test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rename to Star Trek Offline

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2010 in The Academy
Sign, if you think there's so too many server crashes and, thus, Star Trek Offline name would be more appropriate than Star Trek Online at this kind of server quality.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Interesting......... I will pass tho^^
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I personally think all the whiners should just go back to WoW and leave the people who really want this game here without all the complaints. Nobody is forcing you to play the game or pay for it if you are unhappy with the service.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If we could play it offline, this suggestion might have some merit.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wonder if /jranger is something the mods frown upon here. Though, I do agree with Pyrion.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mega_Buu wrote:
    I personally think all the whiners should just go back to WoW and leave the people who really want this game here without all the complaints. Nobody is forcing you to play the game or pay for it if you are unhappy with the service.

Clearly you've never participated in an MMO launch before. They've all gone 100% without a hitch, what's happening with STO is unacceptable and I couldn't possibly fathom why they're having all of these problems.

/Heavy Sarcasm btw ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I can be unhappy reasonably, if the server is down during an unscheduled downtime. So you'd better stop whining about people complaining because something is not right. It at least lets Cryptic know they should put more effort into keeping servers up. Considering they've already have 2 MMOs so far...I
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wish it was Star Trek Offline, then at least I wouldn't have to worry about a server needing to be up to be able to play.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jeeez,Get a life...Saddo
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hehehe :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The_Rabbit wrote:
    I wish it was Star Trek Offline, then at least I wouldn't have to worry about a server needing to be up to be able to play.

Good point...:)...but I love the game, just those crashes are a bit a pain in the neck.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I vote yes in this thread, for the proposition at hand and for the quality of win applicable here....
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Acrusius wrote:
    I can be unhappy reasonably, if the server is down during an unscheduled downtime. So you'd better stop whining about people complaining because something is not right. It at least lets Cryptic know they should put more effort into keeping servers up. Considering they've already have 2 MMOs so far...I

Really, have you never seen a launch before? Do you even understand how computers work or what stress a server cluster undergoes during the opening days of a launch? No one likes it, but whining about it doesn't do anything. The reality is that so far the head start hasn't been all that bad. When WoW started out, it was down far more often than it was up. As I recall, it crashed within a couple of hours of starting up and then went down several more times those first few days. Blizzard had to issue free time left and right because the game was never up. So far Cryptic has done a pretty decent job. If you don't want to deal with the shake out cruise, don't join the fun until a month or two has past. The lessons learned from Cryptics previous games are evident in how well this one is going so far.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Natsuki wrote:
    I wonder if /jranger is something the mods frown upon here. Though, I do agree with Pyrion.

Only if we can have DOOOM™ as well.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The game doesn't launch until Feb 2nd. 30-day included subscription time, paid subscription time; ANY subscription time doesn't start until the 2nd (or later if you enter your retail code a few days later). Pre-launch time is THEIR time, not yours, and not mine; time spent to do EXACTLY what's being done (find problems, stress the resources, discover the surprises that can't be found without thousands of people banging on the pipes.) Before Feb 2nd, complaining like this is more telling about the complainer, and less about the product at hand.

And guess what, more **** is gonna happen after Feb 2nd, too, cause this isn't an FPS, this isn't an RTS; this is an MMO, and comparisons to any games in other genre launches are foolish at best, and downright stupid at their worst. MMOs by necessity of their nature come into this world in struggle and a little bit of chaos, because the only way you can test what happens when thousands of people run amok in the new microverse you've created is to let thousands of people into it, and just like Alpha stresses are outmatched by Beta stresses, Live stresses will likely exceed those of Beta, causing a whole new slew of issues.

This is what launching an MMO with an existing and popular IP is. To expect anything else is again, either naive at best, or just silly and stupid at worst.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Really, have you never seen a launch before? Do you even understand how computers work or what stress a server cluster undergoes during the opening days of a launch? No one likes it, but whining about it doesn't do anything. The reality is that so far the head start hasn't been all that bad. When WoW started out, it was down far more often than it was up. As I recall, it crashed within a couple of hours of starting up and then went down several more times those first few days. Blizzard had to issue free time left and right because the game was never up. So far Cryptic has done a pretty decent job. If you don't want to deal with the shake out cruise, don't join the fun until a month or two has past. The lessons learned from Cryptics previous games are evident in how well this one is going so far.

You're right, MMO"s do have problems at the beginning. But I would think Cryptic has more experience if they already have made few MMOs before. I'm sure there are ways to help reduce server crashing....

I am just expressing my opinion about the downtime. I just hope SULU can log in...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Acrusius wrote:
    Sign, if you think there's so too many server crashes and, thus, Star Trek Offline name would be more appropriate than Star Trek Online at this kind of server quality.

how original ....
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Acrusius wrote:

Firstly, unless you're working there, you have no idea how much effort any of their staff are putting in to keeping the servers up. They could well be putting in their absolute best efforts - you don't know one way or another. I think it's prudent to err on the side of caution and give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm probably nowhere near the cynic you are.

Secondly, do you really think Cryptic staff aren't aware that there's an issue? I mean, do you picture them sitting around, doing nothing going "what? server's having problems? had no idea, thank god someone posted about it on the forums, otherwise we would never have known!" - if you honestly think that's even close to the realistic scenario, you're not only dead wrong, but imbecilic to boot.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I remember the first week of WoW's launch myself. Not the headstart, the ACTUAL launch week. I got to level 10 or 15, I forget exactly how far I pushed during the first two days or so. After that, we couldn't level. Literally, the lag was so bad that combat was impossible so.. we fished. Yes, that's right, the first week of WoW was spent with my friends fishing because it was the only activity we could do together that didn't lag out completely.

So, I have to agree with the sentiments here. Yah, the headstart is a bit rough so far with the servers dropping out completely, but when they are up I don't have problems with lag or the inability to complete missions or quests. Heck, even when my cable internet was down for unrelated issues, and I had to use mobile broadband I could still combat klingon bird of preys effectively that I didn't worry about dying. Now that my cable internet is back up, it's just even easier to devastate a single shield side.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    signed. Star Trek Offline, at least then we could play!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    illurim wrote: »
    Firstly, unless you're working there, you have no idea how much effort any of their staff are putting in to keeping the servers up. They could well be putting in their absolute best efforts - you don't know one way or another. I think it's prudent to err on the side of caution and give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm probably nowhere near the cynic you are.

Secondly, do you really think Cryptic staff aren't aware that there's an issue? I mean, do you picture them sitting around, doing nothing going "what? server's having problems? had no idea, thank god someone posted about it on the forums, otherwise we would never have known!" - if you honestly think that's even close to the realistic scenario, you're not only dead wrong, but imbecilic to boot.

True. I understand that, am just expressing disconcern...so that they know there's one more person that wants to log in and look for Sulu.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Milieta wrote:
    Only if we can have DOOOM™ as well.

ROFL, +10

Been a while since I've heard that one...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Acrusius wrote:
    You're right, MMO"s do have problems at the beginning. But I would think Cryptic has more experience if they already have made few MMOs before. I'm sure there are ways to help reduce server crashing...

All the experience in the world can't tell you what thousands and thousands of people will do to your brand new code in your brand new game on your brand new hardware until you open the doors and let the chaos happen. People forget that the most popular and successful MMO of all time could barely be logged into the first two weeks it ran, because you just can't simulate or predict accurately or completely the actions of tens or thousands of people, no matter how much time or experience you have.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i've been playing alot of MMO's and trust me, this aint the worste open beta, that would be SWG, and even at SWG live, it had crashes, the expansion from SWG to Jump to lightspeed took 3-4 days where all servers where down at live.. trust me.. this is nothing compared.. STO team does a good job, and they work fast to reboot server
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    All the experience in the world can't tell you what thousands and thousands of people will do to your brand new code in your brand new game on your brand new hardware until you open the doors and let the chaos happen. People forget that the most popular and successful MMO of all time could barely be logged into the first two weeks it ran, because you just can't simulate or predict accurately or completely the actions of tens or thousands of people, no matter how much time or experience you have.

While I agree with your statement, remember that its built on the Champions online engine so its not all brand new code...
  • Options
    edited January 2010

True, you're right. The Beta should have taken longer so that they can fix most of the things...but maybe they were also pressed by funding and needed to release or sth. Anyway, STO looks to be a great game. Knowing that, I can still be discomforted by downtimes...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    While the plague of issues at launch for MMO's is indeed the norm, It doesn't make it acceptable.
    Just extend beta and never give a clear date for launch until the devs are certain they can go live without massive issues.
    The gamers would have more respect for the organization and the game in general. ;)

I love Star Trek and have every intention to support the developers in making STO the best it can be.
    Unfortunately negative comments will be a part of feedback at some point as they are required to voice opinions effectively.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Faetyl wrote: »
    While the plague of issues at launch for MMO's is indeed the norm, It doesn't make it acceptable.
    Just extend beta and never give a clear date for launch until the devs are certain they can go live without massive issues.
    The gamers would have more respect for the organization and the game in general. ;)

I love Star Trek and have every intention to support the developers in making STO the best it can be.
    Unfortunately negative comments will be a part of feedback at some point as they are required to voice opinions effectively.

The problem comes down not to the Developers, but the Producers. The difference is, the Developers make the game, and the Producers want their money they invested back. They're the ones that decide when a game is to be released, ready or not.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    As much as some of us can understand that new MMOs always seem to have their initial teething troubles, it still makes it frustrating for the server to suddenly crash especially if you're in the middle of a massed brawl with the Klingons.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    illurim wrote: »
    Firstly, unless you're working there, you have no idea how much effort any of their staff are putting in to keeping the servers up.

This is completely inaccurate.

I don't work for Cryptic.

I also have a very good idea that they are not putting *enough* effort in to make sure the product I paid for is available when I want it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The rage never ends.
This discussion has been closed.