Is anyone really surprised?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
That there are so many issues during head start? :cool:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Not at all. MMO vets learn to expect problems when a game, expansion pack, or even just a patch goes live.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yep the big moaners (not talking about OP) have probably never played an MMO before or not much.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nope.

Bill Roper

Flagshipped.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Absolutely not.

Anyone who was is either incredibly naive, has never played an MMO during any major release, or about 12 bottles short of a 6-pack.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

HE|| no. Beta was rushed through. This was to be expected.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    LoTekGhost wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

Anyone who was is either incredibly naive, has never played an MMO during any major release, or about 12 bottles short of a 6-pack.

Or never played Hellgate: London.

Editted for the magical time warp that Cryptic seems unable to fix on their boards.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This is my first MMO, and I still knew better than to expect everything to go 100% smoothly. I can't wait to get off work and get to playing tonight. I don't even care if I can't access my borg character right away.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nope.

Bill Roper

Flagshipped.

you know he has nothing to with STO right?

I think Bill may have a restraining order against you.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ive loged into the game several times now and made some nifty characters and flew around shooting stuff.

yet to see an unexpected problem
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's not that I think he's the design director for STO. It's that being a design director for Cryptic at all his contagion has had time to spread.

At least the Marcom Manager from HellGate made it here right?

So should I start saying:

Ivan Sulic.

Flagshipped.

Instead?

I don't think most people would get the reference.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I also haven't had any issues. I did have the Beta client already installed, so that may have given me a good headstart. I'm actually happy i didn't have to uninstall beta to play the live game like I've had to do before.

Overall, it seems to be going fine. The biggest issues are people not knowing how to claim items or input keys. Some posts or FAQs can clear that up.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Cryptic is :)

People keep saying this happens in all MMOs. I have to ask WHY? If you hit your head on the door frame going into your basement, don't you learn to DUCK eventually? So when will MMOs learn to DUCK and plan for launches? Sure there will be minor issues, thats the nature of the game but major issues like under estimating server loads should be NO surprise at all.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wolfiesden wrote:

People keep saying this happens in all MMOs. I have to ask WHY? If you hit your head on the door frame going into your basement, don't you learn to DUCK eventually? So when will MMOs learn to DUCK and plan for launches? Sure there will be minor issues, thats the nature of the game but major issues like under estimating server loads should be NO surprise at all.

Ive yet to encounter a problem other than the cstore going down which is something they never got to test in the beta.

I can log in and play just fine.

Maybe people did something foolish like tried to play the exact hour the servers went up? Always wait a couple hours :p The login server does not need to be able to take that sort of load because it does not need to function anywhere near that capacity under normal situations.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wolfiesden wrote:

At a certain point there is a financial wall that has to be obeyed. The Devs could keep this game in development for another year and spend another 45 million dollars, but at a certain point they have to start getting money in.

They (meaning all MMO teams) have to balance that magic point where the game is a little better than good enough and deal with some of the issues later because at the end of the day they need cash to keep the lights on and the investors off their backs.

Some games launch WAY too early, some way too late. Even WOW had issues at launch and that game was in development for YEARS. The forums on day one for that game were brutal with "can't log in" "How could they underestimate the server pops" and so forth.

There is also the fact that until you change over the software to the live code and start the actual billing cycles for a few hundred thousand people, you simply can't test everything.

Overall, despite some issues that I think can be cleared up, this launch is going decently. People are in the game flying around. A lot of MMOs don't launch for a day or seven after the official launch day due to massive problems.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Its actually going smoother than I expected... the servers haven't been brought down yet or crashed.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wolfiesden wrote:

The game needs at least another six months of dev time to fix problems, add more content and polish things up. But it seems Atari isn't going to give Cryptic another six months to launch. It launches now. Anyone who wants to sit out for another six months or so can come back then and find things running a lot more smoothly.
This discussion has been closed.