test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

MMO What can you expect.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hello,

Having been playing MMO's for many years well over 10 I believe now. So I would like to think I know a little about how they work and even how they are run. So I thought while I am stuck in the queue waiting I would share some of the things I have learnt.

1. Launch - You can test games all you want but it nothing like finally going live. It generates all sorts of issues. The developers do work hard to fix them but in the first few weeks you will have to expect thngs may not go smooth. You have to accept their will be down time, new patches, the world will lag etc.

STO compared to most games has gone well. Few people like to point out other MMORPGS but I do recall how they started massive queues in WOW, rubber banding from one side of the world to the other in SWG and in WOW. While AO was unlplayable for 7 days.

2. A Good Starting point. MMO's are never launched in the finished state. At best they have a few rough edges at worst whole elements are missing, WOW had little well no PvP to start with, SWG was missing towns, transport, POTBS was unbalanced. It takes a little time to correct these issues the key does the game have something of a core product to build on.

3. The haters. I have been their mainly with EQII. Looking back it was not such a bad game but I was let down because to me it did not build on or improve much on EQI. The truth was it was just not the game for me. This is going to be true in STO it will not suit everyone you have to accept that it is not the games fault. Sometimes the style of the game like EVE. It is a very good game and I have played it from time to time but I always just feel lost in the vast space not seeing anyone.

4. Dreams. We all have ideas of what MMO's are going to be like. I have heard peoples views on STO and seems to me many of the issues simply relate to what people thought the game would be like. It never works going into a MMO expecting it to be like your dreams. You are not going to be the next Captain Kirk where each adventure is brand new. It is a MMO expect a repeat of missions and those endless days of grind.

5. Burn out. I have seen a few people saying they played beta to level 45 and are currently level 30 + and they hate the game. This is less about the game and more about the people and every MMO has them. I call them the burnouts normally they rush through the game at 90 miles an hour. Their only aim is to level and they play 12 + hours a day. It is not a shock to find these people soon burn out.

STO should be played as a game not as a job. The goal is not to level but to enjoy playing it. Their is no game to win no goal to reach and it matters not how long it takes you. You will get a lot more from the game playing at a steady pace for 6 months and rushing through in 1 and burning out.

Lets see if the queue has finished ....
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Still stuck in the queue :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm sorry, but your calm, reasoned post is not welcome on the boards at this time.

Would you like to replace it with a frothing rant? Those seem to be more in fashion right now.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I agree that games that you play to level are easily burned out on. I enjoy playing STO, and feel no great pressure to level, so that's a plus. Of course, I use the word "play" loosely, as I'm more of a "getting ready to play" kind of guy. 215 out of 238 at the moment. Good times.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    A grown up and mature person posting on the forum? grab him......!!!!

*throws a cast net on Kirrana*
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mickeyx wrote:
    A grown up and mature person posting on the forum? grab him......!!!!

*throws a cast net on Kirrana*

Grown up and mature persons dont play MMOs :p

just us kids :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What? Coherence? Well thought out? Logical?

/signed on this one.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Being able to log in and play when the server is up and running is something everyone should expect.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    kirrana wrote:
    STO should be played as a game not as a job. The goal is not to level but to enjoy playing it. Their is no game to win no goal to reach and it matters not how long it takes you. You will get a lot more from the game playing at a steady pace for 6 months and rushing through in 1 and burning out.

Lets see if the queue has finished ....

From what I have noticed, too many MMO gamers approach the game like it's suppose to fill some sort of hole in their life, and elevate it far too high in their lives, which makes every problem, big or little, magnified. Many don't seem to have the common sense to stop playing something he or she does not like. Then for some reason, there is this competitiveness between MMO game players which causes many to go to game forums simply to harass and troll another game. I say the best course of action is to not take it so seriously, and find humor in all the people bent out of shape.
This discussion has been closed.