test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Okay, how do you avoid ship explosions?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
It's the one thing I haven't figured out yet. A ship gets close to me, I torpedo it to kill it, and it blows up on me, giving me massive damage. I even died once because a Negh'var Battleship blew up right next to me. There isn't enough time to speed up and get away from it, and going into reverse doesn't move fast enough. So are we just supposed to eat these explosions? I can't figure out any method to avoiding them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    dont get 2 close?

evasive man?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah as you've started to do massive damage to the ship start moving away, yeah you'll likely end up without the broadside, but as you'll have likely take the shields to pretty much zilch all you need to do is use your rear facing beams to stop the shilds from regenerating and then when you're 1-2km away you slow rotate and hammer away
    Done
    :cool:
    :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's the one thing I haven't figured out yet. A ship gets close to me, I torpedo it to kill it, and it blows up on me, giving me massive damage. I even died once because a Negh'var Battleship blew up right next to me. There isn't enough time to speed up and get away from it, and going into reverse doesn't move fast enough. So are we just supposed to eat these explosions? I can't figure out any method to avoiding them.

This is all about positioing and having the right weapons, which is of course tricky with the starting ship.

I have two ways

1) Get those enemy shields down, hull to low figures, fly past the ship at top speed and let rip with a rear mounted weapon. Of course you should do all round damage, not much point firing a torpedo at a full rear shield. For safety, just before the ship blows and you are flying away, boost all power to rear shields.
    2) Evasive maneuvers gives you a quick speed boost that can carry you away, but it is vital you are not stationary.

Also, dont reverse, fly straight past it, you should ideally never be stationary during a battle, it slows your turn speed to virtually nothing. The key to escape is constant monentum.

At the end of the day its all about preparation, and careful monitoring of the battle, you should be planning how to get out of range before the final blow is struck, and not escaping once its too late. I have only been caught in one explosion since the pre-start went live, and that is when I switched to new Mk2 weapons that blew the TRIBBLE out of a ship faster than expected.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

That killed Ships will explode, giving some AOE Damage to the surrounding area is not uncomon, as one can learn from the movies. So its your task to find a way to avoid that special damage if u dont want to suffer from it.

There are some tactical possibilities to acomplish that task. First rule is to never get closed to dying ships. You can acomplish that by stoping before you shoot the last killing salve beeing outside of the estimated explosions AOE. Or doing it the other way round, increasing speed to maximum and shooting on the last second before getting out of weapons arc and then passing she enemy ship top bottom or on the side. Normaly iam out of the AOE range by doing so.

Finaly there is another point to calculate with. Shields take much less damage from those explosions then the Hull, so it would be wise to face the exploding vessel with your fullest shield.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Planning and positioning, of course. If the fights is close range, think about saving the "Evasive Maneuvers" ability for a quick escape (a skill you unlock at an early level). Aside from that, you could use tractor beams / repulsors. My personal preference is not to kill the engines entirely. It's always tempting to max out weapons and shields and what have you, but I like to save a bit of energy for my engines so that I'm not dead in the water, limping from one battle to the next.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ugarte wrote: »
    Planning and positioning, of course. If the fights is close range, think about saving the "Evasive Maneuvers" ability for a quick escape (a skill you unlock at an early level). Aside from that, you could use tractor beams / repulsors. My personal preference is not to kill the engines entirely. It's always tempting to max out weapons and shields and what have you, but I like to save a bit of energy for my engines so that I'm not dead in the water, limping from one battle to the next.

In that case, what setting do you use? I have to have shields and auxiliary at 50 minimum for defense and turn rate (I run a cruiser). I usually run 75/50/25/50 at this point, but is 50 all around better?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In that case, what setting do you use? I have to have shields and auxiliary at 50 minimum for defense and turn rate (I run a cruiser). I usually run 75/50/25/50 at this point, but is 50 all around better?

Personally I use 60/60/30/50 for my cruiser settings.

And I find EM and crank away generally resolves the explosion issue pretty easily. If you have "Emergency Power to Engines" you can usually punch that and floor it in desperate times (I generally use this as the "OH TRIBBLE" button when I'm getting my butt kicked, too. EM + EPtE means ~20k in 4 seconds).
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Keep and use an engine battery, it'll increase your speed. That + evasive maneuvers. Try also pitching up or down as you move away, anything to increase your total distance from the soon-to-be 'sploded ship.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Persoanlly I use 70/70/30/30 on my cruisers, with a combat impulse engine equipped for better handling at low power. As others have said before you should use evasive maneuvers to get away as long as you aren't stuck on the other ship. When all else fails, use brace for impact, which you will get soon after Lt Cmdr 3. This will help you weather the explosion much better. Also, I'm curious as to your auxiliary setting being that high, do you use the Aux. to (x) abilities on your BO's?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Persoanlly I use 70/70/30/30 on my cruisers, with a combat impulse engine equipped for better handling at low power. As others have said before you should use evasive maneuvers to get away as long as you aren't stuck on the other ship. When all else fails, use brace for impact, which you will get soon after Lt Cmdr 3. This will help you weather the explosion much better. Also, I'm curious as to your auxiliary setting being that high, do you use the Aux. to (x) abilities on your BO's?

No, my bridge officers have High Yield I, Emergency Power to Shields, and Jam Sensors I.

I set my auxiliary so high because without it I can never turn fast enough to face the ship to fire my torpedoes because the other ships move too fast out of my range.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Unless you're primarily grouping with people that can absorb the abuse, I might suggest you replace Jam Sensors with Polarize Hull for the resistance buff it gives.

(Edit: Sorry, I meant Polarize Hull, and therefore corrected it)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    way for me i stay 3-4km away while fighting them so i can avoid the ships explosions ^_^
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I try to hit evasive maneuvers. Its easier when you unlock brace for impact. You still get hit by the kinetic damage. Just not as nasty. Also try to adjust your shields in the direction of the explosion.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Are you actually serious.

It's called evasive maneuvers combined with Brace for impact.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Star Trek First Contact

And see federation starships blown by the explosion of the borg cube.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Trick is, when you're ready to fire that killshot, or you notice they're down to single digit % hull, fire a salvo AS you're turning away. Remember torpedos can fire in a 90 degree arc, so you can fire them right as you start turning, so by the time they go to 0 hull, you'll already be flying away. Even if you're really close, you can survive a warp core breach just by getting enough distance. The damage is based off the ship's size and your distance from it when it explodes, so even a few tens of meters will spell the difference between death and just shield damage.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, uh, just make sure you aren't too close, maintain your distance (the evasive maneuvers button is there for a reason, use it if necessary) and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I set my auxiliary so high because without it I can never turn fast enough to face the ship to fire my torpedoes because the other ships move too fast out of my range.

Put the torp in the rear slot, not the front one. It is much easier to turn away from something than it is to turn toward them. This will let you put more power into attack, letting you kill things faster as well.

This should also solve your explosion problem, as most of the time, the reason you get hit by ship explosions is due to having your nose pointed at the enemy, leading to you being too close when it goes boom.

Anyway, I rarely get hit by explosions because I'm a broadside cruiser. I don't typically get close enough to get caught in one and, if the risk exists, I'm in a better position to open up distance. If I can't, I'll pop Brace for Impact or just soak it.