test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

my open beta review (plus 45 day patch sugestions)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hi all of you now closed beta is over I like to write a little review about my experience. We have all been in OB so ill save you the descriptions. I’ll just be sharing some of what I did and how I felt about things. Ending with a couple of suggestions for the first big patch. written in blue.

Let’s start right there after first playing it I noticed I wanted to come back and do more. Not to level up but just because I was having fun. To me that’s a good thing so I did buy a lifetime sub it the best deal in the long run…. For me I. think Cryptic would be better off whit a WoW style subscription plan since I tend to see life time subs as a stopgap measure. They can try all they want I ain’t going to do a single MT but that does seem to be what they are hoping for. If that excludes me from too much content ill drop STO almost completely to play SW:TOR, I am a star wars fan anyway. I am going to play that game anyway whether I keep coming back to STO is determined by how cryptic will be handling additional content for STO. Yet I like trek and I want to come back so I am hoping Cryptic does things right.

The first day I spent almost entirely on playing whit the character creator. I got kicked out a lot due to server issues which was annoying as hell but it a beta so (dikke care; Dutch roughly meaning not that important/don’t care/big deal). They could sent that thing to Maxis/EA as a tip of how they should handle character creations for their next Sims game cause STO’s is better than the one in the Sims 3. Especially fun was the option to increase breast size for the female officers this is the first game that allows me to do that. Normally you get Lara Croft or you are just unlucky I have never seen an option to change this. Me being a guy I thought it would be fun to have bridge full of bimbo’s (it got wiped anyway so big deal but, thank you Cryptic for allowing me to do this for once). If you wonder how that would work out just watch this video:

beam me up hottie

I eventually got though the tutorial where a Sylar hologram thought me stuff. I got my ship and customized it. There weren’t many options per part I had hoped for at least 5. I enjoyed the space content and as I learned more about the ground content as I went along it grew on me. I must say I enjoy both equally especially the variation it gave me while playing was what kept me enjoying STO. I tied a configuration whit 2 disruptors 1 phaser and a tacion beam. I must say my opponents were hardly able to have any shields but I missed a fried who went overboard on torpedo’s to finish them off. Eventually I got my science captain to lieutenant commander and I got my new ship. I looked like a mini voyager, getting the real think would take a higher rank. Anyway it looked so nice. I mounted a forward facing torpedo and disruptor and aft disruptor and phaser. And trained my BO to do a repulsor beam. I noticed that it cleaned up mine fields whit great ease. Plus I was able to finish my enemies on my own and still drop their shield incredibly fast.

Grouping was another matter though it brought memories of the average dungeon party in WoW no communication and little coordination. The solution is simple play whit your friends. But I have to say at least this: make a in game voice communication blizz figured out it was necessary. Even thought friends/guilds have better options (team speak/vent/Skype if it’s just 2) but those don’t work when grouping up whit people you don’t know. You don’t exchange this kind of info and STO need this more than WoW because you can grouped up at any moment you don’t usually create on intentionally.

Anyway I want to thank cryptic studios for allowing me to play STO a little early I enjoyed every minute of it.

Let go over some of the suggestions for the first patch.

I think the Skill cap is a good thing you will now have to make choices that will define you as a captain. Whit respecs on the way this may not be all that bad. However if we are going to heve to choose I prefer more meaning full skills that will alter how weapons or systems work not just a statistical bonus (example: harmonic torpedo’s – all torpedo’s will partially damage thru shields or temporal weapons - will allow the captain to use temporal weapons on his/her ship).
Also if we re going to be capped les some space skills determined by captains career

At top level have one BO slot (giving the tier 2 skill) determined by you captains career. This will make the choice for career matter more. Also a science captain flying a star cruiser will now have an un expected trick up his/her sleeve. However all the device slots will remain the same so you will still have excessive engineering devices making your science related powers less effective than on a science vessel. This will make sure that you are still at a slight disadvantage as a science captain wile flying other vessels than science vessels but not disabled from using the top tier BO powers of a role that would define you as a science captain.

Give us a auto fire option for energy weapons. It’s not like well decide to play nice to the orions half way through the fight and stop firing fasers. It’s rather mindless to simulate this but button bashing the space bar especially for a skill based game this is not the way to go. You want to concentrate at using the right skill at the right time, positioning , firing those torpedo’s at exactly the right time hot spamming spacebar for a baseline DPS.

More micromanagement
Examples: - fully Custom power settings. Defaulf all power in auxiliary (200%) and any increase to weapons, shields or engines will take away from auxiliary. So technically you can have all power in auxiliary to fire of killer defector abilities but to do so you are whiteout weapons or shield and unable to move (a sitting duck). These kind of options are not visible when playing the game normally you need to look for them and prepare them before battle save them and key bind them so you can quickly switch to them in battle.
Creating spate tabs for engineering, armory, sick bay and astromatics. In these tabs you will place devices for the respective types. Also you can assign crew to these sections. For engineering this will slightly improve flight speed and power distribution, the armory will decrees cooldown of weapons and astromatics will do the same for deflector powers. Crew assigned to sick bay will decrees casualties and speeds up the recovery of crewmembers.

Creating some sub tabs for the exchange. Ship weapons can for example easily be broken down into phasers, torpedos, disruptors etc.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    [reserved...]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You understand 'Whit' is not actually a word right? I believe you are looking for 'with', spelled w-i-t-h
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Munku wrote: »
    You understand 'Whit' is not actually a word right? I believe you are looking for 'with', spelled w-i-t-h

don't you think I write long post like these in word? so it passed right true the spelling corrector there..... (so it probably really is a word though not the one I was looking for)
    given English is not my native language and I suffer from dislek... dislex... dislec.... I cant spell! could you please comment on anything other than spelling. I don't go though the trouble of wring this to get lousy comment on my spelling while there is enough content to comment on.....
This discussion has been closed.