test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It's awesome that these forums are moderated and all but...

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Is there any chance that some of the resources going into editing peoples posts when they rage about problems and/or closing/deleting threads, could be diverted into community communication?

I agree that forum moderation is important, but communicating with the community about awareness of bugs or inbalances in existing systems and regarding any likely changes in the coming weeks, is even more important than ensuring that people are treated with a happy face when they first view the forums.

Seems abit unusal for a development team who house their own community staff rather than leaving it all up to publishers and other external groups, to actually suffer from a reduction in community communication regarding the state of things.

[Edit]I am not under the misunderstanding that all GMs are developers and have easy access to on the spot updates on all the workings, but at the same time some measures in place to allow non-developer community staff to have access to some general information to address the community would be greatly appreciated. [/Edit]

Infact, even ingame notifications about unplanned server shutdowns before everyone is kicked off would be a appreciated good start. :)

By unplanned server shutdowns, I mean times when a technician is at hand and perposely shuts down the servers for unannounced maintainence. Sorry should of made that clearer
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Moderators are just drones acting under the hive-mind that is Cryptic. They do not speak for the collective.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tiki832 wrote: »
    Infact, even ingame notifications about unplanned server shutdowns before everyone is kicked off would be a appreciated good start. :(

I agree to every thing except that. Unplanned down time is well.......... unplanned.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tiki832 wrote: »
    Infact, even ingame notifications about unplanned server shutdowns before everyone is kicked off would be a appreciated good start. :(

thats the wonderful thing about unplanned downtime

its unplanned.

if they find a problem and need to pull the servers down right away, there's normally an announcement, but if the servers just fall over, they cant really warn you about it.

unless you mean unscheduled downtime?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    True brokendish, but even a "Just to let everyone know we're taking the server down in 2 minutes for unplanned maintenance" when possible would be nice.

Have been afew (not many I will admit) times I have been playing the game, only to be booted on the login screen and attempting to log back in returns a "Systems operator has disabled all logins", and then viewing the forums quickly shows a new thread saying they intentionally shut down the server for unplanned maintenance.

Though yes, when it is actually just the server falling over and knocking itself out, there isn't really much you can do to announce it ingame before hand. :)

Edit: yes, by unplanned I suppose I do mean unscheduled.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't normally do bumpage, but it seems I made this thread at the worst possible time and it got pushed back to page2/3 within 10 minutes because of 7-9 threads all about the same server capacity woes, and personally I think seeing how people who aren't claiming to never play the game again feel about the levels of community communication is somewhat more game discussion focused than stage performances.

(Not to be rude to those who did made those threads as you have concerns as well, but when there are 6 or more active threads already all on the first page on the same subject it kind of comes as less about wanting the problem solved and more about just wanting a personal room to shout in.)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Forum moderators are usually not the same people who communicate with the community regarding bug status, pipelines and outages. They often don't speak 'engineer', having specced in 'fanboy' and 'troll'. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That's also true Zen, though if enough resources can go into ensuring that forums are well moderated (even during weekends it seems, though could be wrong there), then it would be a shame if some of that could not go into community communication instead.

Being aware of the status of prolonged issues or awareness of general agreed inbalances.. even if it's as simple as "We're aware of this inbalance in this feature, and if all goes to plan it should be addressed in the next non-hotfix patch sometime in the next 2 weeks or so", would I suspect over time go some way in reducing the number of annoyed player threads that need moderation in the first place (in the long run anyway, launches are always a haven for such things).

Though perhaps the general consensus is that people will always whine and moan regardless to if you communicate and address their initial problems, so just leave them to it altogether, and lets do something else with the time.

*shrugs*
This discussion has been closed.