test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic!! Please....

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Cryptic thank you for a great patch and keep up the good work but….. This is a MMO and there is no real social aspect of the game… What I mean by this is that there is no real place to hang out and do things other than grind though the next mission. For instance I personally like Risa.

I go there when I need to afk for a bit and sometimes I’ll sit there when I go on the forums. But in all honesty there needs to be more to do there. Shops, Crafting, Let us make our own cloths.. Why do we need to be in a uniform ALL THE TIME? This is the ONLY MMO I have played that I can’t change my cloths at will.

I want to put on shorts and sit on the beach at RISA. Heck I would like to just sit around crafting for a bit too. In short we need more stuff to do OTHER than grind though the game content. This is the immersion that I was talking about and got flamed for in another post…

There now that I have spoke my mind please go ahead and flame =)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    momurda wrote: »
    Cryptic thank you for a great patch and keep up the good work but….. This is a MMO and there is no real social aspect of the game… What I mean by this is that there is no real place to hang out and do things other than grind though the next mission. For instance I personally like Risa.

I go there when I need to afk for a bit and sometimes I’ll sit there when I go on the forums. But in all honesty there needs to be more to do there. Shops, Crafting, Let us make our own cloths.. Why do we need to be in a uniform ALL THE TIME? This is the ONLY MMO I have played that I can’t change my cloths at will.

I want to put on shorts and sit on the beach at RISA. Heck I would like to just sit around crafting for a bit too. In short we need more stuff to do OTHER than grind though the game content. This is the immersion that I was talking about and got flamed for in another post…

There now that I have spoke my mind please go ahead and flame =)

i think you have a great idea. in the shows please talk about taking leave on risa. also getting to a holo deck to chill and let some steam off.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'd enjoy this. I mean, we have replicators, why can't we use them at will? "Computer, civilian clothing - t-shirt, blue jeans, ball cap." 2000 energy credits later, bam. I'm hanging out on Risa and not getting looked at for being an uptight military guy who can't even enjoy the pleasure planet because he insists on staying in uniform.

We're collecting all these resources from anomalies that are supposed to let us upgrade weapons and the like at Memory Alpha, but why can't we throw them in our replicators and design our own things?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would really like a DEV to post about this kind of thing... There are no notes or updates on the website about it and its EXTREAMLY important to a MMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    momurda wrote: »
    I would really like a DEV to post about this kind of thing... There are no notes or updates on the website about it and its EXTREAMLY important to a MMO.

i agree this needs a Dev post. this is a great idea for this mmo for a more social aspect
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I support this idea. Especially the idea of holodecks as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The only social aspect to the game i've experienced so far is Gold spammers and Infractions from Mods lol
    Goooooooo Cryptic :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    definitely have to agree here.

That or a lot of the people in this game are just unsociable creatures...

Or have not noticed the chat box in the lower left:confused:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    CougarUK wrote: »

Or have not noticed the chat box in the lower left:confused:

The chatbox is not the point of this post.. I would like ways to enjoy the game that doesnt involve doing missions.. I dont think this is a unreasonable request in a MMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I definitly agree that there needs to be more to do besides the main game. I know it's a new MMO and they really need to focus on making the core game good, but after they do that it would be wonderful to add in some extras.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Every MMO can use some further develpment at the time the publisher decided that it's time to get the game released.

These types of features can easily be added later(as in they'd be additions, not revamps of core mechancis already in place).

On the same breath, I'd like them to polish the basic game mechanics (combat/exploration/etc), and add/improve PvP content (conflicts, territory control, PvP purpose [why are we fighting again? just..um..gear?], etc), high-rank PvE features (such as "unknown race" uber-invasions, NPC factions taking over sector if undefended, etc)....and, you know, stuff like that.

The game appears to be very modular, which, considering the span of the universe and possibilities for the "stuff to do for the players" is an amazing thing.

Now, let the devs do their thing - the Christmas tree is set up, it's up to them to handle the decor.

A dev post, however open ended (as in no need for definite "Yes" or "No") would be awesome.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There any DEV willing to respond to this? We won't hold you personally to what you say but We would love to get an Idea what something that will be put in...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'd also like to see more focus on the social aspect of the game. I like the OP's ideas of activities within Risa. Maybe something on Bridges as well would help foster a more communal attitude.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yep, there is alot I like about this game but really I agree it feel too much like a single player game with other hanging around.. there needs to be more interaction, more social.. more stuff to do other than grind. or at least try and hide the grind better.. not entirely sure how but I think it's a big deal, the shinny new toy could get rusty too soon if they don't change the way most of the way teh game is played right now..

sounds like a big job, and I think it is.. but somewhat nessesary.. I ran on my new treadmill every day for a month.. a year later I look at it and say I'd rather go to teh gym whith a few buddies instead, at least I can talk to them while I'm there.

Not to say this isn;t a good game at all.. just that it could get boreing fast.. for me at least it feels like it;s missing something..
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well if you want a vague dev post with no dates, that I can provide. ;)

We are definitely not ignoring the social aspects of the game. We made sure there are quite a few places just to visit and hang out for launch (Vulcan, Andoria, Risa, Wolf 359, the bar and lounge in Earth Spacedock etc.)

This is one of the many things we are continuing to developing for the live game as well. We have plans for some more locations and some interesting things to do at these locations as well.

-Continuum
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Now that the core game is out, I'm sure we'll see sandbox elements like what you describe start to show up. And we may have more of a say in what those elements will be, if we all start to be more civil to each other and to Cryptic, and approach the issues constructively. If we do this, we may find Cryptic more willing to consider asking us what we would like to see.

It certainly can't hurt...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Continuum wrote:

We are definitely not ignoring the social aspects of the game. We made sure there are quite a few places just to visit and hang out for launch (Vulcan, Andoria, Risa, Wolf 359, the bar and lounge in Earth Spacedock etc.)

This is one of the many things we are continuing to developing for the live game as well. We have plans for some more locations and some interesting things to do at these locations as well.

-Continuum

You Rock thank you for responding!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I really like this idea... actually this is a NEED for a successful MMO.

I don't expect something right away however I would like to see content building (with player base?) in the social content area. I know these these types of things may stray away from IP, however an MMO business needs to cater to a varied audience.
    Some examples:
    The Holodeck has been mentioned many times in the forums (a lot of great ideas already out there, mini games etc).
    Holiday at Risa - maybe pick a several week period of the year where special content is added to Risa. Beach parties, a jungle hunt, a pub crawl.
    General Holiday content: Start small and easy... Valentines day (a secret admirer sends you a message to meet somewhere - go to location, beam down, you reintegrate as a Ferengi in a cupid suite (for 5 minutes) in the middle of your peers partying with free chocolate treats that make you do random emotes. )

A reward for giving your crew some downtime? After going on leave the crew's combined increased mental agility could provide a temporary buff to your ship.

Ideas abound in these forums...

Edit: Just read the Dev post above! :D Great feedback.... Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Continuum wrote:

-Continuum

The 'things to do' aspect doesn't have to be brilliantly engrossing. In fact, it's probably better if it isn't. A minigame like darts, chess or checkers provides diversion while still allowing people the luxury to kick back and chat. Even better would be canon Trek games like tri-D chess or dabbo.

I enthusiastically endorse having additional 'costume slots' for civilian clothing, leisure uniforms (like Kirk's wraparound tunic) and full-dress uniforms.

A Trek trivia game in the bars might be fun as well as provoking some discussion. In context, I suppose it'd be a history quiz :)

Eventually, of course, we'll need the ability to build our own social spaces, in the form of space stations or colonies. But I expect that'll take a couple weeks :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yukonsam wrote: »
    The 'things to do' aspect doesn't have to be brilliantly engrossing. In fact, it's probably better if it isn't. A minigame like darts, chess or checkers provides diversion while still allowing people the luxury to kick back and chat. Even better would be canon Trek games like tri-D chess or dabbo.

I enthusiastically endorse having additional 'costume slots' for civilian clothing, leisure uniforms (like Kirk's wraparound tunic) and full-dress uniforms.

A Trek trivia game in the bars might be fun as well as provoking some discussion. In context, I suppose it'd be a history quiz :)

Eventually, of course, we'll need the ability to build our own social spaces, in the form of space stations or colonies. But I expect that'll take a couple weeks :D

these are some of the things they were always doing in star trek.. Even games by themselves on long rides..Great ideas all of them =)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    All for this. More variety and things to do besides leveling are always good.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I agree, don't get me wrond, I love the game...but it feels to much like a consol game for now, not a MMORP. Second, what is up with the 2 min. afk time out. I sometimes like to sit in Deep Space, have a smoak and a cup of coffee, maybe go to the bathroom from time to time.....if I am not careful, I will come back loged out.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yukonsam wrote: »

That's what the captains' ready room, "Ten-forward," and captain's quarters are for. :D Seriously though, ship internals would definitely help the immersion and social factors. Heck, leave your ship behind and help others with ship operations.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That's what the captains' ready room, "Ten-forward," and captain's quarters are for. :D Seriously though, ship internals would definitely help the immersion and social factors. Heck, leave your ship behind and help others with ship operations.

I completely agree Internal ship components would be the biggest and best add to this game.. A place to call our own where we can relax... Even play some of those mini games that other dude was talking about.. we could earn rewards for battles that we could decorate our ready rooms with.. There is just so much you could do that would add a TON to this game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Continuum wrote:

-Continuum

I will do anything for you guys to add Tellar Prime and my Tellarites in the game. ANYTHING please!! *begs*
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If any dev types are still looking at this thread, one thing to consider. The Observation Lounge in Spacedock would be 100% better and used if it was it's own instance. The massive scrolling that takes place from the bazzillion instances of Spacedock gets distracting.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Continuum wrote:

-Continuum

Are there any plans to make areas such as Vulcan and Risa quest hubs? A pre-release review of the game mentioned finding missions of a planet, something which isn't part of the current game. It might encourage people to actually go to the areas you mentioned.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I agree, don't get me wrond, I love the game...but it feels to much like a consol game for now, not a MMORP. Second, what is up with the 2 min. afk time out. I sometimes like to sit in Deep Space, have a smoak and a cup of coffee, maybe go to the bathroom from time to time.....if I am not careful, I will come back loged out.

AFK timeout is 15 minutes. not 2 minutes.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Agree with the OP and hope a Dev comes across this thread.

Just wondering out loud here, but do Devs troll all the threads? Or just ones with certain titles?
This discussion has been closed.