test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wasted skill points

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I just realized I've spent my 4200SP in the LT column and that does NOTHING to rank me to LT Commander.

Great. The last 10 hours of playing has been for nothing.

Awsome!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    YoshiSato wrote: »
    I just realized I've spent my 4200SP in the LT column and that does NOTHING to rank me to LT Commander.

Awsome!

How do you mean? What did you spend your SP on?

As long as you spend it, it shoudl count towards your next level up. That's how I understand it.
    edited January 2010
    All skills count towards leveling you up, and getting you to next rank.
    Perhaps you spend points into soemthing that your skills are not benefiting from? There will be respecs later.
    edited January 2010

Awsome!

Wich lvl are you at right now?
    edited January 2010
    Can't level up to Lt cdr without spending 6700 points in the Lt column..
    edited January 2010
    I gues you dont understand howe this game work
    edited January 2010
    SKurj wrote:
    Can't level up to Lt cdr without spending 6700 points in the Lt column..

I'm pretty sure you can put those points ANYWHERE available. Lower tiers included.
    edited January 2010
    The tooltip for next rank does not keep track of how many points you have spent. You just need to spend 6700.
    edited January 2010
    you can spend in anything.. what sucks is when you buy/train new BO skills you lose all the points spent in the old skill.. That really really sucks, unless im missing something
    edited January 2010
    I'm pretty sure you can put those points ANYWHERE available. Lower tiers included.
    yes you can.
    edited January 2010

Well when you're an LT , you have no choice because only LT skills are available...

I don't think you can "waste" skill points so much as you can spend them in a way that doesn't fit the course you would have wanted had you known about it...

Personally I hate the uber-templates... Particularly when they are determined by players... because as sound as their reasoning may seem, they don't really know how the formulas interact behind the scenes... Though often seeming very sure that they do...

A really "horribly" distributed set of skill investments, may actually end up being an amazing combination... Better yet, an awesome combination *for you*.... I think in every MMO I've played there are a handful of players that come up with an awesome unexpected formula by bucking trends, then everyone rushes to copy them...

Just a little potential silver lining for ya =D
    edited January 2010
    Well actually, WHERE you spend you skill points does not matter, how many skill points though, that is a different story. You have to spend a certain number of skill points to advance in rank, and a certain number of SP to advance in grade.
    edited January 2010
    .... And why do you complain about it in the forums where nothing will happen instead of contacting a gm in game to sort it out...
    edited January 2010
    He's probably refering to the bug in game. When you mouse over the bar it says you need to spend 6700 MORE points. So when he spends some, that total never goes down. It shouls say you need to spend 6700 points or 6700 TOTAL points. Rest assured OP it is counting.
    edited January 2010
    S31Apoc wrote: »
    you can spend in anything.. what sucks is when you buy/train new BO skills you lose all the points spent in the old skill.. That really really sucks, unless im missing something

BO skill popints dont count toward your leveling.

BO skill points are totally seperate and have no effect on what you level is, since they set a cap on skillpoints you can only pick up so many skills on your character but you will keep getting BO skill points.
    edited January 2010
    You have to go to admiral quinn to get promoted....

nuthings gonna happen from sp alone....
    edited January 2010
    someGit wrote: »
    Well when you're an LT , you have no choice because only LT skills are available...

I don't think you can "waste" skill points so much as you can spend them in a way that doesn't fit the course you would have wanted had you known about it...

Personally I hate the uber-templates... Particularly when they are determined by players... because as sound as their reasoning may seem, they don't really know how the formulas interact behind the scenes... Though often seeming very sure that they do...

A really "horribly" distributed set of skill investments, may actually end up being an amazing combination... Better yet, an awesome combination *for you*.... I think in every MMO I've played there are a handful of players that come up with an awesome unexpected formula by bucking trends, then everyone rushes to copy them...

Just a little potential silver lining for ya =D

With no way to respec though it limits what you can experience, say at LTC you train up cruiser and decide to try a science ship and love it, all those points you put into cruiser are lost to you and waisted.

We should really be able to try out the diffrent class's pre LTC that way when we hit it we know what direction we want to go and dont have to really worry about skill points in the wrong class choice.
    edited January 2010

Awsome!

Every SP you spend goes towards your next rank. Your post doesn't makes sense. All the game cares about is that you SPEND the points.. ANYPLACE
    edited January 2010
    For those worried about BO skill points, by the time you get to tier 3 you'll have enough points banked to fully train a whole new crew. BO sp are a highly renewable resource
    edited January 2010
    Riyx wrote:
    With no way to respec though it limits what you can experience, say at LTC you train up cruiser and decide to try a science ship and love it, all those points you put into cruiser are lost to you and waisted.

We should really be able to try out the diffrent class's pre LTC that way when we hit it we know what direction we want to go and dont have to really worry about skill points in the wrong class choice.

Or you could be smart and try the ships before spending points on any of them.

Respecs are coming in any case.
    edited January 2010
    I'm really hoping they get respecs into the game as soon as possible. I mean ahead of bugfixing even.

I don't need to be perfect or anything, but with the skill cap in place and me not knowing exactly which skills I'm going to be using (and should invest in), I'm just not pulling the trigger yet.

Seriously, I wonder how far I can get without putting any earned points into anything... currently rank6 and haven't spent a single point yet :confused:

If I only knew I could back it out (even if it was time limited and/or cost energy) I would at least give what I THINK is good a shot.
    edited January 2010
    someGit wrote: »

People don't suddenly come up with "uber-templates" off the top of their head. There is usually a lot of player testing involved. The numbers and "fomulas interacting behind the scenes" are hardly difficult to figure out. Numbers are numbers and you can't really change them.

A lot of people use your argument, the "I'm a unique snowflake" argument, for building absolutely moronic skill and gear sets. There is a range of what works for a given thing, but it is very narrow.

If you want to be unique make yourself so with your personality.
    edited January 2010
    Be great if we could see a thread with people's planned builds?
    edited January 2010
    It turns out that progress bar thing at the top of the screen is bugged because it's still showing that I must spend another 6700 skill points even after I spent another 500. :confused:
    edited January 2010
    Gargamol wrote:
    I'm really hoping they get respecs into the game as soon as possible. I mean ahead of bugfixing even.

I don't need to be perfect or anything, but with the skill cap in place and me not knowing exactly which skills I'm going to be using (and should invest in), I'm just not pulling the trigger yet.

Seriously, I wonder how far I can get without putting any earned points into anything... currently rank6 and haven't spent a single point yet :confused:

If I only knew I could back it out (even if it was time limited and/or cost energy) I would at least give what I THINK is good a shot.

My understanding is, You must spend points in order to gain rank but you can only spend those points in skills of your current rank.

You can't save to put all of your points into Admiral level skills.
    edited January 2010

Awsome!

The point of the head start is to learn
This discussion has been closed.