test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pre-order Exclusives Advice?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2010 in The Academy
I am debating which retailer to purchase my copy of Star Trek Online Collector's Edition from. I've concluded that the only three retailers I can get a physical copy from are Amazon, Best Buy, and GameStop.

The Amazon exclusive is a Borg Bridge Officer. She's a gorgeous liberated Borg and would make a fine addition to any bridge. Straightforward enough.

The Best Buy exclusive is an in-game "pet": a Tribble if you play Federation, a Targ if you play Klingon. I am confused as to what the function of this pet is, if any (this is my first MMORPG, and I'm not certain what pets do in other games such as WoW, they might just run around with your character and look cool for all I know, fill me in!), and as to whether each of your characters can have this pet, or only one (in which case you're have to choose between a Tribble or a Targ and your decision would be final).

The GameStop exclusive is a Constitution class starship with blue phasers and an extra engineering mod slot. Also straightforward, an extra engineering mod slot would have obvious advantages and who wouldn't want a Constitution class starship?

My questions: 1. Which retailer did you choose to pre-order from? 2. What function would you guess the pets have, if any? 3. Do you think pets are one per code (meaning only one of your characters can have one)?

Many thanks!

Please note: I tried posting this thread yesterday, but when I logged on to read responses it seems to have been deleted. If you replied or have already read this, I appreciate your patience and would be grateful if you replied again.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I would pretty much choose the one that you like best. The borg officer sounds nice, but I can't say that it's the end-all-be-all. The tribble or targ are non combat pet, pretty much just eye candy while you run around on bases and ground missions. The constitution class is the TOS enterprise model and I can't say for certain, but I assume it has pretty much the same basic stats as the starter ship (just with blue phasers and the extra engineer console slot). You just want to decide which is coolest to you.

I went with Direct2Drive for my pre-order just because I've used them before and I don't need another box that I would have to find a place to put it in my filled to capacity computer room. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    lol i couldnt decide so i got best buy game stop and d2d
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I got the Borg officer, the tribble still drops off Klingons (got one today) and the ship only lasts 20 hours of play.

The officer is upgradeable and if nothing else is a talking point four years down the line :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I replied to this yesterday, but as you said, everything's been deleted.

Bonus items are per character, not per account. Everyone gets three character slots (the third unlocks later). If I make three characters, all three can claim their own set of bonus items.
    The Amazon exclusive is a Borg Bridge Officer. She's a gorgeous liberated Borg and would make a fine addition to any bridge. Straightforward enough.

In my opinion, Borg Bridge Officer is the best bonus - at least, the one you'll use the longest. The Borg levels up with you. And she has superior Commander-grade skills. Other people need rare drops for those skills, the Borg gets them for free.

This is the only preorder bonus that's good at high level - all the others are low-level stuff that you will outgrow.

The downside of ordering from Amazon - they are reportedly very slow with issuing pre-order codes now. If you order now, you might not get your headstart/preorder code. Though if Amazon doesn't give you a code, you can contact STO customer support - they usually help people in such a situation.
    The Best Buy exclusive is an in-game "pet": a Tribble if you play Federation, a Targ if you play Klingon. I am confused as to what the function of this pet is

The Targ follows you around and looks cool. That's it. The Tribble needs to be equipped as a device. When you use it, your character strokes the Tribble. It purrs. You get a beneficial effect. Most Tribbles give health regeneration, others increase your damage, etc.

You don't need the preorder to get a Tribble; they are reportedly in-game even in live, and they reproduce if fed. It's possible the Best Buy exclusive Tribble might have better powers than the normal Tribbles.

All your Klingon characters can claim a Targ. All your Federation characters can claim a Tribble.

I haven't heard any positive or negative feedback about Best Buy.
    The GameStop exclusive is a Constitution class starship with blue phasers and an extra engineering mod slot. Also straightforward, an extra engineering mod slot would have obvious advantages and who wouldn't want a Constitution class starship?

The GameStop exclusive is the 1960s TOS Constitution. The Movie-era Refit Constitution is available in-game as a normal ship. The TOS Constitution is vastly inferior to the regular refit Connie. The TOS Connie has pretty much the same stats as a normal Federation newbie starter ship, save for the extra slot.

If you progress through the game at a quick pace, it'll last you maybe 10 hours. If you're more leisurely, perhaps 15-20 hours. After which point...you can still use the ship, of course, but better options are available to you.

GameStop is reportedly quite bad at e-mailing headstart pre-order codes, but good at handing them out in person.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    D2D (where I preordered) has a different bonus:
    Personal Shield
    Multi-Spatial Personal Shield. This advanced personal shield system is based on Borg technology, which constantly regenerates itself and the health of its wearer.

The Constitution Class is probably the "coolest" exclusive pre-order item.

Me, I'm mostly looking forward to the TOS uniforms, though. :oldschool:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I went with Steam just because I like it for other games. The chromodynamic armor's stats sound good, but does it actually help in-game? Will a percentage modifier continue to be effective as your character levels up or are there much spiffier items to find? The name is kind of dumb though, color changing armor, like with magic markers or those kids toys that change when you dip them in warm water or something...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My questions: 1. Which retailer did you choose to pre-order from? 2. What function would you guess the pets have, if any? 3. Do you think pets are one per code (meaning only one of your characters can have one)?.

All good advice in the replies so far and here's my view:

1) The Borg Bridge officer seems to be a good choice as they with level with you (and look cool IMHO). Most of the other pre-order bonuses will not be beneficial beyond the time you get your first ship upgrade it seems.

2) Pets in Cryptic's other game (Champions Online) are purely cosmetic but the STO Tribble gave an out of combat health regeneration boost in Beta, and I assume the Targ may do the same for Klingon characters (but no way to tell for sure until we get one). The Del Taco shuttlecraft "pet" gives no bonus as far as I know but will just follow your ship around in space.

3) All pre-order bonuses are available to every character you create but you won't get them until you apply your retail key to your account.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Syt wrote: »
    D2D (where I preordered) has a different bonus:

The Constitution Class is probably the "coolest" exclusive pre-order item.

& unavailable to UK customers.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    gOAT_UK wrote:

Indeed. Though GameStop US does sell the Digital Deluxe Edition for download, and I think there's a French retailer with the Connie.

Not that I'd want to navigate an order website in French, but...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am going with Target for retail purchase on the 2nd, picked up there pre order box with the $5 off coupon a week ago. Have a leftover $25 gift card from Christmas so that gives me $29 off retail price (it was $0.99 for the pre order box to get the coupon in the first place).

The rifle that comes with the Target bonus is already obsolete on my first character but will use it when I start my next one, after the Feb 2nd launch.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So, a question regarding all versions: if one is stupif enough to dish out cash for all of them, could one enter the keycodes and receive all the bonuses on the same account?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yes you can
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Greeen wrote:
    So, a question regarding all versions: if one is stupif enough to dish out cash for all of them, could one enter the keycodes and receive all the bonuses on the same account?

As Aqula said, yeah.

The 30 days of gametime that come with each retail version stack as well, so if you buy two games you get 60 days of gametime.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    gOAT_UK wrote:

I'm in the UK also, and I was disappointed that none of the UK retailers offered the Constitution class.

So I just ordered the CE from Gamestop US. It came to approx. £60 including international shipping, though I can understand why that may not be everyone's cup of tea.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Careful with walmart. I preordered it and the head start codes wont come in until after the game is released. bummer! Defeats the purpose of that.