test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are you Serious Cryptic ?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
You bring the server down for Maintance on a Saturday at noon when people are off work and not in school and with out any warning in game, I was in the middle of a mission, now i will have to start all over cause ill be kicked out of that system, would have been nice for some notification that you were going to do this at a stupid time of the day, why cant you guys do this at night when people are sleeping, not in the middle of the day.

UPset and Angry Lifetime member,
thats ok ill go log on WoW, since they dont bring their servers down in the middle of the day.:mad:
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Do you HONESTLY think this was a schedules maint time and not a crash??
    epic troll?
    edited January 2010
    Dude he's logging into WoW, obviously he's very upset.
    edited January 2010
    why cant you guys do this at night when people are sleeping, not in the middle of the day.

Nighttime for whom? This game is played worldwide, you plonker.

Al
    edited January 2010
    Encima wrote: »
    Dude he's logging into WoW, obviously he's very upset.

Lol, I almost spit my coffee out after reading this :)

I'm sure it was a server crash or something beyond their control. They are usually very good at giving us notice when they know the server is coming down.
    edited January 2010
    thats ok ill go log on WoW, since they down bring their servers down in the middle of the day.:mad:

Except on Tuesdays..... or for a few days right after a big patch.....

Sort of like Fizzbin.
    edited January 2010
    HMMMM i remember when wow came out, massive crashes, lag ect. lots of downtime to put the servers up. Is Sto suffering the same fate, to many people, to little hardware to support it.

Is sto more popular than cryptic thought it was?
    edited January 2010
    hmmm.... dont think we are currently suffering a **planned** maintenance.... server's been sluggish since 3-4hrs ago.
    edited January 2010
    Obviously the scheduled maintenance from 5-7AM CST has been moved to the middle of the day unannounced.

Yes.
    edited January 2010
    lol love posters like this awesome :
    edited January 2010
    cry baby go play wow!!!! **** happens get over it. i hope i never run in to you in game. they are working very hard and have come along way in a short time. go cry to your mom and stay off the forums!!!!
    edited January 2010
    I don't mind the servers crashing. I'm sure Cryptic will have to iron out some bugs for a while.

My concern is that they are offline for so long! Can't you just reboot the servers? Or are they overheating due to the load and need time to cool off?

If its the latter, then watch out for the public release when everyone else joins up. The servers are going to melt.
    edited January 2010
    Project_00 wrote:
    HMMMM i remember when wow came out, massive crashes, lag ect. lots of downtime to put the servers up. Is Sto suffering the same fate, to many people, to little hardware to support it.

Is sto more popular than cryptic thought it was?

Uh, duh?

There was actually an article posted on the sto website from cryptic, and they were talking about how they tried so hard to predict the numbers they would get with the beta and main release and how to this date their guesses have been completely crushed. From what sompe people I know have been telling me, this has happened to a few early stage mmo's like wow. Its growing pains, people. I for one am glad that there are so many people online.
    edited January 2010
    You do realize that there will allways be a part of the world screwed if they only plan maintanance during midnights where you are from?

Cryptic actually managed to perform an emergency maintenance during the middle of the european day (midnight for you). You probably didn't realize since you were still sleeping. They did however notified the players in advance (which is good). What happens now is probably a crash of some sort probably caused by the overload of US (after lunch) and Euro (after dinner) players.
    edited January 2010
    UPset and Angry Lifetime member
    You forgot to say "first time MMO player." If you expected ANYTHING other than some problems over the first month of the game you can't have played any other MMO at launch.

These things happen, they will happen whether you decide to rave and rant about them or whether you decide to laugh it off and say "To be expected, it'll get sorted."

So guess which attitude will contribute most to your health and well being?
    edited January 2010
    Since there are no satisfactory ship-based MMOs for the masses (Eve included), I'm not surprised that they are overwhelmed. Their business model couldn't have accurately accounted for what is, in essence, a new demograph.
    edited January 2010
    You bring the server down for Maintance on a Saturday at noon

Pssst... there are folks in Europe & Australia playing it too. So it's always noon somewhere.

And FWIW, "Maintenance" actually is a nice spin on the fact of "Issues" - otherwise they'd have scheduled it far enough in advance and let everyone know.

bluco wrote: »
    My concern is that they are offline for so long! Can't you just reboot the servers? Or are they overheating due to the load and need time to cool off?

Things hopefully will be better when they setup a dev server to tryout the patches before rolling them live. That should dramatically improve stability - and they've said they're going to have a dev server soon too.

I'll add that I'm fine with them having issues this weekend, I suspected it would be a bit bumpy, which is why they've done their pre-order release weekend. So I'll forgive em that. But starting on Tues, they had better credit us for the time they're offline. Because that isn't a fair bargain for a game we pay monthly for.
    edited January 2010
    Gary_Rodeh wrote: »
    Since there are no satisfactory ship-based MMOs for the masses (Eve included), I'm not surprised that they are overwhelmed. Their business model couldn't have accurately accounted for what is, in essence, a new demograph.

I agree in part with this. They also are having to take into account the shear number of Star Trek fans that are interested. However, I can't imagine how you come up with an estimate. It's possible everyone with a computer who is a ST fan will play. OTOH, it is possible that like SWG, only the very hard core will play. So hard to make estimates off of that.

However, the first weekend of OB the server got so hammered they were scrambling to get upgrades in house. I suspect they will be delightfully overwhelmed by the response come Launch day.

I have no doubt the problems will continue until they get the full numbers online. No way a business will pay for a major piece of hardware capable of handling millions of players until they prove to the money men that they will have millions of paying subscribers.

In the mean time, my advice for those who are playing on Launch Day:

Shields Up! All hands brace for Impact.
    edited January 2010
    More LOL posts! <3 love it!
    edited January 2010
    Are you serious Cryptic?:

Nah, we were just jokin' with ya! Come on back, we'll let you play. We brought you cake and ice cream as well, and later, if you're good, mommy will let you pick out a new toy. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.