test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Exploration mission = awful

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Okay we're in release now and these things are still just awful. To make matters worse if you and a teammate both explore the same system you each get SEPERATE missions to do... There seems to be no way to share your exploration efforts with a buddy.

Of course the entire game is crippled by the "Loading...." delay as there arent enough instances to support the loading crowd and the Exploration missions often have several different maps thus compounding the problem.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Okay we're in release now and these things are still just awful. To make matters worse if you and a teammate both explore the same system you each get SEPERATE missions to do... There seems to be no way to share your exploration efforts with a buddy.

Of course the entire game is crippled by the "Loading...." delay as there arent enough instances to support the loading crowd and the Exploration missions often have several different maps thus compounding the problem.

shhh dont diss the game or you will get flamed
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes *please* Cryptic, you obviously rushed the exploration part of the game, you need to improve things in that area :

- rework the star clusters, they look too small and don't feel like exploring : why not removing the borders, make us return to one side of the map when reaching the other side (in an invisible manner) and make sure we are alone (or with our teamate) in those instances ? It would help the "no one has gone before" feeling I think

- the 4 blinkings hunt was ridiculous at first, annoying after a while and now clearly pitiful : give a meaning to those missions with minigames

- some of the exploration missions are supposed to be done very quickly, add a real timer

Or do something else, anything but do it please please please.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Actually a buddy and myself grouped up for all of the exploration content we did last night... The only issue I noticed is that it appears the Sector maps are limited to 5 people... so we had to jump around when we would get separated after doing an episode to make sure we were on the same map... Midly tedious and hopefully something Cryptic can address.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    momurda wrote: »
    shhh dont diss the game or you will get flamed

Once the noobs get tired of pewpewing the same 15 orions / gorn / klingons flying TRIBBLE per patrol, the game will be flamed because of exploration. Cryptic needs to act now.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded" - Yogi Berra
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Delazure wrote: »
    Once the noobs get tired of pewpewing the same 15 orions / gorn / klingons flying TRIBBLE per patrol, the game will be flamed because of exploration. Cryptic needs to act now.

Actually, I did exploration for about five hours yesterday, and I had a great time doing it. Of course, there was only two patrols in all that time, and while one was an Orion the other was an unknown species.

I'm also willing to lay odds I'm significantly less of a 'noob' than you are in this game, before you jump to that conclusion.

Exploration needs improvement, without a doubt, but don't assume your impression is the only one, or your opinion the only one. Suggest what needs to be fixed about it, rather than threatening -- because there were certainly plenty of people in the cluster not just last night but all through Open Beta, which means A) it's getting played and B) there are people who like it, which makes your threat seem toothless.

It's hard to actually build constructive criticism, I realize -- in part because it necessitates not just saying what's wrong but what would make it right, and all too often 'wrongness' is a gut feeling instead of something quantifiable. However, if you're actually trying to make the exploration content better, it's the only way to do it.

Of course, if what you're really doing is venting over your frustration, c'est la vie. But don't expect anything positive to come from it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, being unable to team for explores is really facepalm.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    my only exploration complaint thus far is that I have receieved the exact same mission on two separate occasions (same planet graphics, same find 5 artifacts and deactivate them, same artifacts, same place, same rocks around them). I enjoyed exploration in OB, but my 6 missions thus far have been three of the same mission.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    sure the exploration is not what I imagined...

After reading the specs of the Genesis system, I was looking forward to go into a open space at warp and randomly got a warning of one of my BO to signal something worth my interest.

here it's simply go in that map, rush to be the first to have an event, scan a sample, pickup up 4 more, and beam up... yeah that's totally what Picard did in the show.

- no Nuked civilization.
    - no contamination by a virus that lately affect my crew
    - no getting infos on artifact dealer to bring to justice
    - no investigation, which is the biggest part of Startrek !
    - no prime directive moral choice on rescuing a fellow comrade trap on a pre-warp planet
    - no witnessing the very first warp travel of a civilisation a first contact
    - no diplomatic mission with a out come that depends of my choices...
    - no trap in a "no warp zone" but managing to get out by playing with engineering
    - no more ideas for now...

Cryptic, come on, you could do some much more...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Some WoT

tl;dr

10chars
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jor-El wrote: »
    sure the exploration is not what I imagined...

To say the least. A lot of beta testers suggested ideas to improve both the star clusters and the missions. Of course, they were flamed by the fanbois but still, the exploration part of the game is disappointing so far.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    To say the least. A lot of beta testers suggested ideas to improve both the star clusters and the missions. Of course, they were flamed by the fanbois but still, the exploration part of the game is disappointing so far.

What gets me is that the MAIN reason people complain about something is because they care:eek:

Seriously, if I played the game for a few hours.. went "Meh" and deleted if from my computer do you think I would be on the forums complaining about it? No I wouldn't.

If anything, the complainers should be listened to MORE then the praisers because frankly they AREN"T satisfied with the way the game is.. So why people flame the people who complain is beyond me.. they aren't complaining because they want to "Bash the game" they are complaining because they like the game and KNOW it can be so much more!

Oh, and exploration is weak sauce in this game. I remember it being promoted as a major element of the game.. you could find new planets and YOU would get to name them.. virtually limitless exploration possiblities.. resources you could funnel back to help you faction.. etc etc... what we have now is a generic mission type templates:

If in space:
    Destroy X number of ships
    Scan X Number of objects
    Deliver X goods

If on ground:
    Destroy X Number of enemies
    Scan X Number of Objects

And thats pretty much it... so sad.:(
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Exploration makes me cry in this game. It almost seems like Cryptic had so many facets to this game, and in the end cut a lot of them out for launch, and did the bare minimum for the rest, save for ship combat.

I suppose we are forced to go through combat for most fo the game because it was the only thing they were able to fine tune the most.

But they are going to get an earful from the trek community if they dont get on the ball with exploration... this was something that was set to make this MMO different from all the rest. So far... it is just the crime computer from City of Heroes (which bored me to tears in that game).
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ashcraft wrote: »
    Yeah, being unable to team for explores is really facepalm.

I'm not so sure I agree with this. I've always thought on the exploration side of things as being a solitary thing.
    Did we ever see Enterprise with its fleet buddies when it was exploring (any of them)?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    tl;dr

You know it wasn't. And you know you did... The problem is that what was said is pretty much contrary to your opinion, and after having read it you know that there is truth to it, but you just don't want to admit that maybe things really aren't so wrong with exploration...

I just love how the "tl;dr" statement is used as a counter to anything someone says that the user can't come up with a real argument against... especially when it's only a few paragraphs long. Why even bother posting at all?

I think I am going to start reporting every single person who uses tl;dr as a response to someone's post that takes up less than half of my screen. Because if you don't have to scroll down to read the whole post, then really, it's not all that long...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You can group for exploration missions. The Fleet I'm in were doing so earlier.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    As time goes by, I think that we will see more and more elements added to the list of possible events in exploration missions. Just like we'll end up seeing more uniform style options, more ship options, and many other such things...

And you know? It may eventually be possible for those who reach the rank of Admiral to construct missions for those in their fleet to undertake, using all of the elements available to the genesis system's random selection process. I say Admiral rank because in the shows, it's typically an admiral who sends the crew on missions...

I see what we have right now as merely the base upon which much much more will be built. All MMOs grow. This one will as well... Yes, it was born prematurely, and it is very weak. But it is not on life support, and it can sustain itself. It is now "our baby" as much as it is Cryptics. I think that if we just give it a chance, asn time goes on, we'll start to see some really cool things.

Even Star Trek: The Next Generation was a bit weak in its first season, and at first it took some getting used to. But the characters became more defined, production quality improved, and the stories became more intriguing. It became a very strong show, loved by many many people. If cryptic treats STO in the same way, the same result should occur. There is certainly a lot of potential.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    tl;dr

I submit you may not have the patience to be an explorer in the first place. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I hope, and believe, that Cryptic will put more exploration content with every content patch inside the game, just on the side, without letting the exploration content addition become the main attraction of the patch altogether.
This discussion has been closed.