test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Good moderation.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
These forums need good moderation.

What good moderation entails, is having moderators who have a presence in the forum, and who keep things in check with a gentle reminder and a clear and established visibility.

It is not enough to pick through the list of 'reports' and react to the individual post that has been reported, because this is how the passive-aggressive trolls will manipulate the system. Moderating that way empowers people who are good at antagonizing others.

A moderator who knows the topic and recognizes contributors will recognize the trolls, and not be fooled into handing out infractions based on reactions to trolling.

These forums need to improve their moderator visibility, and the moderators need to make a gentle presence felt. Handing out infractions from behind a curtain is not moderation, that's punishment.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    These forums need good moderation.
    And I need a Lamborghini, unfortunately that costs money.

See what I am getting at?
    edited February 2010
    I wish Cryptic would crack down on the forums already. I come here for mature, decent game discussion, not to see a forum full of posts by people who are immature and expect everything to go their way.
    edited February 2010
    I see just as many trolls in the so called "fanboy" camp as I do in the so called "hater" camp.

I also see people being called trolls for any criticisms, any disagreement.. and quite often just for having an off the wall sense of humor.

My point is, the tone of this forum could lighten up significantly if more people just put on a thicker skin and stopped pointing fingers all over the place calling each other trolls, haters, fanboys, or whatever.

The best response to something you disagree with, if you believe that the person presenting it is simply trying to get you riled up, is just to ignore it and move on.
    edited February 2010
    I see just as many trolls in the so called "fanboy" camp as I do in the so called "hater" camp.

I also see people being called trolls for any criticisms, any disagreement.. and quite often just for having an off the wall sense of humor.

My point is, the tone of this forum could lighten up significantly if more people just put on a thicker skin and stopped pointing fingers all over the place calling each other trolls, haters, fanboys, or whatever.

The best response to something you disagree with, if you believe that the person presenting it is simply trying to get you riled up, is just to ignore it and move on.

I never though i would say this but i agree with uncleromulous.

*runs away crying*
    edited February 2010
    So we need more mods to stop your trolling?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=1920858&postcount=11

Im still laughing at your lack of understanding at this game.
    edited February 2010
    mickeyx wrote:
    I never though i would say this but i agree with uncleromulous.

*runs away crying*

I'm good for a crumb of wisdom every now and again. :D
    edited February 2010

Lets not. You just want people to not report you so you can feel free to troll without fear of repercussion. Probably the same way people do on the wow forums.

If you break the rules, or make an offensive comment to anyone, then expect to be reported. it's as simple as that. If the "troll" showed a little maturity intheir posts, and by this i mean posting a well thought out, non flame-bait thread, with good reasoning, then nobody would need to report or flame back.

Unfortunatly, they simply resort to very childish, very immature behaviour, which always ends in a lock or ban.

Again, act maturely, and you will be treated maturely
    edited February 2010
    The forums is a mini game and we can expect to see C-Store items soon.
    edited February 2010
    tedgp123 wrote: »
    Lets not. You just want people to not report you so you can feel free to troll without fear of repercussion. Probably the same way people do on the wow forums.

If you break the rules, or make an offensive comment to anyone, then expect to be reported. it's as simple as that. If the "troll" showed a little maturity intheir posts, and by this i mean posting a well thought out, non flame-bait thread, with good reasoning, then nobody would need to report or flame back.

Unfortunatly, they simply resort to very childish, very immature behaviour, which always ends in a lock or ban.

I do not insult people, do not "troll" and when I have a criticism, I do my best to go into as much detail as possible. I do not call Cryptic names, curse their children, or post rage-quit threads. I often talk about the aspects of the game that I like, and often help new players with answers to the questions that they have. Yet, as you have just proven, I get called a troll anyway.
    edited February 2010
    I do not insult people, do not "troll" and when I have a criticism, I do my best to go into as much detail as possible. I do not call Cryptic names, curse their children, or post rage-quit threads. I often talk about the aspects of the game that I like, and often help new players with answers to the questions that they have. Yet, as you have just proven, I get called a troll anyway.

LOL..sorry :(

i sometimes do feel sorry for you.
    edited February 2010
    mickeyx wrote:
    LOL..sorry :(

i sometimes do feel sorry for you.

Nahh.. you're cool. I got no beef with you. At least you have a sense of humor.
    edited February 2010
    Personally, I think that instead of hiring more mods to police the forums, a lot of the animosity that's prevalent on here would be alleviated if the status of the game improves.

Therefore, it behooves (haven't used that word in a while) Cryptic to concentrate on make the game and the servers more stable and bug free. Fix the game and the community will fix itself.

Hiring more mods will only fix these forums but the STO community is much bigger than forums.startrekonline.com. Not to mention that harsh moderation will only heighten the animosity because people will have no where to vent their frustration.
    edited February 2010
    Strombonni wrote:
    I wish Cryptic would crack down on the forums already. I come here for mature, decent game discussion, not to see a forum full of posts by people who are immature and expect everything to go their way.

You're looking for mature conversation on a gaming forum? Boy, are you looking in the wrong place...:p
    edited February 2010
    tedgp123 wrote: »

That sound good 'n all... in theory.

However, it does not work like that in the real life. You can be as mature as is possible is convievable, and still get called troll, hater, fanboy or whatever.

It does not depend on how mature you are and how mature you treat others, it comes down to how mature the replyer is. And it's that factor that cause forums to go down in flames, especially if they are poorly moderated, like these forums, and some other i know *cough* WoW *cough*.
    edited February 2010
    the big problem is the weekends.

visable moderation happens more in the week, at the weekends it seems the GM's have moderation duty, and they tend to act more in the behind the scenes manner.

it would be nice to see reminders from devs, to ya know, stay on topic, be constructive and not hit every thread you can find to complain about your specific problem, which seems to be the way some people work, but thats going to require a lot of work from a lot of people.

thankfully it seems as though they will be getting more people to do CS based things and hopefully forum moderation will be one such area to see increased staffing.
This discussion has been closed.