test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Questions about Biographies

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2010 in The Academy
I'm having a problem with my characters bio. When ever i try to enter it i get an error message saying it is invalid. Is their some place that goes over what characters are allowed, and perhaps a character count? I have tried every imaginable way to copy my bio into the field but it never accepts it.

I wrote it up in Microsoft word first, then tried to copy paste it in. Perhaps it is a bug with copy and pasting? Any way this is the bio i keep trying to add. I wish their was more room as i like to get as in depth with description as i can, however sadly it looks like it will be limited to only a paragraph or two. Any help from others having the same problem, or have not, would be appreciated.
Officer Name: Seesti Thirn
Officer Training: Engineering
Race: Set Tii
Racial Traits of Note: The Set Tii are a hermaphroditic race of beings that consist of only one sex. With the exception of having both male and female gentiles, the Set Tii have an appearance of a humanoid female.

The Set Tii constantly releases a pheromone that affects those around them in various ways. Depending on how strongly the Set Tii give off this pheromone, the effects can range from a desire to work to the best of the individual’s abilities, to an uncontrollable lust and desire to be with the Set Tii. The pheromones use amongst the Set Tii was a way for others of their species to impose superiority amongst each other, as those with the strongest pheromones would over power the others around them, causing the others to see her as the superior of the group.

Due to this racial development the Set Tii prefer to work in groups, as there race has developed around being in a hierarchical pack whether it is of friends, family, lovers, or co-workers. Set Tii born with a powerful pheromone tend to have a harder time adjusting to life in Starfleet while they are of lower rank because they have been raised to believe that they have the right to be in charge of those around them, no matter the situation, due to their powerful pheromones.

Because of the effects of the Set Tii’s pheromone on other species they are highly valued as counselors, diplomats, team leaders, and ship captains.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    This is only a guess, but Word has some formatting codes that are not visible but are there nonetheless. I'd bet these formatting codes are messing things up. just use good old notepad, and try to copy and paste from there. Hope it works for you. (since it's already typed, you could always print it out and type it over in the game)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yep its definately word formatting giving you the error here.
    All of the text in game seems to be HTML in origin so those word formatting codes will royally TRIBBLE things up.

As Bilbo said, use notepad and copy and paste from there. Even with that I still had to reformat after pasting.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Was a no go, tried to copy it in notepad then recopy it in game and it was the same error. Invalid biography. I guess i can try retyping it all out by hand, though the idea of that scares the living hell out of me. I live and die by spell check as i cant spell or type to save my life lol. I would probably go insane if after typing it all out again it where to give the same error.:(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you copy from Word to notepad, some of those codes will follow. Your best bet now is to print it out, then retype it in-game. sorry. :(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe it's something as simple as the word "sex" being in a censor list? Try removing that?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Le sigh, i think i figured it out. I tried making a new character instead of editing the bio, and i think i found the reason. When i tried to make it, it said it contained inappropriate words and there for was not allowed. Now i gotta dig through the thing and figure out what word they deem inappropriate and find a work around for it.

I swear if hermaphrodite is restricted in a dam universe made up of more hermaphrodite races then i can count, i will go something something...:mad:

EDITE: omg.... it doesn't work because i have the word sex in my description, when referring to the races lack of gender distinction. I hate blanket filters like this.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rekkx wrote: »
    Maybe it's something as simple as the word "sex" being in a censor list? Try removing that?

Ya i just tried it, and that was the word. Stupid filters.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Le sigh, i think i figured it out. I tried making a new character instead of editing the bio, and i think i found the reason. When i tried to make it, it said it contained inappropriate words and there for was not allowed. Now i gotta dig through the thing and figure out what word they deem inappropriate and find a work around for it.

I swear if hermaphrodite is restricted in a dam universe made up of more hermaphrodite races then i can count, i will go something something...:mad:

Ouch! hope it's nothing that really impacts your backstory. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    probably genitals and sex and those kinds of words are just in a censor list.
    Shame, I know, but you know some jerks out there will just put swear words in it and it unfortunately has the side-effect of people like yourself with perfectly good, in-context, bio's being left short.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rekkx wrote: »
    probably genitals and sex and those kinds of words are just in a censor list.
    Shame, I know, but you know some jerks out there will just put swear words in it and it unfortunately has the side-effect of people like yourself with perfectly good, in-context, bio's being left short.

Ya thankfully it wasn't too much of a hunt. It's just sad that they have to develop such limited means of filtering content. Oh well, thankfully i can use a little word magic and get it in now. At least it wasn't anything too major i had to change.:D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yea. :)
    I'm pleased I could help!
    happy travels!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh man i give up on my bio! Now the stupid formatting doesn't stay in place once it is entered.:eek: lol
    /facepalm