test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why did they kill B-4?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Is it me or is brain washing B-4 to be Data morally wrong? We have a federation which says they respect the individual but instead of letting him gain his own personality they glue Data's on top of his.

Just something I was thinking of while waiting for the server.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Wasn't he basically TRIBBLE or something?

Forgive me - I'm not being mean. I just really don't remember Nemesis.

Although, where did they get a 'back-up' of Data's memory from?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    data gave him his memories to try and help him develope, so its more that b-4 deveploed personality that matched data's rather then b-4 being brainwashe into being data
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PhiloPhi wrote:
    Wasn't he basically TRIBBLE or something?

Forgive me - I'm not being mean. I just really don't remember Nemesis.

Although, where did they get a 'back-up' of Data's memory from?

Data and Geordi determined that B-4's programming was extremely incomplete, although his positronic brain was theoretically capable of achieving sentience.

In short, B-4 was woefully in need of an operating system upgrade, which Data provided in the form of his own 'memory engrams'. But alas, it didn't really seem to work... until the very end when B-4 began whistling (something Data had never been able to do) the song Data had sung at Riker & Troi's wedding, thereby proving Data was in there somewhere...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kinda like the Coma-guy waking up at the end of X-3 after Professor X died? One of those "who's place is it to decide" things?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kalten76 wrote: »
    Is it me or is brain washing B-4 to be Data morally wrong? We have a federation which says they respect the individual but instead of letting him gain his own personality they glue Data's on top of his.

Just something I was thinking of while waiting for the server.

If you listen to the whole thing, data is just augmenting b4 with all his memories and experience, not overwriting. The words he uses are downloaing his memory into b4, and how his memoires will integrate..

I just think it was a datadump, which is quite a gift really, as it happens we see that b4 just accesses these memories whilst still being himself.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Everyone I'm sure remembers Noonian's lab where they found the Lore and the parts right?

Well.. it semms those parts were of B4.
    They were not complete and not ready for assembly yet.

Anything that Data did to occupy B4 was all well and good. That was an incomplete android after all.

Besides... how else was Data ever going to be caption of the Enterprise :)

It seemed obvious to me from the moment they introduced B4, that something was going to happen to Data and that B4 would be used as 'backup'.

Geesy sub plots are obvious after all :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    They didn't need a child-like android so they resuscitated Data.
    Only room for one Soong Android
    I meet with Captain Data in the ready room of the starship Enterprise. He’s gone through a lot to get where he is. There have been concerns within Starfleet about his ability to do his job, after the destruction of his original body. However, the work done by Geordi La Forge and the Soong Foundation to resuscitate the “Data matrix” lodged within B-4 appears to have been a complete success. Certainly, the last four years during which he has been Captain of the Enterprise would indicate that.

I apologize, Mr. Sisko, that I was unable to meet you at the transporter room. The Enterprise is undergoing maintenance at present and I fear my schedule is rather full. Please, think nothing of it.

Very well. [Clearly, he really will think nothing of it. It’s refreshing to speak with someone who will take me at my word.] How may I be of assistance?

Your recent report to Starfleet indicated that Species 8472 has found their way to Federation space. Could you elaborate on that?

You are suffering under something of a misapprehension. My report indicated there was sufficient evidence to cause concern that Species 8472 may have crossed over from their home dimension to Federation space. However, there is no conclusive evidence. Due to the properties of the protostellar nebula, our instruments were unable to take completely accurate readings.

What do you think the odds are that they have crossed over from Fluidic Space?

I have insufficient information to make such a prediction.

Starfleet is taking your report pretty seriously.

It is their responsibility to protect the Federation.

Well, they didn’t seem to take Annika Hansen’s warnings about the Borg quite so seriously.

I cannot explain the priorities of Starfleet, as I am not privy to all of the information with which they make their decisions.

Do you believe Starfleet was right to ignore her warnings of a future Borg attack?

As I said, I am not privy to the information they used to make that decision. However, I can say that the Borg are indeed persistent. There is a 99% likelihood they will attempt to attack the Federation again, should they be in a position to do so. The likelihood of that being within your lifetime is significantly smaller.

What would you guess?

If I must hazard a guess, I would say the likelihood of a Borg attack in the next 30 years would be 64.58%.That is assuming that they suffered moderate damage at the hands of Admiral Janeway during Voyager’s return.

And Species 8472?

As I said earlier in our conversation, I have insufficient evidence from which to draw a conclusion, I fear.

Well, what evidence do you have that you’d be willing to share?

In addition to our recent findings, we have only the evidence of Voyager’s records. Admiral Janeway was able to negotiate with several representatives of Species 8472 and come to a peaceful agreement. However, it is clear from her records that it was not a comprehensive agreement, and applied only to that small segment of the population. We cannot know how the species at large regards the Federation.

Surely you must have a guess. Or a hunch. Do you really think the quantum singularities you found in the McAllister C-5 Nebula were from Species 8472?

I wish I could give you a more accurate answer. I will say that it is a serious concern.

If it was them, do you think this is sign of an attack coming?

I do not know. It is possible.

[I’ve been holding back and trying not to ask this question throughout the entire interview. I finally blurt it out.] Captain Data, could you tell me what happened to you? And B-4? How was the Soong Foundation able to recover you?

[He gives me a slight smile.] I’m afraid I am not at liberty to say at this time.

I apologize for asking so personal a question.

Please do not concern yourself. It is, after all, a natural question to ask.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Except Data was really in there, hence the "Data Matrix" that Geordi found in B-4, that once activated overwrote B-4's programming. For all intents and purposes, think about it like this. You have a clone that is kept "inactive" while you live your life. You have an accident and your body is crippled beyond belief. They take your brain out and put into your clone and you have a new lease on life. That is essentially what happened, just with a program(s) instead of an actual brain.

Is it ethical? Probably not, but after what happened to Data at the end of Nemesis I'm willing to forgive it :p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Except Data was really in there, hence the "Data Matrix" that Geordi found in B-4, that once activated overwrote B-4's programming. For all intents and purposes, think about it like this. You have a clone that is kept "inactive" while you live your life. You have an accident and your body is crippled beyond belief. They take your brain out and put into your clone and you have a new lease on life. That is essentially what happened, just with a program(s) instead of an actual brain.

Is it ethical? Probably not, but after what happened to Data at the end of Nemesis I'm willing to forgive it :p

Except that I don't think they erased B-4's previous memory. So he is both B-4 and Data... and I guess something new too. It is hard for us to imagine because our bodies don't work that way, but I would argue it is more like a Trill joining than a personality transplant.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Data did to B-4 what Spock did to McCoy in ST2. So basically I'm waiting for ST: The search for Data.
This discussion has been closed.