test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

how do i circumvent steam to launch game?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2010 in The Academy
Sorry if this has been talked to death, please forgive but im so sick of having steam launch so i can launch the actual game, ive seen some people mention it on here but im not sure how to do that, could someone explain it briefly?? thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    pretty sure it's not possible since that's the whole point of steam. glwt though,
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    First, go tell Steam to never update Star Trek Online.
    Then navigate to the install location
    (steam folder/steamapps/common/star trek online)
    Find the Star Trek Online Launcher
    Make a shortcut to the desktop.
    Use the launcher to launch the game from now on.
    You'll be able to play without having to be on Steam.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you downloaded and installed the game through Steam, I don't know that you can bypass it.

I purchased my registration key through Steam, but had an existing beta install that I use to play. You should be able to download the client from FilePlanet or anywhere else and run the game normally. Just make sure you right click on your Steam installation and pick "Manage Game Account" to make sure your account key gets put in correctly. Works for me so far.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Manually find the launcher in your Steam Folder, mine was in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online. It will open without having to even open Steam.

You can use this for all Steam games, unless they require Steam for multiplayer.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's why I call it the 'Steaming' pile of ****. These draconian methods to lock down a game that you have to be online (and therefore logged in) are ridiculous. You guys that like Steam, more power to ya, but any time I've ever tried to use it, it's been problematic at best.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    thanks everyone, followed your instructions and got to the game client, yeah i only downloaded steam cause thats the one that i've used the last time i bought a game online (makes it twice now) and i knew it wasnt corrupt or problematic in download and not that bad in time to download, but i dont fancy going through steam everytime to play the game..anyway, got it running now thanks for the help lads/lasses

now im going to get me some fish and chips and come back ready to marathon game...hope to see some of you in there
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I downloaded the Beta from a place that's not Steam then patched up from the Beta. It worked...