about pvp results screen, that pops while in combat, so I understand that comment, but have not seen many pops except when enemies dispersed or on a few episodes when jumping into hostile area within range of enemies.
This discussion has been closed.