test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where are patch notes for 2/7/2010?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Cryptic, thank you for posting patch notes here and trying to get this forum category started. But it's not working and it's not enough. We're in release of a major MMO by a major developer, but we don't have any patch notes for the latest patch?

We also don't have accurate version information from the two 2/5/2010 patches. What the heck?!?!?

Please share with us the release notes in a timely and accurate fashion. Thanks.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Fixed bugs.

Made server stability improvements.

Added logic to shunt worst complainers into longest queues.

Fixed some random disconnect bugs.

Added new random disconnect bugs.

Refilled triticale bin for tribbles.
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    Fixed bugs.

lol...

Don't forget: Fixed minor bugs we've never seen before, but failed to fix major bugs. ;)
    edited February 2010
    UPDATE: This downtime is strictly server maintenance to work on performance issues. No gameplay changes.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=107581
    edited February 2010
    Cryptic, thank you for posting patch notes here and trying to get this forum category started. But it's not working and it's not enough. We're in release of a major MMO by a major developer, but we don't have any patch notes for the latest patch?

We also don't have accurate version information from the two 2/5/2010 patches. What the heck?!?!?

Please share with us the release notes in a timely and accurate fashion. Thanks.

Yeah, it'd be nice to see patch notes actually make it to the patch notes forum.
    edited February 2010
    To much time is being spent on taking away fluffy phasers and not enough time on fixing real issues like server stability + fleet+vault permissions within a fleet...

Cryptic, Anyone can join my fleet and rob every last credit out of every vault tab we now have, please fix this issue ASAP (and please dont troll me with a way of having to ram a setting into the database by click this tab and that tab... its broken get it fixed!)

Seems cryptic are doing nothing about the credit farmers and doing ntohing about making a fleets energy credits secure... anyone else see a theme here ???

Cryptic have you left these bugs with the permission system in the fleet vaults purposely to aid people to steal credits to then sell back to us for real money ??

he only thing this bug does is make me swan off to earth starbase ever time a member deposits to have to withdraw it... PLZ SORT THE BUGS THAT NEED SORTING FIRST OH AND STOP TAKING THINGS LIKE COLOUR PHASERS OF OUT THE GAME UNTIL YOU HAVE ACTUALLY FIXED THE GAME.

I'm alifetime subscriber, you can compensate me for all this downtime and bug fest I'm having to put up with by giving me back my coloured phasers, When you have fixed the major issues with the game you can take my toys away again...
    edited February 2010
    HubsST wrote: »
    Cryptic, Anyone can join my fleet and rob every last credit out of every vault tab we now have, please fix this issue ASAP (and please dont troll me with a way of having to ram a setting into the database by click this tab and that tab... its broken get it fixed!)

Seems cryptic are doing nothing about the credit farmers and doing ntohing about making a fleets energy credits secure... anyone else see a theme here ???

Cryptic have you left these bugs with the permission system in the fleet vaults purposely to aid people to steal credits to then sell back to us for real money ??

Ditto. I feel that either Cryptic is dragging their feet for serious bug/oversight fixes or spending all of their time just scrambling to keep the servers up since they've been cheap on providing a reliable amount of server processing power and/or bandwidth.
    edited February 2010
    Jhary wrote:
    UPDATE: This downtime is strictly server maintenance to work on performance issues. No gameplay changes.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=107581

Hmm, that is strange, because ground movement was fixed.
    edited February 2010
    Patch notes are on the launcher ..have been with every patch when server comes up.
    edited February 2010
    I downloaded a patch a few hours ago with no release notes anywhere. I had played 6 hours before then without a patch, so it is new and there are no notes for it.
    edited February 2010
    AlexNor wrote: »
    Patch notes are on the launcher ..have been with every patch when server comes up.

Failure to read my post/thread? There are no patch notes for 02/07/2010. There are only patch notes for the 02/05/2010 two patches.

On top of that, the launcher just gets data from the same place http://www.startrekonline.com/release_notes does. Didn't you know the launcher is just a glorified browser (a windows app with a browser engine from your PC)?
    I downloaded a patch a few hours ago with no release notes anywhere. I had played 6 hours before then without a patch, so it is new and there are no notes for it.

Exactly, my point. :)
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    Fixed bugs.

Love it.
    ever so much.
    edited February 2010
    I remember EQ, they never announced any changes. Every change was stealth, good or bad. It was part of the Mystery.

Blizzard announces almost every change in patch notes, and when even the slightest thing is changed without a patch note people scream.

In the long run the Devs can't win. If I were cryptic I'd leave off the release notes and let people wonder.
    edited February 2010
    Kineel wrote:
    I remember EQ, they never announced any changes. Every change was stealth, good or bad. It was part of the Mystery.

Blizzard announces almost every change in patch notes, and when even the slightest thing is changed without a patch note people scream.

In the long run the Devs can't win. If I were cryptic I'd leave off the release notes and let people wonder.

Fully agree.
    I'd even like them to change raw numbers slightly over time... to "ease people" into changes without the sudden knee jerk reaction that the sky is falling.

Cryptic, you're in charge. Sure, you may listen to the community, but in the end your word is law. Drop the hammer.
    edited February 2010
    Kineel wrote:

Premature conclusion and bad decision, so glad you have nothing to do with development.

An MMO developer should document all fixes/updates that apply to gameplay or the client from a user's perspective. Don't document security fixes, anti-cheat updates, etc. When client or server software performance enhancements are made, they just need to mentioned as such, no need to go into details on it.

Look at almost any software online and you'll see the same trend. Why? So people know what's changed/fixed so they know how to use the software. For example, "fleet resource PvP battles now working", so users can go enjoy those missions if a release note existed for it. That's common sense here folks. I don't care what other failed release note practices are existence out there, it is common, acceptable practice to document changes to software that affect users.

Even if the 02/07/2010 patch was just for client and/or server stability, then that's all that needs to be said. But it still needs to be there.
    edited February 2010
    No community rep or dev response on this thread yet? :rolleyes: Interesting.
    edited February 2010
    Not all patches will include changes that affect gameplay.

They're under no obligation to tell us when they fix a typo in a comment of their code, but doing so would still end up in a re-compilation and a new revision.

And they already said what today's maintenance was about. Someone even quoted it in here.
    edited February 2010
    These guys don't want you to know what they're doing. That way you have to spend time figuring out what they nerf before you can complain. Transparent.....
    edited February 2010
    No community rep or dev response on this thread yet? :rolleyes: Interesting.

I don't think one will visit this thread. Cryptic just doesn't seem to understand they have customers yet, it just isn't clicking for some reason.

Every MMO I've played(not many) have had release notes for every patch, I liked knowing what is going on. This game is just a foreign thing to me, information for this game is almost a complete mystery.

Most good information you get comes from the forums from people who have found it from somewhere, just look at Suricata's STO Ship Tier Chart, some random dude on the Internet put together a ship chart that is more accurate and more informative than Cryptic's own website.

Cryptic is either unwilling or unable to provide the information we desire. I have a slight suspicion as to which one it is. In either event, Cryptic needs to step up and provide information about the game so we know what is going on.
This discussion has been closed.