test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Possible "RP Server" Solution; RP Instances

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I'm totally talking through my TRIBBLE here, because I don't know anything about ... coding or servers or ... whatever. But if there cannot be an RP server, how about designating a limited number of instances as "RP Instances". You know, you click "Change Instance" on your map, and you'd see for instance "Earth Spacedock #113 (RP)". Then perhaps have an option you could select that would transfer you to an RP instance whenever possible.

Is this at all doable? I mean in the most basic sense, wouldn't the only thing Cryptic would have to do is rename a couple instances to have (RP) at the end? That's basically all WoW did. As far as I know, RP and Normal servers in WoW are the exact same, save for being categorized as an RP server.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    There's an RP instance already. Here's how you access it:

Click on the little "down arrow" on your minimap, under the "+/-" for zooming.
    Click on "Go to Bridge".

Blammo, you're in the RP instance.

Alternately, form a global chat channel, make a new chat tab, and take Zone and Local off that tab.
    edited January 2010
    The only thing a RP instance would achieve would be a douche magnet. Two things need to happen.

Some folks need to stop being so damn petty about a silly non-canon name
    Cryptic needs to offer real consequences for those people who do Break the rules just to cheese others off.

Until both happens we will keep the status quo, because the status is not quo...the Game is a mess and I just need to rule it. :rolleyes:
    edited January 2010
    You smartass =P. Though you do have a good point. BUT, that requires knowing people beforehand that RP. I wanna be able to go anywhere in the game and know that I won't get funny looks for RPing, and meet other RPers.

And Storm, I don't get why everyone's so tight about non-canon names. I think a lot of them are hilarious. And frankly I'm surprised there aren't MORE non-canon names. But you're right, until there IS an RP instance, there's no grounds to "punish" non-canon ship names.
    edited January 2010
    How about if you start with a user created RP chat channel and communicate and coordinate from there?
    edited January 2010
    Cwynlaen wrote:
    How about if you start with a user created RP chat channel and communicate and coordinate from there?

That would work too I suppose. The channel would have to be a local one though, just an RP version of it.
    edited January 2010
    Well I guess it would be possible to mark instances as RP Zones, and maybe add a function that will port players with an active RP flag only to these zones.

Of course there will be people who will go to those zones simply to harrass Roleplayers. Unless Cryptic is willing to enforce RP rules in any RP environment they might just as well not do anything about it.

What I really do not get is the general hostility towards Roleplayers. So it is not your preferred playstyle, does that mean those people have no right to claim some Devlove? I must say I'd rather play around hardcore RPers then between players who like to switch off their brains and act like 5 year olds when they're playing.

In conclusion: Mutual respect and tolerance is a nice thing but does not work on that internet thingie. Seperate servers for incompatible playstyles do look like a good solution.
    edited January 2010
    weissbrot wrote: »
    Well I guess it would be possible to mark instances as RP Zones, and maybe add a function that will port players with an active RP flag only to these zones.

Of course there will be people who will go to those zones simply to harrass Roleplayers. Unless Cryptic is willing to enforce RP rules in any RP environment they might just as well not do anything about it.

What I really do not get is the general hostility towards Roleplayers. So it is not your preferred playstyle, does that mean those people have no right to claim some Devlove? I must say I'd rather play around hardcore RPers then between players who like to switch off their brains and act like 5 year olds when they're playing.

In conclusion: Mutual respect and tolerance is a nice thing but does not work on that internet thingie. Seperate servers for incompatible playstyles do look like a good solution.

I think people often forget what the RP in MMORPG stands for. Cryptic doesn't have to enforce RP instances, they just have to enforce respect.
This discussion has been closed.