test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to fix the downtime issue for non US player base

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
The whole world doesn't revolve around the US. When you need to have downtimes I suggest the following:

- NEVER in any weekend other then emergency maintenance.
- When you need to patch or do maintenance, please evenly rotate the times between the different timezones. For example week 1: 3am-5am PST, week 2: 3am-5am GMT/CET, week 3 back to the US.
Add more timezones to include perhaps Asian player base as surely you would know from where people are logging in.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    EVE Online does server downtime every day from 11-12 GMT. It's simply the lowest use time for a single server cluster game like EVE and STO. Moving the time around is not practical as it is the same staff who are doing it. It is not being done at this time to suit the US -- if you think patching and maintaining at 3am in California suits the US developers, I dunno what to tell you.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Argonnas wrote: »
    The whole world doesn't revolve around the US. When you need to have downtimes I suggest the following:

- NEVER in any weekend other then emergency maintenance.
    - When you need to patch or do maintenance, please evenly rotate the times between the different timezones. For example week 1: 3am-5am PST, week 2: 3am-5am GMT/CET, week 3 back to the US.
    Add more timezones to include perhaps Asian player base as surely you would know from where people are logging in.

The whole world doesn't have to, but the majority of the player base is in the US as well as it being where the servers and staff are located so you'll just have to deal with it, quit the game, or move. Those are your only options. Forum crying won't change that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    alreya wrote:
    EVE Online does server downtime every day from 11-12 GMT. It's simply the lowest use time for a single server cluster game like EVE and STO. Moving the time around is not practical as it is the same staff who are doing it. It is not being done at this time to suit the US -- if you think patching and maintaining at 3am in California suits the US developers, I dunno what to tell you.

Edit: miss-read, sorry :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The whole world doesn't have to, but the majority of the player base is in the US as well as it being where the servers and staff are located so you'll just have to deal with it, quit the game, or move. Those are your only options. Forum crying won't change that.

Too bad you sum it up as forum crying, bitter man. On my end I see it as satisfying a customer and adding some constructive thoughts. Right now the staff works at early early mornings, wouldnt see any problems there in moving times to more appropriate working hours for them. Plus, I think you'd be surprised as to where to majority of the players really come from.
This discussion has been closed.