SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Ok here is a simple formula for ya

(F x T) / S = Crash

Where

F = number of Fans
T = Time of day peak hours
S = Number of Servers

Subset meaning

Champions had a Small fanbase and Str Trek has a MASSIVE fanbase so an ida for Champions is NOT a good idea for Star Trek...
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Sterma wrote: »
    So anybody ELSE think single server is a bad idea..

Nope, I like it.
    edited January 2010
    Obviously there really is no benefit to their instancing. Its a failed concept that hopefully dies here.
    edited January 2010
    Sterma wrote: »
    Ok here is a simple formula for ya

(F x T) / S = Crash

Where

F = number of Fans
    T = Time of day peak hours
    S = Number of Servers

Subset meaning

Champions had a Small fanbase and Str Trek has a MASSIVE fanbase so an ida for Champions is NOT a good idea for Star Trek...

Your thinking is too simplistic. There are many ways to handle a game on a single server. STO happens to employ probably the worst of them.

I personally think single server games are superior to those that aren't, but NOT the way STO was done. I'd encourage you to check out EVE and how they have done the single server game. It feels immense and wondrous, and you really get the sense you are part of a grand community, and in an expansive universe.

STO however was divided into tons of shards and instances which is the cheap way of doing a single server set up. In any case, the way Cryptic did it, I think it is probably the most inferior server set up, more so than a multiple server set up even.
    edited January 2010
    Chenchuan wrote: »
    Obviously there really is no benefit to their instancing. Its a failed concept that hopefully dies here.

Going to have to agree on this one.
    edited January 2010
    Cryptic, please make an RP server so I don't have to play with them.
    edited January 2010
    Your thinking is too simplistic. There are many ways to handle a game on a single server. STO happens to employ probably the worst of them.

I personally think single server games are superior to those that aren't, but NOT the way STO was done. I'd encourage you to check out EVE and how they have done the single server game. It feels immense and wondrous, and you really get the sense you are part of a grand community, and in an expansive universe.

STO however was divided into tons of shards and instances which is the cheap way of doing a single server set up. In any case, the way Cryptic did it, I think it is probably the most inferior server set up, more so than a multiple server set up even.

The way servers are instanced right now, the game feels more like Diablo II. Sector space is the lobby.
    edited January 2010

I've been saying that since the day it was announced. They asked us time and time again to give them the benefit of the doubt, what with their "its hard to explain, you just have to experience it for yourself" routine.

We'll I'ev played STO for a few months now, and all I can say is, their heavy instancing of the game sucks.

"Whats the cheapest way to make a game, and make the biggest profit" pfff
    edited January 2010
    Unexpected downtime :D
    and for those ******.* that dont like the game , ***.* off then more space for us that do like it
    edited January 2010
    Jita lag feast
    took Eve time and money to sort out a single server, it still isnt perfect and likely never will be.

anyway this isnt a single server, the one thing I dislike about sto setup is the zone chat is fast and putrid.
    edited January 2010
    time to not put all the gamer eggs in one basket. Cryptic. you've been doin this since CoH. But at least then you still had multiple servers ( this was a good thing). CO? nah lets make it one super quirky issue ridden server so everybody has the same exact chance of not being happy with their game play experience.

And since its such a big success in CO (look at the number of people that are FLOCKING to that game) why not torpedo our newest representation of a huge amount of money/time/talent in the same way. That way nobody could say cryptic isn't consistent with their game design philosophy.

did i miss something? probably so here is your chance to blow me up in a huge firey ball of hate
    edited January 2010
    Pretty sure instancing is here to stay and will never go away

even multiple server games like WoW are instanced, you basically never meet 90% of the people on your server

Eve online is a horrible jump in the other direction, you meet everyone at once and cant do anything because of the lag
    edited January 2010
    Simple formulas are only a good idea when they make sense. The amount of virtual servers aren't as significant as you might think, a virtual server can consist of more physical servers / server clusters (and their capacity) than, say, 20 virtual servers consisting of fewer physical servers (server clusters).
    edited January 2010
    ... that's a plus?
    edited January 2010

Eve has as many suscribers total as one WoW server population so they can do a single server model and get away with it. If this game expects to do larger numbers in subscribers they better think about dropping the single server idea.
    edited January 2010
    Nope, one universe, one people, one game. Besides, they do have multiple servers clustered together. I'm so tired of having to create a character on this server to play with this friend, one on this server to play with this friend and another to play with this friend.
    edited January 2010

Agree, Sadly untill we all have T1, or fiberoptics to carry our IP any ONE server model will have lag issues.
    edited January 2010
    STO does not use a single server. It uses at least 49 servers chained together. All the servers are connected, creating one large farm of servers to delegate load to.
    edited January 2010
    Yes I think it was a good idea. In concept when you zone into a zone and there are 10 different instance, you are essentially in 10 different servers.

Somebody in Alpha Centari space is in a different server than somebody in Siriius Space.

The reason that I made the above comparisons, is after people spread out in the universe there may only be one instance for each sector space. And since space is a big place you would be all alone out there if you were on a server that could only support 3000 concurrent sessions (such as WOW).

I think there is merit to the way the game is done, though the model wouldn't work well for every MMO out there.
This discussion has been closed.