test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Can you help me please? Where is Sulu?"

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I've posted before that the documentation and tutorial for this game are sorely lacking. The unbelievable amount of "noob questions" in chat at Sol Station is the best evidence that I can give that there are two things going on:

1. The most obvious, people aren't reading what is there because they aren't seeing a need to OR what is written doesn't explain What's In It For Me. You did a great job making the NPC talk about where Sulu is, but take another look at how the noob is supposed to see in the text you present to them that Sulu is standing right beside the Admiral at the other desk. I put this down to one of the most glaring deficiencies of this game, lack of voice overs. If Admiral Quinn SAID "please talk to my adjutant, Commander Sulu, before you leave," then we wouldn't get the plethora of pleas to help find the dude standing right behind them.

2. The tutorial and the documentation, both in print and the online help, are attrocious in my opinion. I'm a Commander 6. I've learned what a deflector dish does in the game by right clicking and selecting random loot console drops and selecting the Info option. I've pieced together that the deflector dish number helps the Tachyon Beam skll and other beam like things that are from the Sci tree. Am I wrong? I'm still trying to piece together what other things my deflector dish can do.

I still don't understand the skill "tree?" I'm randomly selecting things that sound good, but finding they aren't. That's why you are getting bombarded with "can we please get a respecc ability" posts. The point is I'm making important decisions in the blind because what you've given me to inform myself either isn't obvious enough for me to see the information or available enough for me to find it without begging in open chat.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I think the 'Stormwind Guard' that can point you where everything is in WoW would be the ultimate solution in the Sol..

First time running there I got lost all the time, looking at the signs on the walls, the map and the actual reading of the quest log I can easily find my objectives.

Other people should do too..
    edited February 2010
    "Where is Sulu" became very popular during beta, but I think "Where is Memory Alpha" is MUCH worse. People don't realize it's on the map, because they havent discovered the Map (or Journal, for those "Where is XX" questions)
    edited February 2010
    Someone in the chat said "use your brains", however it's hard to use brains when it's obvious that devs didnt use much of their brain capacity either.

I mean, the documentation is lacking badly, there's features that are not mentioned _anywhere_ (melee combo for Klinks), things that are named with 2 or 3 different versions, so you cannot never be too sure what the game means, when it says to go to resources battles etc.
    edited February 2010
    Or better yet. When you get the mission to goto the Seirious sector (spelling) and its not on the map). Its labled on the border with sol btw. Its not an actuall sector written on the map. It took a while to figure that one out.
    edited February 2010
    "Where is Sulu" became very popular during beta, but I think "Where is Memory Alpha" is MUCH worse. People don't realize it's on the map, because they havent discovered the Map (or Journal, for those "Where is XX" questions)

Yes! That one KILLS ME and is a great example of what I'm trying to say with my original post. HOLY CATS Cryptic, if they can't figure out that Memory Alpha is on the damn map after the tutorial then you've got a problem to fix!
    edited February 2010
    Btw you might have to exit the game and re-log in to apply the patch. ATM I dont have permission to get on the server. Looks like there starting to fire it up soon.

edit:
    oops wrong thread
    edited February 2010
    i know where sulu is, i just like taunting people...its fun.
    edited February 2010
    The guidance on the game is pretty poor.

I am Lieutenant 4 (i think) and have got to that point by doing some missions. How exactly does the leveling system work - that isnt obvious other than do alot of missions.

How do you get other parts for your ship - like different saucer sections etc - I am assuming that when you get to Cmdr level more will unlock but is that based on how you spend points while levelling?

I found a site for an unofficial strategy guide and was tempted but $19.99 for a PDF sounds like a rip off merchant at work.

I will trawl the net for walkthroughs etc as hopefully that will provide some info as I have found very few people in game willing to talk and explain some things - for Trek, the community seems pretty unwilling to help out people new to this kind of game.
    edited February 2010
    I try to remember that there are players brand new to MMOs, so I'm a bit tolerant of some questions. Heck, I've been playing MMOs for 10 years and I still have some. There are indeed a few "universals" where MMOs are concerned (C for charachter and num lock for auto run) that this game does differently.

I hate the fact that STO doesn't have detailed mouse-over tooltips. Instead we get the, sometimes vague, "right-click for more info." This makes choosing skills very difficult. It's doubly important right now, because we don't yet have respecs. Quest text is sometimes bad as well. Sometimes you get a sector and system in the text. Others it says talk to bob in the ralph system, and it can be pretty confusing.

That said, I have little toleration for stupidity. After making it to earth spacedock and talk to Admiral Quin, the next NPC you see is Sulu. If you need help to find an NPC that you can find yourself by simply paning your camera to the right, then I cannot offer any advice that will make any of this game easier for you. I'll be the first to admit that I ALWAYS click through pop up newbie-tip windows, BUT I do not complain and beg for help in zone chat when I can't figure out how to open the map.
    edited February 2010
    There is difference between individuals, their inteligence, sense for logic and also oftenly there is also lack of selfrealisation.. or how to call it.

If you cannot read and if you cannot use "M" for map which is absolutely logical if you have played few games in the past, then you cannot really want devs to do absolutely everything for everyone to detail.

I do understand that another part about shields and skill tree. It should be described more in numbers and not just with few examples, that is another story really and devs will definetly do something about it.

But people not reading and not going through tutorial correctly, not using help and such and are so lazy, that they need to ask in channels? If you wanna do something about it, whisper everyone of them and tell them where it is. It is actualy first step of bringing people together and showing who they are..

If will noob ask "Can anyone tell me where Sulu is, please?" then I kindly answer him.
    If will noon ask "OMG WHER IS SULU ?!??!" then I will ignore him..

There is difference between noob and another noob. Worst thing is to insult them, either ignore it or help them.
    Otherwise most people are correct, if someone cannot read, its his/her fault. But in another way, isnt it nice to help people?
    edited February 2010
    the funniest i saw was

q"where is zulu"
    a"next to shaka zulu"
    edited February 2010
    Simple Solution: Implement a "Rookie" channel like EvE has. Goes away after a month. That way people who are vets can go in there and help noobs, otherwise we aren't all bothered with it.
    edited February 2010
    Semperphi wrote: »
    Or better yet. When you get the mission to goto the Seirious sector (spelling) and its not on the map). Its labled on the border with sol btw. Its not an actuall sector written on the map. It took a while to figure that one out.

Yes it is. Every square is a sector, but for game purposes they are grouped up into three-four sector sector blocks. Serious sector block is the starting block and has its name in bright yellow at the top.
    edited February 2010
    Simple Solution: Implement a "Rookie" channel like EvE has. Goes away after a month. That way people who are vets can go in there and help noobs, otherwise we aren't all bothered with it.

Love it.

Cryptic?

We still need better documentation though, and I think Cryptic GMs should man the rookie channel.
    edited February 2010
    What's funny is that the NPCs at Earth Spacedock are now walking around talking to each other about Sulu. They even say where Sulu is. People still ask.

There will always be people who will immediately ask for help and never try to figure anything out on their own. Sad...but society's filled with them.
    edited February 2010
    I agree that there are areas throughout the game where things might need to be clearer. Just as in any writing, something that might seem obvious to the creator isn't always to a new reader.

But...when people first beam to the starbase and can't see the big Admiral's Office sign. Well...let them run around a bit.
    edited February 2010
    Can the map just list all of the characters and their locations? Better yet, how about a search feature in the map that allows searches outside of the current sector block? Heck, even I would like to know the locations of all the bases.
This discussion has been closed.