test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Collision detection when warping

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Seriously, it kills me that I can warp out of a system by going through the middle of the nearest planet/moon/spacestation/ship/asteroid and so on.

Can the game engine not be made to detect if there is a collision in a straight line from where you are and either turn the ship to face away or not allow warping until you move the ship manually.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    It makes me laugh....

Ever see Buckaroo Banzai...I keep thinking John Bigbooty will appear on my bridge after I warp into a zone.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The problem is that you are not actually moving anywhere. There is no collision to detect, you havent moved. Prior to detecting that you are colliding, they would actually have to move you or at least plot out your course and see if you intersect any objects.

It is a big hazzle for a little benefit. If it bothers you so much, move your ship into a clear path so it 'looks' like you not on a collision course.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    lemming64 wrote: »
    Seriously, it kills me that I can warp out of a system by going through the middle of the nearest planet/moon/spacestation/ship/asteroid and so on.

Can the game engine not be made to detect if there is a collision in a straight line from where you are and either turn the ship to face away or not allow warping until you move the ship manually.

Consider going several times the speed of light there is no way in hell your going to be able to turn anyway. If you ever saw the show you would have to suspend your view on reality because with the way the Enterprise goes its probably passed through several stars/planets getting to where its going.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just close your eyes, it wont bother you any more.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Paneth wrote:
    Consider going several times the speed of light there is no way in hell your going to be able to turn anyway. If you ever saw the show you would have to suspend your view on reality because with the way the Enterprise goes its probably passed through several stars/planets getting to where its going.

They can and do navigate while in warp, in the ST series.
    Granted, the adjustments are over vast distances, but they do do it.

I'm thinking primarily of Voyager where they plot a route through 'enemy' space, winding all over the place.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    there is plenty of more important things to whine about
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Who knows maybe current Trek warp drives in this setting are more like hyperdrives from Stargate, which allow you to jump through matter and into the hyperspace tunnel.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    LawLessOne wrote: »
    The problem is that you are not actually moving anywhere. There is no collision to detect, you havent moved. Prior to detecting that you are colliding, they would actually have to move you or at least plot out your course and see if you intersect any objects.

It is a big hazzle for a little benefit. If it bothers you so much, move your ship into a clear path so it 'looks' like you not on a collision course.

Actually the planets in the instances are objects that you have to navigate around, and where theres objects, there can be collision detection. Besides, they could place four "exit" points in the instance, one in each corner, or side. When warp is activated, the ship then turns to face the SECOND nearest one (therefore the max turn is 90 degrees) before the ship animation shows it going to warp. So no matter where you are in the instance, you'll always warp away from the main planet.

Logically, it wouldnt take much to implement, like putting yourself on follow on a target really. However, there are more pressing matters to attend to right now.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anyone ever play X-wing or TIE Fighter from the old days? When you would hyperspace out, it would auto pilot your ship to face a certain direction, clear of any obstacles, and then you would zoom off.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    one.klump wrote:
    Anyone ever play X-wing or TIE Fighter from the old days? When you would hyperspace out, it would auto pilot your ship to face a certain direction, clear of any obstacles, and then you would zoom off.

Same thing in EVE - it was even used as a tactic in both PvE and PvP (Warp aligning, I believe it was called).
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What kind of captain tells his crew to warp when facing a planet?
    (aka if it bothers you turn the ship before you warp)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    KB4 wrote:
    Just close your eyes, it wont bother you any more.

best advice EVAR!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The real problem is that if they made it so you had to be facing away from any object in the instance you are in before you could warp people would be submitting trouble tickets about not being able to warp. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I realise your ship doesn't actually move from the pov of the game when you warp, but it wouldn't be hard for it to draw a straight line out of your ship and detect if there would be a collision.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You better go study warp theory my friend.

You do not 'move' per se when you warp. That is why it is called 'warp'. Warping is moving the space around you, not you through space. It is perfectly acceptable to 'move' through objects when warping because they are moving around you.

This was explained by the EvE developers when players in that game had the same concern.

Check out Micheo Kaku (theoretical physicist) for a better explanation.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    l3nko wrote:
    They can and do navigate while in warp, in the ST series.
    Granted, the adjustments are over vast distances, but they do do it.

I'm thinking primarily of Voyager where they plot a route through 'enemy' space, winding all over the place.

Yes and in that particular episode, the delta flyer flies ahead to plot the course, and Voyager drops out of warp to make each course change and then jumps back into warp.

In general a 2o course change while at warp will seem small to you, but traveling at that speed it can take you lightyears in the wrong direction.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    lemming64 wrote: »
    I might be mixing that up but I remember having seen an Enterprise show where they where warping for a few seconds to avoid to crash into a planet... so it is valid that that works ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am upset that collision detection isn't in the game at all, especially space combat. Asteroids act like bumpers.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    biogeek wrote: »
    I am upset that collision detection isn't in the game at all, especially space combat. Asteroids act like bumpers.

I found that lame as well when I mentioned it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    it's a minor issue that can be easily fixed by by moving to a different direction that isn't facing an object before warping out.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    LFFPicard wrote: »
    Yes and in that particular episode, the delta flyer flies ahead to plot the course, and Voyager drops out of warp to make each course change and then jumps back into warp.

In general a 2o course change while at warp will seem small to you, but traveling at that speed it can take you lightyears in the wrong direction.

You're so wrong it isn't funny

in Voyager they were ALWAYS plotting course through enemy space etc to avoid obstacles and planets etc.

The Delta Flyer went ahead once as far as I can recall, and that was to navigate at Transwarp.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It bugs me as well, but that's why I simply point my ship in a direction that has no obstacles. I suggest you do the same.
This discussion has been closed.