Install Arc
Options

Lifetime Subscriptions...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Of course, if we're both still playing two years form now, I'll be pointing at you and laughing as I pocket $15/month.

I don't care about the playable Borg. I bought my lifetime sub to save money, and I fully expect to. This is a major game with a large fanbase, and Cryptic has a great history of constantly updating, improving, and issuing tons of free new content for their games. If I play for more than 18 months, and I'm pretty sure I will, I'll be saving money. So the "you paid $240 for a playable Borg" attitude is provably wrong.

It's a little bit of a gamble. But so is investing your money anywhere else. Every month the amount of the gamble gets smaller and the likelihood of making money gets bigger. If I only play for a year and a half, I'll have broken even and the subscription will have paid for itself. If I play for three years, I'll have saved $270. If I ended up playing for five years (which many people have with games like WoW etc), I'll have saved $630. Sounds like a good deal to me. The only way I lose is if I don't play for 1.5 years (since the odds of the game shutting down before then are nil).

Honestly, how many games have you played for 2 years or more? In my case it's only been a couple and in neither case could I have known that I would play for that long a period before the game released.

Cryptic is honestly not a top bar developer. They also have plans for microtransactions which we know nothing about. Go read the DDO forums about what people think of paying for a subscription when there are microtransactions, most are stopping (because they can, they didn't have an option to purchase a lifetime sub).

I agree with you that the game has a big IP, but that doesn't really mean a lot. SWG is BARELY surviving, AoC is BARELY surviving and yet both have similar sized IPs. Matrix online never was successful, again a large IP.

I won't go so far as to say your stupid as the OP does, but IMHO you have a mail order bride coming that you've only seen blurry head shots of and yet you've committed to spending your life with her (of course it's not the same level of importance, but you get my point)

At the end of the day it's only 240 bucks so it's not like it's a major life decision.
  • Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Honestly, how many games have you played for 2 years or more? In my case it's only been a couple and in neither case could I have known that I would play for that long a period before the game released.

I played City of Heroes for a number of years, which is why I didn't have a problem giving Cryptic my money.
This discussion has been closed.