test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Public Accounts

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
This is the first game I've every played that makes your account name public for everyone to see, and I've been playing online games since Asheron's Call. Why is it that Cryptic decided to make our account names public, not only in game when we chat but also here on the forums. Hackers now have half of what they need to steal an account without even having to work for it.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Shiatan78 wrote: »
    This is the first game I've every played that makes your account name public for everyone to see, and I've been playing online games since Asheron's Call. Why is it that Cryptic decided to make our account names public, not only in game when we chat but also here on the forums. Hackers now have half of what they need to steal an account without even having to work for it.

The login account name is not public.. What everyone can see is the handle you were asked to create when you first opened the account..

But if you had your handle be close to your account name then i'd contact cryptic to see if they will change it.

One reason they did this is so people wouldn't have to fight over common names.. It first happened with CO.. I like it, and it lets you ignore someone's whole account.. That way they can't hide on alts.. :D
    edited January 2010
    Shiatan78 wrote: »

Its showing your forum name not your aco**** name, now if you chose to put your account name as the same as your forum name then thats your bad.
    edited January 2010
    I really don't like people seeing my display name anyway. If you **** somebody off, they can easily spread their hate to your other characters, too. There's no way to hide from anything. Even if you did something in Champions Online, the drama could easily follow you to STO. It's a privacy issue, IMO. Sometimes, I just want to escape to a secondary character and get away from people. Now I can't.
    edited January 2010
    I don't remember ever being asked for a handle name, just the account name, being as i registered for the forms oh, what a year ago, who knows. there should be a place to change your handle name then though.
    edited January 2010
    So, basically, you've successfully drawn attention to the fact that that is your account name...

Where is that delete button?

Actually, this used to come up in CO and I think they can fix it for you(and remove this thread).
    edited January 2010
    just found another topic where someone did the same thing lol, and how to get it fixed. my bad for being a tard...
This discussion has been closed.