test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Steam download - 10 GB

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hy,

Steam is downloading 10 GB "update" after i was already playing. Could you tell me why?

Second Question:
How could i prefend Steam doing that again?

Imbuse
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I'd appreciate knowing why it's doing this as well. :p
    edited January 2010
    AFAIK steam is having to re-install the whole game again. :mad:
    edited January 2010
    yep ... i have same ... so I can play in about 3 hour i think .... if the server is online again *haha*

and then i want my borg and my trill ... *grml*
    edited January 2010
    Ouch...I got rid of my QoS on my router to speed it up, but Steam caps me at 1.3 MBps this sucks! Considering I was already playing :(
    edited January 2010
    same here, steam froze, I restarted and now I have to re-download the whole game again, thanks.... hell of a head start....
    edited January 2010
    this ****es me off,:mad:
    1# I have a limited bandwidth, I had to increase the download rate i.e. pay more to my ISP today to get it down...
    2# I thought I would be able to log in today. since I made sure to log in yesterday and have the game up to date, I would have accepted a patch update.
    BUT NOT THE WHOLE FREACKING GAME!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    edited January 2010
    It's a problem with steam, there is a big thread about it on the steam forum. Basically, if you have the client through steam, launch the exe directly, do not launch it through steam.
    edited January 2010
    +1 all the other other comments.

Hell of a headstart!
    edited January 2010
    I suspect because the first copy was labeled "beta" by steam, and now they are switching us to the 'actual' game, even though in reality, they are one in the same. Sadly a pitfall of Cryptic not using Steam's update system, steam knows nothing about the game's update status.

Grin and bear it. :(
    edited January 2010
    The_Rabbit wrote:
    It's a problem with steam, there is a big thread about it on the steam forum. Basically, if you have the client through steam, launch the exe directly, do not launch it through steam.

I would if I could find the damn thing!
    edited January 2010
    elephunk wrote: »
    this ****es me off,:mad:
    1# I have a limited bandwidth, I had to increase the download rate i.e. pay more to my ISP today to get it down...
    2# I thought I would be able to log in today. since I made sure to log in yesterday and have the game up to date, I would have accepted a patch update.
    BUT NOT THE WHOLE FREACKING GAME!!!:mad::mad

Same here mate, i had to buy another ****ing 20 gig cap block and half of that is gonna be chewed up by this, $25 NZD for 20 gig.... and i also ran my client etc yesterday to make sure it was all updated, good old Steam, there such a bunch of ****ers lol, and i bet you this was Steams idea...

Thanks Steam, you just cost me like 10 bucks too download the client, my cap only had 400 meg left this morning :(
    edited January 2010
    Definitely going to download the external client later (i'm about 40 percent in my steam 'update'). Annoying that it decided that it needs to download the whole damn thing again. Guess it didn't remember I already did that when I used steam-stobeta for all those weeks.
    edited January 2010
    is anyone playing from steam now what does the app come under TRIBBLE , i pre-ordered it today and started downloading about half a hour before the game went up for early start ,

my app is still downloading as the star trek online - beta :confused:
    edited January 2010
    If Steam started downloading again, it's too late. Steam automatically deletes the "old" files before it starts to download the new one. If Steam hasn't screwed your download up yet you can go into your steam folder and launch the exe directly to bypass Steam.
    edited January 2010
    you don't need to update steam in fact steam is actually undoing the patches that have been applied by cryptic

if you go into steam folder in the start trek online folder then go past the to the live folder you can start the game outside of steam and save yourself 10GB download
    edited January 2010
    Mine's doing it too, but it's not Cryptics fault steam ****ed up.
    edited January 2010
    Bloodrite2 wrote: »

yeah its a steam fail

if you didn't backup the game your screwed since steam will delete your files before downloading the old ones XD
    edited January 2010
    Bloodrite2 wrote: »

When doesn't Steam **** up... :(
    edited January 2010
    Im afraid to launch after the download, would it force me to download this again? I guess only time will tell :/
    edited January 2010
    tw1st wrote: »
    Im afraid to launch after the download, would it force me to download this again? I guess only time will tell :/

Copy and paste the STO client to somewhere else just in-case, then if it starts re-downloading again you still have a client, or you could not and if it starts downloading again just go bomb the Steam building.
    edited January 2010
    I am in the same boat peeps. It sucks but what can you do?
    edited January 2010
    dale0404 wrote: »
    I am in the same boat peeps. It sucks but what can you do?

The most annoying thing is i cant even moan on the Steam Forum because i didn't have an account, and now im signed up i have to wait for some **** wit to enable my posting abilities or some TRIBBLE, weird :p
    edited January 2010
    Zeko wrote: »
    Copy and paste the STO client to somewhere else just in-case, then if it starts re-downloading again you still have a client, or you could not and if it starts downloading again just go bomb the Steam building.

sounds like a plan.
    edited January 2010
    this happened to me too...so annoying i was play fine an hour ago took a break for my Tea....err dinner and came back its downloading it again :(
This discussion has been closed.