test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hi CRYPTIC..Can We have a Countdown for Shutdowns/Maintenance or whatevers in GAME !!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hello...Mr. and Mrs. CRYPTIC.....or who ever is running the gas pump on the servers,

I have a request as well as others...

Nothing like being in the middle of something and the server goes offline...If WE HAD a COUNTDOWN timer or some kind of notice in GAME we could accept it..Its like taking a shower and someone turns the lights off then flushes the tribbles down into space...comon..PLEASE have this countdown....

Sorry if this comment has been mention before ..what a few billion times..and we still cannot get a countdown while in game? It was funny during BETA to see that little green bug in the upper right hand corner...why cant you add something like that for a timer for shutdowns?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Can't Have a countdown for a server crash :confused:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    /Signed! i too dont like to be DC without warning!! First thing is Countdown and second is a Thread in Forums!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It crashed. Thats like asking windows to kindly inform you its going to fail. It doesn't work like that.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes Cryptic why can't you foresee the future for the OP. Apparently he can't grasp the difference between a server CRASH and taking a server down for scheduled maintenance. So please next time for this kid make sure you contact Ms. Cleo so she can tell you when the server is going to crash so this guy can have his 15 min notice.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It crashed. Thats like asking windows to kindly inform you its going to fail. It doesn't work like that.

Exactly what i was going to say :rolleyes:

They probably arent just 'pulling the plug' each time you know
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I want a 24 hour advance notice of any unexpected crashes, and I want it yesterday!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wow, that's a great idea! A countdown for unpredictable events!

Maybe we can also have a countdown for when you're about to get mugged, too? Oh, and how bout a countdown for when you're just about to get into a car accident. Countdowns for natural disasters come to think of it should the priority.

Better get to work on that now Cryptic, or I'll cancel my account and tell alllll my friends you fail!!!11!!/10char
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    lol a countdown to when a server crash is about to take place?

Are you serious OP? And while you are at it Cryptic, any chance of letting me know the lottery numbers in advance for the next few weeks. You see how stupid that sounds? Now read your opening post again ><
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Xanusus wrote: »
    Yes Cryptic why can't you foresee the future for the OP. Apparently he can't grasp the difference between a server CRASH and taking a server down for scheduled maintenance. So please next time for this kid make sure you contact Ms. Cleo so she can tell you when the server is going to crash so this guy can have his 15 min notice.

Hey smart azz..Im not a kid and 2nd how do you know it was a CRASH? I forgot yr A CEO of CRYPTIC and know it all about the servers and crashes etc.

Thanks for the info ..Now go back to making yr youtube and eating yr chips in yr parents basement and touching yr little tribble..
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    How do we know it's a crash? Simple, the server ain't up and we didn't get the messages (that do exist!) telling us the server will be taken down in x minutes like we had this afternoon (or morning for the yanks)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wildmugato wrote: »
    Hey smart azz..Im not a kid and 2nd how do you know it was a CRASH? I forgot yr A CEO of CRYPTIC and know it all about the servers and crashes etc.

Thanks for the info ..Now go back to making yr youtube and eating yr chips in yr parents basement and touching yr little tribble..

Its so scary how much you remind me of a really young (and annoying) Anakin Skywalker.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

http://www.startrekonline.com/support
    Well, they changed the message in the few minutes since I read it, but it used to say "Unexpected Downtime" with an apology. I guess they realized the apology was't heartfelt and wiped it clean :p

Re-Edit: The message is there now. "Unexpected Downtime"
    "Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back online as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on this page for updates, and notification when Star Trek Online is available again. Thank you, The Star Trek Online Team The Star Trek Online Team"

Conclusion: Crash.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

A truely well thought out and mature response.

So are you trying to say that this morning at off peak time cryptic took down the servers for scheduled work with Dev posts warning about it and multiple in game messages and NOW this afternoon in peak time they intentionally took down the servers with no warning what so ever.

oookay....
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I think this link http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=1780006&postcount=1 should make you shut the hell up. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Green117 wrote: »
    lol a countdown to when a server crash is about to take place?

Are you serious OP? And while you are at it Cryptic, any chance of letting me know the lottery numbers in advance for the next few weeks. You see how stupid that sounds? Now read your opening post again ><

yr numbers for next week are 10- 24-32-48-22-09...its a winner play it..and if you peeps understood what I was tring to say..It really had nothing to do with the game crashing as you all say..it was merly a subject that has been on my mind for a while with there MAINTENANCE and or whatevers..and really nothing about a CRASH...!

Its so funny how a ton of you jump on the band wagon to make comments about something that really had nothing to do with a CRASH..If it were to be about a CRASH the title would have been titled CRASH..Hello?

Too many are so quick to judge..thats why we have a messed up world..too many chiefs and not enough indians..
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yr numbers for next week are 10- 24-32-48-22-09...its a winner play it..and if you peeps understood what I was tring to say..It really had nothing to do with the game crashing as you all say..it was merly a subject that has been on my mind for a while with there MAINTENANCE and or whatevers..and really nothing about a CRASH...!

But they DO have messages warning when the server is going down for planned maintenance. We saw them this morning giving us a 30 minute warning, then 15 mins. I logged off at that point, so not sure how many more messages there would have been.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wildmugato was that a picture of a troll as your avatar?
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Its so funny how a ton of you jump on the band wagon to make comments about something that really had nothing to do with a CRASH..If it were to be about a CRASH the title would have been titled CRASH..Hello?

Too many are so quick to judge..thats why we have a messed up world..too many chiefs and not enough indians..

Wait, so a shutdown is different to a crash?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This downtime has all the indications of a crash, not a scheduled maintenance..

It's unfortunate, but it's just the way things are .. Cryptic wants the servers up 24/7 as much as you do, but there is no way to bug test everything and no way to forecast the unexpected outcomes of the interactions of thousands upon thousands of online players...

I'm sure they are working very hard to restore service, and if you read the games TOS you'll note that unexpected downtimes are part of the deal (and to be expected in the first week or two of ANY mmo launch, and periodically thereafter.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tarss wrote:
    wildmugato was that a picture of a troll as your avatar?

no,to be honest with you... it was taken at your house while you were at school of who come from...lol
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    With the way the server was lagging you would have seen this:

10.9. Character screen . 7.6 YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Seriously, Troll baby Mogadishu or whatever, all you had to do was read the forums, apparently the GMs are on it faster than you are: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1780006#post1780006
    Posted at 3:20p.m.
    Why are you still trolling people on this thread? go over there and cry.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This downtime has all the indications of a crash, not a scheduled maintenance..

It's unfortunate, but it's just the way things are .. Cryptic wants the servers up 24/7 as much as you do, but there is no way to bug test everything and no way to forecast the unexpected outcomes of the interactions of thousands upon thousands of online players...

I'm sure they are working very hard to restore service, and if you read the games TOS you'll note that unexpected downtimes are part of the deal (and to be expected in the first week or two of ANY mmo launch, and periodically thereafter.

Im cool with a server crash and game play to be buggy the 1st few weeks of a a new game..I understand all the above...My comment was taken out of context and misunderstood...It had NOTHING to do with the crash..all the NEG comments are way out of line..

For the 3rd time...The title says it all..You wagon jumprs need to go out side and play...The TITLE is a request for a timer that mabey has been mentioned before in other threads..If I was going to complain about a TIMER for a CRASH I would have titled it PLEASE ..can we have a countdown timer for a CRASH..GEE? alot of dumb peeps out there? It might help you who made NEG comments ,to read a BOOK now and then..Then you might understand what a TITLE is?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Earlier today there was scheduled maintenance and there was In game warning message 30, 15 and 5 minutes before server went down for 1,5 hours.. So they do warn you ahead if they know its coming..

-W
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Im cool with a server crash and game play to be buggy the 1st few weeks of a a new game..I understand all the above...My comment was taken out of context and misunderstood...It had NOTHING to do with the crash..all the NEG comments are way out of line..

For the 3rd time...The title says it all..You wagon jumprs need to go out side and play...The TITLE is a request for a timer that mabey has been mentioned before in other threads..If I was going to complain about a TIMER for a CRASH I would have titled it PLEASE ..can we have a countdown timer for a CRASH..GEE? alot of dumb peeps out there? It might help you who made NEG comments ,to read a BOOK now and then..Then you might understand what a TITLE is?

I'm sorry.. Your not makeing sense here.. There is a timer for scheduled maintenance, I've seen it before every maintenance in CB and OB except one where they forgot to trigger it or it crashed earlier than the maintenance.. I forget..

anyways, the timer you're asking for is already in the game
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Weirdoh wrote: »
    Earlier today there was scheduled maintenance and there was In game warning message 30, 15 and 5 minutes before server went down for 1,5 hours.. So they do warn you ahead if they know its coming..

-W

ok...so they did make a notice then during that time..good...I know in other games there is usually a one minute countdown for etc..Didnt know if they had one here in place or not?..

thank you for the answer..
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm sorry.. Your not makeing sense here.. There is a timer for scheduled maintenance, I've seen it before every maintenance in CB and OB except one where they forgot to trigger it or it crashed earlier than the maintenance.. I forget..

anyways, the timer you're asking for is already in the game

thank you..
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You sure do sound like a child the way ur raging on.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    jojobean wrote: »
    You sure do sound like a child the way ur raging on.

you done? Thank you Mrs. penut gallery..
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was thinking that the bugging window popping up this morning was just a bug. It bugged me couple of time and it was saying something about server will go down in about ?? minutes for maintainance or something. Wied stuf huh?
This discussion has been closed.