test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Omfg Enough Spam!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Do somthing about this ******** please asap! You CAN NOT go into a zone and read chat without seeing tons of STO gold and power level offers. Really killing the enjoyment.

Dont give me any of that "just report them" TRIBBLE. I instantly report every single spammer as soon as I see it. But this is seriously out of effing control guys.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Skireen wrote: »
    Do somthing about this ******** please asap! You CAN NOT go into a zone and read chat without seeing tons of STO gold and power level offers. Really killing the enjoyment.

Dont give me any of that "just report them" TRIBBLE. I instantly report every single spammer as soon as I see it. But this is seriously out of effing control guys.

RightClick .Ignore. Report Spam. End.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

if you dont report it, nothing can get done

so report it, seriously

and if you dont want to report it, you have no right to complain
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The OP just said he reports every spammer he comes across... don't you guys read?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    THyRoID wrote: »
    The OP just said he reports every spammer he comes across... don't you guys read?

Yeah a bit sick of those willing to be the first to shout at the op but not actually read more than a few words...

Iv put on ignore and report spam 5 times on some names and it still doesn't work......:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    THyRoID wrote: »

yes we can read, but there is nothing we can do as players, other then report them and let the GMs handle it. On the same note, GMs can only do so much as well, gold farmers/sellers are one of the hardest things to get rid of in a MMORPG, they all have then, its a trial and error process to get rid of at least 50% of them, but they will never fully go away.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah a bit sick of those willing to be the first to shout at the op but not actually read more than a few words...

Iv put on ignore and report spam 5 times on some names and it still doesn't work......:rolleyes:

If there was another way, i'd have tried it. Just report it and ignore. Easy enough.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think if they just fillter gold and selling on the same line, then we wont have this problem. I mean how many people actually discuss it anyway for it to not be filtered?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ive had them start to send me tells while in sector space now, how much further are these people going to go to irritate normal players?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kyo_daikun wrote: »
    Ive had them start to send me tells while in sector space now, how much further are these people going to go to irritate normal players?

itl get better as the grace periods end, alot of them are operating under canceled pre orders

sinse they cant get free accounts using trials "yet" from this game

and every one you nail is one that wont ever be coming back
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've been getting hammered with spam since the head start weekend and it isn't letting up. I thought I had a load of messages from other players at first, then the reality set in!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    itchy01ca wrote: »
    If there was another way, i'd have tried it. Just report it and ignore. Easy enough.

Try actually reading posts u wolly....

Tryed report spam and ignore since patch doesnt work....for me anyway...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I posted the info on the spammers earlier today. We as a community can make the practice of spamming more expensive than it is worth. I sent abuse complaints in to the hosts of stoship.com and sellsto.com, which are both registered to the same person in China. The server is in Dallas, Tx, and therefore will have to respond to abuse complaints. I figure if we keep making them register new domain names and move their operations, then eventually they will get the hint that spamming ****es people off enough to act. Eventually, they will end up hosting in Korea or China and this will not be an option. There are other ways that are completely legal to deal with them after that.

For now, you can easily find out who they are and fire off those abuse complaints. Use your command prompt (cmd.exe for windows users) and type 'ping www.sellsto.com' and that will resolve the IP address. Then go out to http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and find out where it is and who to send abuse complaints to.

Here is my earlier post with the information on this site: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=108134
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    thevedis wrote: »
    if you dont report it, nothing can get done

so report it, seriously

and if you dont want to report it, you have no right to complain

I agree with you on that but they just keep coming :D

My ignore list is full by the way, can not add any more gold sellers.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Try actually reading posts u wolly....

Tryed report spam and ignore since patch doesnt work....for me anyway...

Seriously isn't that bad for me.. for ME at least. But i can see how having a full iggy list would **** me off to the max. Something must be done.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am not even sure if the repport spam actually repports em to someone who will be doing something. It seems to me that the Repport spam just adds em to your Ignore list.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think they want to get a 100% stable server first, or chuck it in the bin and get a decent server that can run the load properly.

Cryptic dont care about you getting spammed, just keep giving em your money.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I agree it is getting out of hand. I'm getting tired reporting them all as soon as I log in to the system. what we need it a mod in every zone, but quite frankly it's starting to turn in to Star Trek's Mos Eisly.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Urko wrote: »
    I think they want to get a 100% stable server first, or chuck it in the bin and get a decent server that can run the load properly.

Constructive Criticism. This is what they need. A good server.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i agree with op i report them as soon as a see them on their very first tell i see. but they do not stop an just the zone chat they also mail you multiple times and even send tells. something really needs to be done as it is takeing time and focus off what we are doing just to report them. they really are a stupid bunch of people as they were in open beta offering their services as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well they wouldn't spam if people weren't buying the gold. Because people are, they feel they can get more revenue by blagging more people into doing the illegal and possibly being banned just for a few credits because they are far too lazy to actually PLAY the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The gold seller spam is pretty crazy, agreed. It's almost as bad as how Aion was at launch. I'm not sure what they did, but somehow, NCSoft managed to filter out most of the gold spam. However, a lot of people quit by then and I believe that RMT spam was one of the causes.

This is very important and Cryptic's GM staff needs to get on this right away. Now that people bought the game, the most important thing is to get these people to renew their subscription after the free month is up. Therefore, gold spammers need to be dealt with swiftly and ruthlessly.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've already turned off zone/local chat, so I don't even see it anymore. The only thing I need now is to be able to "whitelist" my e-mail. That way only friends, fleet members, exchange, and GM's could send me e-mail.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vervada wrote:
    Well they wouldn't spam if people weren't buying the gold. Because people are, they feel they can get more revenue by blagging more people into doing the illegal and possibly being banned just for a few credits because they are far too lazy to actually PLAY the game.
    We have NO idea about that. The game just came out. People will do it anyway

I think the situation will have improved when the grace period is over.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I got upset with this and found that I not only could NOT ignore these people, because there where 5 accounts doing it every 10 seconds. But that the game system is overloaded for many issues. Even equiping my ship with new weapons had some issues getting through.

I reported the message, but I am afraid that this is a hack attack on the game servers.

Star Trek = USA assest. Why would want to damage it in is first week of normal release.

Hmmm.....

Anyway I opps as well. In trying to ignore players I turned off my chat window and I can't find the on button..

HELP please :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Report spam isn't working. Last night I tried to report four people and there was no confirmation back from the server; it could be that there are too many requests and the script is essentially getting ping flooded or it could be that the moderators turned the script off to go get some more Cheetos, I honestly don't know. I don't understand why they don't have either a chat log script that goes back looking for stogold.com or whatever and auto-terminating the account or have community volunteers that can issue something short, like a 30 minute ban. Sure it could be abused, but the amount of spam in chat and mail is abuse to the rest of the player base.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They should put in a new rule: You cannot send in-game tells or mail until you complete the tutorial. That should cut down on the bots by a large extent.

"But what about people looking for their friends" well, there are plenty of other ways to communicate, right? Alt-tab to IM or Facebook or use your freakin' cell phone. Or just do the tutorial, it takes what, 15 minutes?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yes we can read, but there is nothing we can do as players, other then report them and let the GMs handle it. On the same note, GMs can only do so much as well, gold farmers/sellers are one of the hardest things to get rid of in a MMORPG, they all have then, its a trial and error process to get rid of at least 50% of them, but they will never fully go away.

That has nothing to do with the point I was making, but thanks anyways.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    that what exactly i quit playing LotRO over a year ago due to gold spams and mailbox clutter.
    it getting old reporting the spammers, even they come up with new names, spamming, delete, create new names and spam recyclings.

yes, it is destroying players' trust in devs or in any online games that having spams out of hand, if we could isolate some "international" IP, otherwise, players will just quit and cancel before free 30 days expired.

some players may have strong dislike certain unethicinal asians who keep breaking EULA contracts, that why i never played Lineage 2, FF 11, or other games that have unwanted and undesirable cheats to unbalance gameplays. call yourselves as Elites? heh! more like exploiters who using others to farm and group ganking for rare items for profit that put Ferengi to shame.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Turn off zone chat.

Done.
This discussion has been closed.