test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Enough with the pop-ups already

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Can we get an option to NOT completely stop us everytime there is a pop-up asking us to do a mission? This is really annoying, especially in the fleet action areas when we're in the middle of a huge fight. If you click "Not Now" it keeps coming back repeatedly.:mad:

Yes, I have submitted a bug report.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I agree, I lost my ship to one of these popups during the sb 24 mission.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I agree its in your face always at the worst of times, best of times, boring times, fun times, slow times ... its just about the most annoying interface feature ever. Maybe Cryptic can make it look like a popup communication screen down in the right hand corner or something ... ugh....

maybe we can move its popup position ourselves in the hud arranger ....

I'll check first chance i get.

Even if we can it's still ugly.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Clearly, such a design is intended to nurture "the force" in player capabilities. We should not discourage people from reaching their unknown potential.

Therefore, I disagree. We need more popups. Since this is clearly a critical element of the design and architecture, I believe the popups have been nerfed to the point of unbalancing play. More popups are needed to level out the challenge.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Can we get an option to NOT completely stop us everytime there is a pop-up asking us to do a mission? This is really annoying, especially in the fleet action areas when we're in the middle of a huge fight. If you click "Not Now" it keeps coming back repeatedly.:mad:

There is an option to not stop your ship when you get a mission popup already.

EDIT: Options -> Controls -> Keep Moving During Contact Dialogue
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I like to the read the pop-ups but its damn annoying when you get one while you are in a frigging fight.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Genosaurer wrote: »

This. Been there since beta.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Agree with OP. Last night the same dialogue box kept popping up probably about 5-6 times. It was multi response too so I had to click through like 3 windows each time for some muppet that was giving me the same useless information in the middle of a fight. I was ready to smash my keyboard.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This. Been there since beta.

Aye.
    just a note... the popups still stop you from doing a whole bunch of stuff, like picking up loot for one...
    and sometimes clicking 'not now' with bug your missions (if it's the 'warp out'/'explore a while' type thing).
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The simplest solution would be to have them appear in "minimised" form i.e. as an item on the far right that flashes until youve clicked it to read it.

The trading freighters are just as annoying, they persist in telling you that they are leaving even when you haven't actually started a conversation with them.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Genosaurer wrote: »

Yea, I have that set up like that, but it still stops me. I also get the same pop-up multiple times in a short period. I notice it mostly during Fleet Actions.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've not seen any popups that are not helpfull. I hope your not the players that also need to ask where Sulu is because you can't be bothered reading anything.

Change the position of the message in your HUD or something.

Also you will get the popup for PvP but theres no other way to do it.

I think they are going for a commander feel where we get lots of information especially from our bridge crew. Thats just the nature of star trek. In the series theres information getting passed everywhere during battles.

Be a huge task and cost a lot to do most of it by audio in a game this big but get more audio would be great.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    /sign For the love of all that is Star Trek, enough with the pop ups!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've not seen any popups that are not helpfull. I hope your not the players that also need to ask where Sulu is because you can't be bothered reading anything.

Change the position of the message in your HUD or something.

Also you will get the popup for PvP but theres no other way to do it.

I think they are going for a commander feel where we get lots of information especially from our bridge crew. Thats just the nature of star trek. In the series theres information getting passed everywhere during battles.

Be a huge task and cost a lot to do most of it by audio in a game this big but get more audio would be great.

Why would you assume people that complain about this issue are "Where's Sulu" players? I can't even connect that line of thinking....

not looking around -VS- a game design that physically stops your ship with multiple pop-ups saying the exact same thing.

Nope... can't figure that line out. :rolleyes:

EDIT: And in the series when the tactical officer told the Capt. that the Borg were attacking, the ENTIRE ship did not stop in space until the officer finished his statement.

I don't mind informative pop-ups, but I don't want my ship to completely stop everytime. I want the option that says don't stop me to actually work. I also don't want the exact same pop-up to keep coming up whenever I say not now, because I'm getting shot up or helping someone.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    amen to that. im pretty sure the world figured out pop ups suk 10 years ago
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    amen to that. im pretty sure the world figured out pop ups suk 10 years ago

HAH! Lets make some cash by selling a STO pop-up blocker. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    they need to make a interface element for comms, jsut a small box that you can move wherever that shows the np, the dialog, and options underneath it. Nothing should ever pop up in the middle of my screen like that.

It would also be nice to have voice to go with the text....
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    it shouldnt take 3 popups/confirm to just EXIT A MAP.

95% of the pop-ups confirms need to be removed.

Or give us the option to turn them off. Most just state the obvious or prevent us from doing things our selves.. I can move to a station and click DOCK. I dont need a pop up asking DO YOU WANT TO DOCK? and then making me CONFIRM after i said yes.

As a gamer I dont see me putting up with this for very long. There are plenty of games I can support with my money that dont require me to confirm every action and sit thru several loading screens just so i can get to my bank. Its old after a week. Do you want to be dealing with it two months from now?

Everyone who has played/reviewed the game says something about this.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Durwood wrote: »
    they need to make a interface element for comms, jsut a small box that you can move wherever that shows the np, the dialog, and options underneath it. Nothing should ever pop up in the middle of my screen like that.

It would also be nice to have voice to go with the text....

the point is though that we dont need most of them. They either tell us the obvious or make us use that window to enter a choice which we could do just by clicking. I can beam down or exit or dock with out pop up support. I know I killed the last ship or scanned the last item. I dont need a pop up telling me killed the last ship. I want to just exit. BUT I cant. I have to wait for the crew guy to come up and tell me Im done. The ask me if i want to leave. Then make me confirm I want to leave.

No other game in the history of gaminghas put some many annoyances in for it players. I think you would have to go back to the 90s to even find one that had 1/2 as many things that pop up withouy you clicking.

Then there are the stores. You cant just click the vendor and see their good. You get a worthless "welcome" sceen, then a list and then their goods. The only point is to waste our time and make the game tedious.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have to agree the pop-up thing is annoying. But I think there are mixed issues here. The deal with the same pop-up coming multiple times and the quest being bugged sometimes when dismissing them are bugs. But the general annoyance of them is a design problem. The communicator idea sounds like a good idea. Pop-ups shouldn't be used to stop you from actions in a game like this. They should simply inform and then the action part should take place in another area of the UI. This would allow you to completely ignore the information if you already know what to do, like docking or warping to the next location.
This discussion has been closed.