test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I am really annoyed....really.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
So let me see if I un derstand things clearly.

Open beta ended early this week. Today was the Headstart launch for the preorder folks.
I made a decision (which is not looking like a good one right now) to buy the Lifetime subscription.

The game was to start at 1:00PM EST and by 1:07PM EST the server crashed. It came back but
then it had login issues. Within 30 minutes, the forum is down and now, the playable Borg is not
working.

They took the C-Store offline to make it so people could play the game, great for people that didn't
spend $240 and wanted to play the Borg. I can either pick another race, play the game and then
look forward to starting all over again when the Borg is unlocked or wait till they fix it meaning, no
Headstart.

I tried to call Cryptic but no one picked up the phone and every extension I tried gave me the same
greeting, the person I tried to reach is unavailable. More like the game is unavailable.

So Cryptic, why don't you shoot me an email when the game will be up and working and I'll try back
then but in the mean time, howabout refunding me for what I paid since services have not been rendered.
You can have that money back when I have the game back, sound fair? It does to me...product for payment
not payment for a promissory note of a product.

This reminds me of a crude joke I heard in college. It goes something like this.

A wife goes to her husband and asks him for a $20 to get some dinner from the butchers shop.
The husband takes a $20 from his wallet and holds it to a mirror, says to his wife "See that reflection
in the mirror, thats your $20 and this one's mine" putting the money back into his wallet.

Later that night the husband comes home to find the table set for a king, beef, lamb and cuts of veal.
He asks where did the money come from to pay for this. The wife replies by going to the same mirror and lifting her dress She asks him if he sees something in the mirror. She tells him the one he sees in the mirror is his and this one, putting her dress back down, is the butchers.

That is what this game has become, a carrot in the mirror.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    USSZenica wrote:
    but in the mean time, howabout refunding me for what I paid since services have not been rendered.
    Uh you paid to play the game, you can play the game, you got what you paid for. If you paid that money specifically to be a borg or whatever, that's just silly.

They dont owe you anything except what you already got. If you didn;t think there would be issues within an hour of launching the game, you are incredibly naive.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Unfortunately you have no ground to stand on. Read the contracts that you have agreed to up to this point. There is nothing in there about guaranteeing you have access to anything. However, there is the agreement that you will pay them $240 for your "lifetime" subscription in addition to the retail cost of the game.

Maybe in the future you should pay more attention to what the butcher is doing with your wife, and less attention to how many $20s you have in your wallet?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gigatronix wrote:
    Uh you paid to play the game, you can play the game, you got what you paid for. If you paid that money specifically to be a borg or whatever, that's just silly.

They dont owe you anything except what you already got. If you didn;t think there would be issues within an hour of launching the game, you are incredibly naive.

No, I expected to use that which was advertised and factored into both their price and my willingness to pay.
    Playing the game is only one metric of that equation.

I also expected the game to work beyond the first 10 minutes....but after the beta experience, this expectation doesn't make me naive, it makes me an idiot.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    To OP - Sshhhhh... people on this forum will think you are just trolling. It's Hitler's Germany, don't talk too loudly. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The_Rabbit wrote:
    Unfortunately you have no ground to stand on. Read the contracts that you have agreed to up to this point. There is nothing in there about guaranteeing you have access to anything. However, there is the agreement that you will pay them $240 for your "lifetime" subscription in addition to the retail cost of the game.

Maybe in the future you should pay more attention to what the butcher is doing with your wife, and less attention to how many $20s you have in your wallet?

LOL!

ok, I wasn't serious about the refund, it was a joke meant to highlight the inadequacy of the current customer/provider relationship between me and Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    USSZenica wrote:
    No, I expected to use that which was advertised and factored into both their price and my willingness to pay.

I also expected the game to work beyond the first 10 minutes....but after the beta experience, this expectation doesn't make me naive, it makes me an idiot.

That's naive. It's equivalent to purching a car from a dealership, and every week going back to the dealership and arguing with them that there's no longer any gas in your car.

"Hey, the car had gas in it when I bought it! It should have gas in it now too!"

The $$ you paid does not guarantee you access to anything, feel free to continue whining and complaining, but as I already stated, you're not "owed" anything.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    USSZenica wrote:

I feel your pain pal. however it has been known for sometime that most of the pre-order bonus' would not be usable in headstart. They are working on the Borg, give it time. If you are so impatient that you got to make demands for a refund, then A) You've never played an MMO at launch before B) Have no understanding of the EULA. C) Got a long frustrating road ahead of you.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gigatronix wrote:

That's TRIBBLE, we paid for the headstart and we paid for the borg character we only have two character slots and don't want to wast are headstart on a character we are not going to play.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The_Rabbit wrote:
    That's naive. It's equivalent to purching a car from a dealership, and every week going back to the dealership and arguing with them that there's no longer any gas in your car.

"Hey, the car had gas in it when I bought it! It should have gas in it now too!"

The $$ you paid does not guarantee you access to anything, feel free to continue whining and complaining, but as I already stated, you're not "owed" anything.

Bad analogy---try again. Since your not playing, you have time to think of one.
    Gigatronix wrote:
    I feel your pain pal. however it has been known for sometime that most of the pre-order bonus' would not be usable in headstart. They are working on the Borg, give it time. If you are so impatient that you got to make demands for a refund, then A) You've never played an MMO at launch before B) Have no understanding of the EULA. C) Got a long frustrating road ahead of you.

The Borg was to be a part of Headstart, as defined by Cryptic. I understood the other bonuses would not be. Yes, this is my first MMO and likely, the last since they all seem like this. As I said before, I was not serious about a refund, merely pointing out that perhaps it would be fair to ask for payment once the product works, not before. I can only think of one thing right now that I would gladly buy as is...

The Chevy Volt.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The real problem was the announcement of the start time. I have never seen a game do that. Usually they say "some time" and then open in up EARLY in the morning so there is not the massive login crush. The rabid-fans will be up all night and will be in within minutes of the time it comes up, followed closely by their friends. The the morning crew come in and before the after school/work people start the rabid fans are into the upper areas and spreading the population out, some will actually be logging out to get some sleep durring peak time to hit the servers overnight the second night.

Cryptic needs to put this in the "Lessons Learned" file DON'T ANNOUNCE THE EXACT START TIME. Stick with afternoon or morning
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The OP will soon discover that life is unkind...consider this your first lesson.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    USSZenica wrote:
    LOL!

ok, I wasn't serious about the refund, it was a joke meant to highlight the inadequacy of the current customer/provider relationship between me and Cryptic.

In the initial hours of the launch of an entirely new game? You seriously have to be joking. :eek:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    USSZenica wrote:
    Yes, this is my first MMO and likely, the last since they all seem like this. As I said before, I was not serious about a refund, merely pointing out that perhaps it would be fair to ask for payment once the product works, not before. I can only think of one thing right now that I would gladly buy as is...

The Chevy Volt.

You really ought to step back a little bit. You'll still have your Borg--maybe not this very second, but you will soon.

Have you ever taken a flight on an airline?

Had a car repaired?

Ordered new cable television installation?

Were any of them late? Did you demand a refund if it was late for that one-off instance? MMOs by their very nature are at least multi-month time and fiscal investments for entertainment on your part. It has to be, or you wouldn't have spent $250 on it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The Borg was to be a part of Headstart, as defined by Cryptic. I understood the other bonuses would not be. Yes, this is my first MMO and likely, the last since they all seem like this. As I said before, I was not serious about a refund, merely pointing out that perhaps it would be fair to ask for payment once the product works, not before. I can only think of one thing right now that I would gladly buy as is...

The Chevy Volt.

Once again, go read your fineprint. The only thing you paid for is the lifetime subscription.
    Lifetime subscription covers your subscription fee for as long as the game is in service.
    The Borg is a perk, and has no legal tie ins to your purchase of the lifetime subscription.
    IV. Usage
    By "Content," we mean the software, communications, images, sounds, and all the material and information perceived or made available from the Cryptic Studios Sites or Services, whether provided by Cryptic Studios or by users of the Services.
    Cryptic Studios and its designees shall have the right, but not the obligation, in their sole discretion to edit, refuse to post, or remove any Content posted in any Cryptic Studios Site or Service. Without limiting the foregoing, Cryptic Studios and its designees shall have the right to remove any Content that is in violation of the provisions hereof or otherwise objectionable.

In short, Cryptic can do whatever they want to any part of the game, and you have absolutely no say over it. They could turn all Klingons into My Little Ponies (Provided they had licencing rights for them) and you can't do anything about it. Along those lines, they can choose to NEVER provide you with access to the Borg, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it, because you already signed the contract that stated so.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    USSZenica wrote:
    Bad analogy---try again. Since your not playing, you have time to think of one.

The Chevy Volt.

Headstart isn't over until Feb 2. As long as you get access to it before headstart ends they will have met their obligations.

Personally I hope you don't get access to your borg captain until 11:55 pm Feb 1st.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    USSZenica wrote:

The first few days may have major hiccups even if it isnt beta anymore, thats an MMO for you.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Zilag wrote:
    You really ought to step back a little bit. You'll still have your Borg--maybe not this very second, but you will soon.

Have you ever taken a flight on an airline? Yes, I log about 40k a year. When United has issues, they rectify it with either miles or discount ticket stubs.

Had a car repaired? I drive an Acura, it doesn't need repair. If it were a toyota that would be a diff story.

Ordered new cable television installation? Yes, so far Comcast is borderline phobic about service.
    In 7 years, they came 2 times to fix it.

Were any of them late? Did you demand a refund if it was late for that one-off instance? MMOs by their very nature are at least multi-month time and fiscal investments for entertainment on your part. It has to be, or you wouldn't have spent $250 on it.

Bottom line, yes I hold merchants/resellers/retailers accountable, to fail to do so would grant them license
    to take liberties with my money.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    USSZenica wrote:
    Bottom line, yes I hold merchants/resellers/retailers accountable, to fail to do so would grant them license
    to take liberties with my money.

The only one taking liberties with your money is you. You may consider it a bait and switch but you signed an electronic contract stating that you agreed to the terms of that contract. The terms of which include provisions for servers being down, content not being availible and all sorts of other things.

In this case it doesn't matter what you thought you were buying.

If you want another of my poor analogies it would be like you walking into a dealership and saying that you want to buy a Volt. The salesman you are working with, says hey come with me, and shows you the paperwork for a car. Without reading the paperwork you sign the contract and hand him the downpayment. You are then shown the new Volkswagon you bought.

You have nobody to blame but yourself. You deluded yourself into thinking you were buying something that you weren't and now that it isn't exactly what you wanted you are dissappointed.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Update:
    coderanger wrote:
    Okay, so we have fixed the problem and it should be available again to those that have it with the following gotchas:
    • You need to restart the game client and log back in to see it. You should no longer have to make the trash character and buy it, it will just be unlocked and ready.
    • If you purchased a lifetime subscription in the last 24 hours your account hasn't been fixed. You can either put in a ticket so we manually fix your account or just wait 24 hours and it will be automatically fixed.

Even though Cryptic didn't have to do anything, they have fixed the borgs. Rejoice.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Flagshipped
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    USSZenica wrote:
    I tried to call Cryptic but no one picked up the phone and every extension I tried gave me the same
    greeting, the person I tried to reach is unavailable. More like the game is unavailable.

Welcome to EVERY game Cryptic has ever made. Their "customer service" is a laughable joke...
    Sorry you wasted your money on a lifetime. I give this game a year, tops, and it will be just like Star Wars Galaxies...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The_Rabbit wrote:
    The only one taking liberties with your money is you. You may consider it a bait and switch but you signed an electronic contract stating that you agreed to the terms of that contract. The terms of which include provisions for servers being down, content not being availible and all sorts of other things.

In this case it doesn't matter what you thought you were buying.

If you want another of my poor analogies it would be like you walking into a dealership and saying that you want to buy a Volt. The salesman you are working with, says hey come with me, and shows you the paperwork for a car. Without reading the paperwork you sign the contract and hand him the downpayment. You are then shown the new Volkswagon you bought.

You have nobody to blame but yourself. You deluded yourself into thinking you were buying something that you weren't and now that it isn't exactly what you wanted you are dissappointed.

That analogy is closer...

Well, I am not a lawyer but I know that legal precedent is set everyday in our courtrooms. Case law
    is often used to be the turning point in a trial. I had a home warranty many years ago with American Home Shield. They sent a shady contractor and he did a botched job. AHS told me to go TRIBBLE. I sued, then took part of a class action suit. I won my suit, well rather they settled. I also collected in the class action. That is how companies learn that the consumer is not a burden but an ally.

Unfortunately just like people often think of worst case scenarios as "not gonna happen to me", so do
    many companies think that when they hear the "we'll sue" threat but every now and again, they do get sued.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The_Rabbit wrote:
    Update:

Even though Cryptic didn't have to do anything, they have fixed the borgs. Rejoice.

Thanks, I'll try this.

EDIT:

Nope, didn't work.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wow..
    Patience much?

Welcome to the world of online gaming.

Its impossible for cryptic to make 100% of the games users happy 100% of the time. Its also impossible for them to predict the future... Unexpected things happen. That's life..

Or maybe you're right, and they're just out to block you (personally) at every pass, and make your experience horrible.

It seems that there are lots of other treads about users who have gotten their borg... What makes you different?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The_Rabbit wrote:
    You may consider it a bait and switch but you signed an electronic contract stating that you agreed to the terms of that contract. The terms of which include provisions for servers being down, content not being availible and all sorts of other things.

This is the key provision, right there.

EULAs, distasteful as they may be if you read them, are there for a reason. Did you ever buy a piece of software? Guess what: you didn't. You paid a one-time lease fee with a very firm removal of just about every last one of your rights related to that software... should the software vendor choose to make it so. This is (for better or worse) a standard of the computing world, not limited to games, and has been so for years and years.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Zilag wrote:
    This is the key provision, right there.

EULAs, distasteful as they may be if you read them, are there for a reason. Did you ever buy a piece of software? Guess what: you didn't. You paid a one-time lease fee with a very firm removal of just about every last one of your rights related to that software... should the software vendor choose to make it so. This is (for better or worse) a standard of the computing world, not limited to games, and has been so for years and years.

Yes, I was aware of that terminology in some of the more recent Microsoft EULA statements.
    It has not always been this way, Microsoft, for example, used to permit users to operate software
    on more than one system provided both were not used concurrently. This provision is now longer allowed.

I see what you and others have been saying...but there is power in numbers and software companies are nothing without people to buy it. If the general public took a stance or enough people sued them over these EULA practices then change would follow.

If this was not done, we would still have other arcane policies in this country like segregation or keeping women from their right to vote.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    USSZenica wrote:
    If the general public took a stance or enough people sued them over these EULA practices then change would follow.

If this was not done, we would still have other arcane policies in this country like segregation or keeping women from their right to vote.

Good grief. Drama Queen much?

It's a damned game, it's a couple of hours since it started.

Now your going all US "sue the lot of them" and comparing it to segragation and women not being able to vote.

Get a grip.

PLEASE try and sue them. Waste your time and money and get laughed out of court.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, you're talking to someone in who IRL is pretty much as far liberal as someone can go, so you're preaching to the choir.

That said, I'm also a realist, and going all William Wallace on the "Star Trek Online forums" isn't exactly the best use of anyone's time.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So, the server has been stable since we opened them. We had some account server issues because it got flooded in the launch land rush. The Borg were causing some server issues. We fixed them. You can play the Borg now. Locking this because it's moot now, and that joke wasn't very funny.
This discussion has been closed.