test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

first one on the server

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
ok like many here, we're sitting waiting to jump right on - who here want's a special title or something if they get to be the very first one on?

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    WildmouseX wrote: »
    ok like many here, we're sitting waiting to jump right on - who here want's a special title or something if they get to be the very first one on?

I just want to get the name I want. :)
    edited January 2010
    you mean like congrats for being first? it should be said in leonard nimoys voice
    edited January 2010
    drakeborn wrote: »
    Since names aren't unique, that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh more than one person can have the same name?
    edited January 2010

edited January 2010
    You might expect queues.

And how long still? Half hour now?
    edited January 2010
    drakeborn wrote: »

That makes me think... 2 months from now... we enter Sol and there are 57 U.S.S. Enterprises captained by Picard !!!!:eek:
    edited January 2010
    yup only your account name is unique. other people can have the same character name as you.
    edited January 2010

Names in STO are not unique save for what comes after the @ symbol. ;)

So, everyone will be able to make a Sancta, only the rest of it will be different like Sancta@Bob or Sancta@Bobby - however the same person cannot have more than one of any one name on a single account. This also applies to ship names. I'm not sure about Fleet names however.

Just don't want you to think otherwise and then find someone with the same name as you and be like WHAT!? :cool:
    edited January 2010
    And am pretty sure names like kirk enterprise etc will be locked out and we can not use any of them ?
    but names should be uniq.
    edited January 2010
    Xariann wrote: »
    You might expect queues.

And how long still? Half hour now?

that's only 1,800 seconds if you wanna make time go by fast
    edited January 2010
    I just hope noone steals any fleet names...that would just be mean ;)
    edited January 2010
    That makes me think... 2 months from now... we enter Sol and there are 57 U.S.S. Enterprises captained by Picard !!!!:eek:

No because "Enterprise" is protected. You either cant pick it or will be forced to change it. And frankly who'd want to look like that big of an idiot anyway?
    edited January 2010
    Well just imagine:

1 of 9 Picard
    2 of 9 Picard

When we get to 7 of 9 will be laughing :P
    edited January 2010
    Names in STO are not unique save for what comes after the @ symbol. ;)

So, everyone will be able to make a Sancta, only the rest of it will be different like Sancta@Bob or Sancta@Bobby

Just don't want you to think otherwise and then find someone with the same name as you and be like WHAT!? :cool:

Ok Ifeel stupid but I am consued. Why would someone have an @ in their name.
    Sancta@Chris or just Sancta or...
    edited January 2010

Name after the @ is your forum and global handle that is used in all cryptic games ie yours would be randomname@SanctaBellator
    edited January 2010

Actually I asked this same question, but the forum got wiped.

Basically the part after the @ is your forum name. So you could have 3 toons, called Joe, Bill and Anne, and they will all ahve Joe@yourforumname, Bill@yourforumname, etc.
    edited January 2010
    Thats how chat figures out who's who.
    Captain'sName@PlayerAcount
    edited January 2010

Oh no, please do not! That was not my intent and I will be honest, I didn't know this either up until several days ago. :)

The @name is your unique identifier in the game. For example, mine is @Captain Zebular so every character I make will end in @Captain Zebular - this is to allow everyone to have the name they wish for their characters and still give a sense of security to know that you cannot be easily fooled by a player jumping characters for like scamming and abuse, and the like.

It also allows your friends to add @name to their list and be able to communicate with you no matter what character you are on. So yes, choose your friends list wisely.
    edited January 2010

The @name is your handle. Only you have it and no one else. It is typically your forum posting name. Any character you create on the startrek server becomes character@forumhandle (in which forumhandle does not change and annot be changed my the player)
    edited January 2010
    KabaalGen wrote:
    Name after the @ is your forum and global handle that is used in all cryptic games ie yours would be randomname@SanctaBellator

Ok so when I get in game there could theoretically be 100 Sancta's (which is not the name I want). I am not a MMORPG newb but the naming thing seems different.
    I am getting excited now.
    edited January 2010
    Goons101 wrote:
    my name was gonna be Cannabis but now that everyone can have that is a buzzkill

Dude, eets okays mon! :cool:
    edited January 2010
    my name was gonna be Cannabis but now that everyone can have that is a buzzkill
    edited January 2010
    Oh no, please do not! That was not my intent and I will be honest, I didn't know this either up until several days ago. :)

The @name is your unique identifier in the game. For example, mine is @Captain Zebular so every character I make will end in @Captain Zebular - this is to allow everyone to have the name they wish for their characters and still give a sense of security to know that you cannot be easily fooled by a player jumping characters for like scamming and abuse, and the like.

Oh ok, thanks. I think I get it now. Not crazy about having an @ after my name but lets get this thing going. boo yah.
    edited January 2010
    Oh ok, thanks. I think I get it now. Not crazy about having an @ after my name but lets get this thing going. boo yah.

No worries on that, you can choose to hide or display player's @names - just right click on the top chat bar (with the tabs) then go to the Options Tab there-in and check or uncheck the part to display player handles. This will hide or show other player's handles. Anyone set to show handles will still see your's and everyone elses.
    edited January 2010

well since you name will be charname@accountname it doesn't matter if you get a name first. We can both me Jim Kirk if we wanted..well if that name isn't locked out for other reasons.
This discussion has been closed.