test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

People seem to forget

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
People seem to forget that WoW's launch was slow, laggy, and mostly disconnecting and look at it now. So far, when the server is up, STO has been lag free(Unless your steam), and not slow at all. And its only been down once.
dont judge STO's launch just yet. its only been 26 hours into head start, with 3 more days remaining
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    WoW's launch was also over 5 years ago
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wish I could remember what I was going to reply here. I started thinking of bacon and donuts...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dosent matter when it was.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Qoojo wrote:
    I wish I could remember what I was going to reply here. I started thinking of bacon and donuts...

Bacon wrapped donuts? I think you might be onto a huge idea here.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nexodusrex wrote: »

True....technology is still exactly the same that it was 5 years go...

Hmm...no wait?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    These kinds of downtimes during a launch of a game are never "okay". That's not to say it's not standard or that they shouldn't be expected, but we should hold any company to a high standard of stability. Just because another company has set the standard of low quality doesn't mean another company shouldn't do better.

I'm calm though, it's just the second day ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    People seem to forget that WoW's launch was....

Didn't forget, never took part in said cartoon =)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fletcherea wrote: »
    Didn't forget, never took part in said cartoon =)

HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This one time, at Gnome campm I lagged.....

......and ended up in IF pit!!!

*TRUE STORY*
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2010

ya it does. its called quality improvement. the standards go up not down. well they should anyway. people like you are why so many TRIBBLE games see the light of "mmo" status
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, it's the way of games. Release them now, patch then as we go. It's this way because consumers tolerate it. Doesn't make it right, but all the complaining in the world won't change it. Get over it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have been waiting for this game for a long time now. I am happy with most of the work done on the game thus far, and I do realize that the creation of such a game is not easy. That being said I am very disappointed with Atari ((Cryptic is just a name now, its Atari calling the shots)). Atari want to enter the MMO field and make itself known. Well I must say they are doing a terrible job. I have seen next to none as far as advertising of STO!
    Its almost like there is an office weasel there telling the developers use what you have because you are not getting anymore, perhaps it is one of the three men who have been in charge over the last three years. I have seen strides here as far as customer service, but I grow concerned that it is lip service, as we cannot even get a heads up in game when they have to bring the server down.. I have decided that no matter how much I love Star Trek, that I will not give this game more then three months to demonstrate Atari cares. The reason I will give them three months is to give them the chance to do something, to try and live up to the potential of what this game could be. I hope that Atari gets its head out of the proverbial sand, and realizes that it may never get many of the players they are loosing now due to this incompetence, .

And to the CEO of Atari, Do us a favor, if you want to play with companies like Blizzard, them put some cash on the line. So far it seems you have already cut the cord on STO, and for myself Atari killing Star Trek will be remembered, and not forgotten. In short if this dies, all I will hope for is to see atari fade away as well.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Giggitygoo wrote:
    ya it does. its called quality improvement. the standards go up not down. well they should anyway. people like you are why so many TRIBBLE games see the light of "mmo" status

Yeah! Like starting sentences with capitals! Maybe five years ago that was okay, but nowadays we know better....oh, wait.....
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    WoW still crashes after every major patch, and every major patch takes at least 5 hours longer to install than originally posted...I don't think any of you even play WoW or you'd know the forums FILL with page after page of angry flame every patch day....;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    By that logic, modern cars should barely ever have issues because they have been making them since the turn of the century. No failures on passenger aircraft either, since they've been around nearly as long as cars.

The fact that WoW launched five years ago really doesn't matter. We've topped out Moore's law (as far as CPU ghz goes) since WoW came out -- which is why we now have dual and quad cores.

Hard drives still fail, power supplies still flake out and sometimes take mobos along with them, routers and switches still crumble under a sustained, heavy load.

One thing people tend to overlook is that most dev companies, especially the smaller ones, lease CoLo space -- they don't own their own servers and that means the servers are at a different location from the dev team's offices. I am pretty sure the salesman selling them these leases say whatever the developers want to hear, and that this sometimes leads to server overload -- both account servers and gamer servers. In this economy, dev cos. don't have lots of cash to lease tons of extra servers in advance, so they probably start out on the conservative end.

Lastly, I hope no one thinks that the head start was just out of the goodness of their hearts. It allows them one last weekend of testing -- especially load testing. Then come Monday -- they can work with the CoLo to beef the system up, if need be, and it looks like it needs be.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    how did all these idiots here got into the forums?

"technology is better"... sure, graphics too, and all that overhead generated through uncountable libaries is more chaotical than it ever was. just use your brain... they "reinvent" something, not get there code from blizzard to make a mmo.

and no, cryptic is bigger than microsoft, so, yeah, why isnt there a "unfinished" never-be.finished-product? wtf?

i thought sto players a superior to wow players. but i failed.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Knu wrote:
    True....technology is still exactly the same that it was 5 years go...

Hmm...no wait?

There have been many great posts on this matter. EVERY MMO released had issues during launch. MMOs released next year will have problems during launch. Multiplayer games released for consoles will have problems during launch.

I
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And in case anyone is forgetting, the most recent WoW PATCH releases have had their share of downtime as well - if you are comparing STO to other MMOs, they're on par for sure if not a little better than average in terms of stability and server uptime. We are still a couple days BEFORE RELEASE remember.

@Duhkrok, the more times you reply that exact same post in every thread doesn't make it any more true nor make you look any less like an ignoramus.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    People seem to forget that WoW's launch was slow, laggy, and mostly disconnecting and look at it now. So far, when the server is up, STO has been lag free(Unless your steam), and not slow at all. And its only been down once.
    dont judge STO's launch just yet. its only been 26 hours into head start, with 3 more days remaining

Um, YOU forget my friend. WoW's servers never went offline repeatedly. I was there. It was laggy, but it didn't go offline like this server does.

Cryptic should not be at this point. The optimizations should have been done under load testing, which was back in beta. We are not in beta anymore. The optimizations are going on because they didn't get enough hardware to handle the load. They were shocked to see how many players were logging on. They should NOT have been shocked. Not at all. Give or take a few thousand players, but not to the magnitude they realized.

It happens all the time with these people. They find out..."Oh my god, look at all the people trying to get online!" and they freak out. Then some VP says get that code optimized the best you can so we can keep it up for as long as we can until the new hardware gets in place.

They didn't plan for it and they didn't do their research. Had they looked the reports of how many sales were taking place, then they would not. Their calculations were WAY off, end of story.

bad...bad...bad for Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    WoW's launch was also over 5 years ago

"Yea! Brother!"
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    oddible wrote: »
    And in case anyone is forgetting, the most recent WoW PATCH releases have had their share of downtime as well - if you are comparing STO to other MMOs, they're on par for sure if not a little better than average in terms of stability and server uptime. We are still a couple days BEFORE RELEASE remember.

@Duhkrok, the more times you reply that exact same post in every thread doesn't make it any more true nor make you look any less like an ignoramus.

Sorry, been there. These downtimes are not like WoW at all. Blizzard has a TON more servers than Cryptic has going for them. What they didn't realize, and didn't check, is the mass numbers of players coming online with this game. They didn't plan and prepare.

Someone said this game has to be out on "this" date and they had to do it no matter the cost. So, here we are, with a broken and unoptimized game. It's typical of managment. They do it all the time to start bringing in cash and say "it's an exceptable impact" and they just say "get it done!" and we end up with a POS game on launch day.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Your forgetting the differences - WoW was Blizzard's first and only MMO project (no experience - MMO's were very new) - Cryptic is now on their 3rd MMO and this genre is no longer new - it pays to learn from your experiences and the experiences of others but I'll be fair to say that CO was a greater disaster so they must be doing something close to right.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Vrayel wrote:
    Um, YOU forget my friend. WoW's servers never went offline repeatedly. I was there. It was laggy, but it didn't go offline like this server does.

Cryptic should not be at this point. The optimizations should have been done under load testing, which was back in beta. We are not in beta anymore. The optimizations are going on because they didn't get enough hardware to handle the load. They were shocked to see how many players were logging on. They should NOT have been shocked. Not at all. Give or take a few thousand players, but not to the magnitude they realized.

It happens all the time with these people. They find out..."Oh my god, look at all the people trying to get online!" and they freak out. Then some VP says get that code optimized the best you can so we can keep it up for as long as we can until the new hardware gets in place.

They didn't plan for it and they didn't do their research. Had they looked the reports of how many sales were taking place, then they would not. Their calculations were WAY off, end of story.

You can't have been there, bc not only did the servers crash repeatedly when the game launched, patching is STILL a mess to this day!
  • Options
    edited January 2010

And that makes its acceptable. Well WoW had lots of bugs and issues at launch so its okay if every other company lets it slide too right? So what you are telling me and these companies is that hey I dont care if I buy a defective product ........ I will just wait until they fix it and buy it again. And I will buy it several more times after the first even though I know its broken.

Get real.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    People seem to forget that WoW's launch was slow, laggy, and mostly disconnecting and look at it now.

And YOU seem to forget that on an MMO forum, people are going to complain about any and everything, and you cant reason with them. Work on that memory ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    We do realize that the game hasn't launched yet? For all practical purposes - it's still in a pseudo-testing phase.

Any comparisons to WoW's launch or that of any other game are skewed comparisons because those games were open to the general public at that point. STO isn't.

And I was there for WoW's luanch, it's amazing how many have forgotten that it was basically unplayable for a great many of us.

There were quests that were bugged so that you couldn't complete them (sound familiar?), the newbie areas were overrun with players making it very difficult to find anything to kill, and LAAAAGGG.

I played WoW up until late last summer and I remember several times, even years after launch, where there were unexpected outages. That's life.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yes it does. You know why?

Because this genre of game has people like you who are willing to just sit there and take what they give you without complaint, even fight for the side of the company.

5 years since the launch of WoW and how many other MMOs? WHY do they all have this problem? WHY aren't people trying to hold the games to a higher standard? Stop apologizing for them. It's not like this many pre-orders should be a surprise right? I mean the Open Beta numbers "Shattered their expectations" right? It's their fault if they didn't get a clue from that.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You guys ever seen a PC before?

You know, that thing that works one minute and the next it throws a hissy fit for no reason?

What seems to make you think that the PC's every proffessional gaming company around the world uses are exempt from this?

Going further into it. Programming can be TRIBBLE far worse than anything Hardware related. Even the best programmers cant forsee everything that the tiniest change in code could do. One little line of code added to fix one thing, could throw a whole chunk of code out of whack. And then you have to go in and trawl through MILLIONS of lines of code to hopefully find the right piece of code to fix, and then hope that doesnt create any more problems.

You have to ask yourself, 'could you do this?'. I know I couldnt.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    People seem to forget that WoW's launch was slow, laggy, and mostly disconnecting and look at it now.
    For me WoW wasnt slow and disconecting... just a bit laggy but always playable. And it crashed only 3 times as long as I played up to and on lvl 60.
    So far, when the server is up, STO has been lag free(Unless your steam), and not slow at all. And its only been down once.
    I´m not judging... but I had less lag in the beta... although I dont know if it got more players now :p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Vrayel wrote:

Really?

Because I was there, and recall my server dying (Sargeras) dying several times the first few weeks.

In fact, didn't some of the higher population servers end up having to be brought down for a few DAYS to get fixxed?

Yeah, you'd think Cryptic would've learned by now to be optimistic about the load the server may have to endure.

But it doesn't take away from the fact the game itself is fun, server issues won't be permanent, and that the WoW server I played on had several issues during the early periods of the game.
This discussion has been closed.