test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gamespot has started it's STO Review...Check it.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Urko wrote: »
    You said it, but it wont be having the high scores that a game based on Star Trek deserves.

No Star Trek game yet released has reached the high scores the brand deserves.

I agree with you that the review pretty much says it like it is, but in doing so, doesn't really say much at all. Most of the things the reviewer makes note of are either somewhat nitpicky (duh, that's what reviewers do) or the markings of an MMO that has just been launched and needs time to grow. I think the tone of the review sort of implies that too. Even WoW was buggy and shallow when it launched. MMOs need time to really fill out their clothes, as it were.

It's the same that I think a majority of us feel; that STO will be an awesome game in 6-12 months once a few more pieces are in place. Right now, it is simply "good enough."
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Reviews aren't for "us". They are for people who haven't bought the game and who might be interested but want some input to help them decide if its worth the money to them. Better to go to a publication or a web site who exists for that sort of thing rather then coming to a game's forums to find information.

That said, it would be nice if a given publication had a standard set of rules by which all of their Raters operated. That way there would be some sort of uniformity and people could frequent a publication that meets their game / play style.

Exactly the problem with the 1-10 scoring system or even the 5 star scoring systems. Especially for public opinions/comments everyone who hates the game gives it a 1/10 as if it exploded their Computer, while others to cancel it out have to give the game a 10/10 in user reviews. You might as well have a like/dislike rating system and that's it made by the fans. As it stands right now the best way to get a good view of a game is to go to the websites you agree with or pick 3 positive articles and 3 negative articles on metacritic.

The scoring point system wouldn't be an issue however if people actually READ the review articles. Most articles are written in a way to discuss the positves and negatives of a game, if someone reading it finds the positive outwieghs the negative said about the game then it's up to them to buy/pass.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've always found Gamespot actually when reviewing games is reletively dead on to how good the game is or does, with their fair share of misses of course.

This review isn't slamming the game, I do think it's being honest, it tries to find good in it too. Amazing character creation, but seemingly weak combat. The space combat isn't that bad, and they said so, but ground combat is very poor. That describes at least the early stages of the game pretty well I think personally.

Honestly I don't think that STO is going to get many great reviews, probably a lot of decent to so so reviews, mostly because of the criticisms that we've seen a bunch in the forums. It's true the customization is incredible, I absolutely love it. But the mission choices are (and people here have complained about this) of the majority, just flying and shooting. People's primary argument against this complaint is that that combat is all you do in most MMO's. This is true. I don't know if it's the space combat, lack in scenery or what, but it does feel possibly slightly more repetative than the others I've played...but then again I hear it gets better in the higher levels. My opinion might change when I'm experiencing those.

From my experience so far, based on the other few MMO's I've played, I think STO is about that, an ok game. I don't think it's that great, but I don't think it SUCKS either. Some people are slamming it too much, and the only people who praise it too much are the overly defensive ones who get upset when anyone criticizes the game. The good thing about an MMO is that with them being able to patch and improve things, they have the ability to turn a pretty good game into a great game, so I'm pretty hopeful here.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gamespot = epic fail! :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The review is very much a quickie... but the comments are juicy read.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The day I start caring what self-appointed experts at GameSpot, IGN, or any of the other sites like is the day I turn off my computer for good. I prefer to think and judge for myself. The people who do reviews are made of flesh and blood like us and are every bit as biased and spoiled as the rest of the gaming world. Only lemmings or those with an axe to grind put what these people think upon a pedestal.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Heliotrope wrote: »
    The day I start caring what self-appointed experts at GameSpot, IGN, or any of the other sites like is the day I turn off my computer for good. I prefer to think and judge for myself. The people who do reviews are made of flesh and blood like us and are every bit as biased and spoiled as the rest of the gaming world. Only lemmings or those with an axe to grind put what these people think upon a pedestal.

THIS ^^^ * 100000000000000000000
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's not surprising. Tiny publisher with a mixed track record buys well-known IP at firesale. Tiny publisher rushes game to market to faceroll in the cash.

The 45 Day patch has a lot riding on it, but they've already got my money, so no amount of whinging will change anything.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Calling the game a roleplay game is a bit of a strech. You can't chose what you say your pretty much playing the stupidest star fleet captain the world has ever seen. Every single ambush you walk into, every single bad guy you let go if there is any chance to do so and then act surprised when they betray you. Every single possible chance for you to pick the stupid option thats what you will do.

A rolepay game is identified one where you play the role of the character where you make the decisions. This is more like an arcade game, taken even more to the point where when you die its not so much dying though unlike the arcade game where it costs you some change to continue you just have to click respawn. I think the reviewer was very kind to the game though this might be cause of advertisment.

I'd be very surprise if over half the people that are currently playing are still in game after 30 days, we already have admirals and the game has been live a very short amount of time. Patrols become very competative, the load screens become annoying and there is little to create a social element to the game. I hope cryptic can turn it all around but at the moment some major game decisions seem to weigh against them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I really love STO, but I can't really disagree with what Gamespot has written so far. This quote really hits the nail on the head:
    The space combat makes for a good first impression, and large-scale battles, in which you join other players to defeat masses of Klingon Warbirds and other imposing-looking ships, look bright and colorful and feel appropriately explosive, if not quite epic. Why not epic? Because for now, combat is exceptionally easy, so I rarely feel like I am struggling against powerful battleships

Cryptic has just made Lt 1-10 so damn easy that it really isn't fun anymore. The balance was much, much better at the start of Open Beta. Hopefully the Gamespot crew will enjoy things more when they hit Lt Commander and start having more challenging fights.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think it will be interesting indeed to see what they have to say when the review is finished. One thing to keep in mind however, or take with a grain of salt, is the fact that Gamespot is more or less paid (through advertising) to give some games glowing reviews, even if the game its-self is honestly a load of TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Wow. The comments on that page... it's like reading our forums in the mirror universe. People are openly criticizing and praising the game, and nobody is being called a troll or a fanboy!

Something needs to be done ! I'll sign up there ASAP and will correct the problem. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    cromsdevil wrote: »
    This could be the review of any MMO.

They all have the same problems lol

lol no they don't lol

*rolls her eyes*

Seriously.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Guess Cryptic didn't pay enough in advertising Dollars like the Kayne and Lynch folks did. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    JadeEnigma wrote:
    lol no they don't lol

*rolls her eyes*

Seriously.

No not seriously!!

*rolls his eyes* :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I agree most when the Gamespot reviewer calls the game too "easy." An easy game becomes a very boring game very quickly. Add more challenge and more of the unexpected. While I am enjoying the game it IS too easy and predictable atm imo.
This discussion has been closed.