test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Graphics card - which one?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Ok so here's my choices - bear in mind that I don't want to pay huge amounts more for a tiny performance boost. My current card is a 3650 but that seems to be dying so that's my reason for replacement - it's performance has been fine by me.

Radeon 4350 - £30
Radeon 4650 - £60
Radeon 5670 - £60

G210 - £35
GT220 - £54
GT 240 £80

So anyone got any thoughts? I'm a bit hopeless with graphics cards.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    i'm not sure what the differences in the newer card models are.

nvidia has great driver support and generally runs quieter than ati cards. although nvidia cards generally require more power.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    outside of their actual memory capacity 512-1gb etc. I would look at how many megahertz their respective clock speeds are. The easiest thing to do is look up reviews on each of the cards you listed, most sites that have reviews will give the long schpeel on its tech sepcs, but will also give you results on various games they've tested it on (in regards to fps and game settings).

Also i don't know if its an option for your pc, but i have the nvidea 9800 series card that has a 1gb memory capacity, and assuming the pound is still roughly worth about 1.4 american dollars, it would only cost a few more pounds then the gt 240. I'm only mentioning this cause its what i have currently and i have no problems with running the game smoothly.

in the past i've had radeon cards, and they worked fine, the only annoying problem was that depending on the manufacturer you sometimes have to rely on them for the drivers instead of ati themselves.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i love my HIS Radeon 4670 - 1gb, it's got the Radiator heatsink on it instead of the fan.

HIS Radeon 4670 - 1gb

best Video card i have EVER had. stay cool, no heat problems.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What's the difference between the heatsink and the fan?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    david26th wrote: »
    What's the difference between the heatsink and the fan?

less powerful cards don't need a fan. a heatsink makes less noise(none), but more powerful cards need both heatsinks and fans, unless you want to buy and install aftermarket heatsinks or expensive watercooling.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Heh and people wonder why I hate buying new components. I can never get my head around it.

Frustrating really, it only just started today, I was in a space mission and my screen just went blank, like my monitor was on standby, has happened a couple of times in and out of game since, if I switch to my integrated card the problem does not seem to occur. Bizarre.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Quick follow up

the GT210 and the Radeon 4350 - how do they compare?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    GTX 260 FTW avoid anything made by amd like the plague
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just upgraded from Gforce 8800 to BFG Tech GeForce 220 GT. i personally stay away from all ATI Products and go Nvidia and latest drivers work fine. and im running full bore all graphics on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    david26th wrote: »
    Ok so here's my choices - bear in mind that I don't want to pay huge amounts more for a tiny performance boost. My current card is a 3650 but that seems to be dying so that's my reason for replacement - it's performance has been fine by me.

Radeon 4350 - £30
    Radeon 4650 - £60
    Radeon 5670 - £60

G210 - £35
    GT220 - £54
    GT 240 £80

So anyone got any thoughts? I'm a bit hopeless with graphics cards.

Try the Tom's Hardware website

I have found them to be a great resource. They feature a monthly Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart .

Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Asmick wrote: »
    I just upgraded from Gforce 8800 to BFG Tech GeForce 220 GT. i personally stay away from all ATI Products and go Nvidia and latest drivers work fine. and im running full bore all graphics on

I too recently went with the BFG 220 GT with no complaints. I also prefer Nvidia over ATI, however, I have to admit that is personal opinion on my part.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When I built this desktop I put a 4850 in it and had no end of trouble, overheating, freezes, driver issues and after a year I ripped it out and put a GTX850 in to replace it. I wish I'd gone with Nvidia from the start as I've had no trouble at all with this card. I will never use an ATI card again.
This discussion has been closed.