What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Path to 2409: 2386

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I'm thrilled to see the Enterprise-E back in action with Data in command -- as well as the simmering conflict between the Gorn and the Klingons. I do wonder what will become of our friends the Romulans, however...
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That was a long one and it was great. Don't know about the whole Cardassian part though. Voluntarily giving up their military? Not sure I can buy that. Yea looks like they will go Fed but if it were me I wouldn't give up my defensive forces. Not until I was in the Federation.

What defensive forces? They probably have hardly any officers left... hardly any serviceable starships left. They are probably ripe for the picking.

I'm an avid Cardassian fan and I have to say that this is probably the best choice for them at least until they can stand on their own two feet. It's all about biding time.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kick butt awesome!! :D

I enjoyed this update and found it interesting that Rom popped up too.

Some interesting points:
    Fed and Cardassian alliance? I sure didn't see that one coming.

Odo popping up was cool

Taris I find interesting. Now I haven't read the comic books yet, Taris was a Romulan Subcommander who attacked the Enterprise-D. That is according to Memory Alpha (Link: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Taris)

My guess is that she is up to something due to the line of her keeping a low profile.

Overall an awesome update! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I get more excited for the game with each subsequent timeline update, and the direction that the storyline is taking never ceases to amaze me with the different twists that I never would have imagined. I definitely cannot wait to actually be a part of the universe described in these timeline updates!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Simply amazing. Great job whoever wrote this one. :p
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Great, they mention the Romulan Mining Guild, their problem with Remans, Decalithium and Data as captain of the Enterprise, glad to see that they keep in contact with Bad Robot.:D So... will the next Path To 2409 update have all the info from the Countdown comics? I hope it does.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    On Stardate 63976.74, the Cardassians sign a new treaty, in which they agree not to field a military or wage war. In exchange, the Federation agrees to provide aid to rebuild Cardassian cities and protection in the event of an invasion of Cardassian space.

Aw man, the Cardies got Japanese'd.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Another awesome update!

Those silly silly Rommies are still having a go at each other hey? lol.
    I never thought I`d see the day the Cardassians needing federation protection but it is nice to see them starting to smooth things over and reconcile with the Bajorans.

Always nice to hear about whats going on with Rom. lol.
    He`s making a great Grand Nagus if you ask me. ;)
    I`m so glad that Data is BACK!!! Its great to see that he`s back up and running. Captaining the Enterprise and everything.

So who wrote this one up Awen?
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Another great update, a long one too! Can't wait for more.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    JPJappic wrote: »
    What defensive forces? They probably have hardly any officers left... hardly any serviceable starships left. They are probably ripe for the picking.

I'm an avid Cardassian fan and I have to say that this is probably the best choice for them at least until they can stand on their own two feet. It's all about biding time.

I've always felt that having a race just join the Federation leads to that race's dilution, the exact opposite of how you expressed it.

It seem to me that the damage to Cardassia during the Dominion War is always greatly over exaggerated. For example, people always say that the Cardassian race was almost wiped out by the Dominion when, in fact, "merely" 800 million were killed on Cardassia Prime. Also, there were lots of Cardassian ships and officers that defected to the Alpha Quadrant forces during the final battle.

Now, what it seems to me that Cryptic is doing is they are drawing parallels between Imperial Japan and the Cardassian Union as ruled by the Central Command. Both were highly militaristic societies, basically ruled by their militaries, both lost their respective wars, both had to accept the dissolution of their militaries and defence from those who defeated them.

This doesn't mean the Cardassians would become part of the Federation, but close allies who depend on the Federation for defence, much like Japan now is to the United States.

But, I hope the Cardassian Union rises again, and the Cardassians do get their military back. Maybe this can be caused by the Federation asking the Cardassians to commit men and ships to a war with the Klingons, or some other power, much the same way Japan is getting to be more militaristic again because of American pressure for them to help out in Iraq.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nice to see the whole Data/B4 thing finally cleared up. :)

I guess the entire conflict with the Romulans is making more sense now as well. As is the apparent Gorn integration into the Klingon Empire.

The future is looking good. :cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Great update. Glad to see the enterprise finally finished and data in command of it. Very good choice as captain of the enterprise could not ask for a better successor of picard.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    abergy32 wrote: »
    Too bad about the uniforms though I really liked those gray uniforms.

I hear ya, those are my favorite uniforms. They should remain through to 2409 :)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    These "Path to ..." updates are probably my favorite aspect of the run-up to the game's launch.

Not everything is precisely as I would've had it, but this doesn't matter in the least. The stories are wide-ranging, interesting, and always manage to surprise.

This all bodes very well for the future of Star Trek Online.

Thanks all,

KOS
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I do not accept this, for the Cardassians to ally with a faction which includes the Bajorans. Not in 2386, probably not even 406. The hatred is too deep and the fact of having Federation and those Bajorans on our planets occupying everything and dictating how we live....I see a military takeover before this timeline is over. The Cardassians will not allow a Federation puppet government to survive.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    These updates are some of the best "lore" writing I have ever seen for any game.

Period, full stop.

In the latest batch, I found several items in particular that made me grin:
    In retaliation for the death of Tal’aura, the Tal Shiar begins a campaign of assaults on the noble houses, arresting dozens of nobles and seizing their assets. Sela pushes back against the persecution of some of her major supporters, and sways the Senate to drastically cut funding to the Tal Shiar.
    On Stardate 63446.41, an explosion destroys Rehaek’s home on the outskirts of Ki Baratan.
    Two hours after the explosion, Tal Shiar forces storm Sela’s townhouse in Ki Baratan and take her and her personal guard into custody for the murder of Rehaek. In a secret trial held days later, Sela is sentenced to death for the crime. At the last minute, Donatra intervenes. She argues that the evidence is not overwhelming, and pressures Chulan to allow Sela and her supporters to accept permanent exile instead of death.

Oh, my. It is unwise to annoy the Tal Shiar.

Of course, Sela, the Tal Shiar, and Romulans in general being as sneaky as they are, I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing (including the murder of Rehaek's family and possibly Rehaek himself) had been cooked up jointly by the Tal Shiar and Sela working together. Perhaps this is merely a pretext for thinning out the noble houses (and acquiring their considerable assets) to smooth the way for Sela to supplant Donatra.

Or perhaps matters are exactly as they seem.

With the Romulans. And Sela.

Riiiiiiiight.
    On Stardate 63894.06, the refit of the Enterprise-E is completed and the ship, helmed by Captain Data, leaves the Utopia Planitia shipyards.

:eek: x 3:

1. "Captain" Data? He's considered now to have sufficiently human judgement to be granted the burden of command that goes with that rank?

2. "Refit" of the Sovereign-class flagship of Starfleet? To what? a diplomatic barge?

3. And "Captain" Data was assigned command of this ship?
    Another update by Starfleet is its uniforms. Starfleet completes a redesign of the uniform code, and by the end of the year all of its officers are wearing the new designs.

Another decade, another uniform redesign. Apparently this is what Starfleet spends Federation money on when it's convinced that peace has broken out permanently....

(Nicely done, Kestrel! :D)
    In addition to working to curb the rising hostilities between the Klingons and the Gorn, Federation diplomats are hard at work crafting a new pact between the Federation and the Cardassians. On Stardate 63976.74, the Cardassians sign a new treaty, in which they agree not to field a military or wage war. In exchange, the Federation agrees to provide aid to rebuild Cardassian cities and protection in the event of an invasion of Cardassian space. In response to the landmark agreement, the Bajoran coalition drops its request to prosecute Cardassians for war crimes. Many among the Bajorans and Cardassians hope that someday relations between them will be normalized.

So... Treaty of Versailles, then?

We know how well that turned out when a charismatic figure came along, promising to restore the rightful powers and possessions wrongfully taken from them.

That could never happen on Cardassia Prime, could it...?

All in all, another fantastic "Path" update.

Great stuff!

--Flatfingers
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Great, they mention the Romulan Mining Guild, their problem with Remans, Decalithium and Data as captain of the Enterprise, glad to see that they keep in contact with Bad Robot.:D So... will the next Path To 2409 update have all the info from the Countdown comics? I hope it does.

I really hope they don't intend to inflict the nonsense of the comics and movie on us.

If nothing else I'd think the would be Romulan players would be sad to find out they don't exist due to the Superultramegagigadoom Nova of death and ultra doom from the comics. :p :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The_Sisko wrote: »
    Aw man, the Cardies got Japanese'd.

My thought to when i read that:)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    This is the best path to update yet. Like how we get information on all the players in the alpha quadrant in this one even the Dominion.

We are starting to see more of the conflict between the Gorn and Klingons though I wonder when we get a picture of an adult Gorn?

Roms the greatest Ferengi ever, taxing protestors to pay for what they are protesting against, pure genius.:D
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    very interresting. Romulans as usual killing themselves ... :rolleyes: thats no big news there lol elections are so time intense ...

Best part was bout the Ferengi this time. Since when is Rom Grand Nagus :confused: must have totaly missed this in DS9. I remember Roms son Nog beeing a captain in DS9 "the Visitor". Probably first Ferengi star fleet captain, but with alternate time line thing. Rom will do just fine.

Data is back. I wont ask questions on that one. hated it when he died. I thought "What regiseur let him die? I dont like him" :D just to show his mortality ...

Gorns are a good 2 meters tall and strong too. An honorfull battle. Martok wont listen to Worf no way!

edit:

Breens are mising?
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Good stuff, thanks....

For those concerned about the return of Data and his ascendancy to Capt. the Enterprise... you can't blame Cryptic for that. From my understanding of the Countdown comics (I've not gotten my hands on them) this is a "canon" thing.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Varrangian wrote: »
    Good stuff, thanks....

For those concerned about the return of Data and his ascendancy to Capt. the Enterprise... you can't blame Cryptic for that. From my understanding of the Countdown comics (I've not gotten my hands on them) this is a "canon" thing.

It's my understanding that the comics are only 'canon' relative to the movie. So it would appear that STO is set in the alternate universe of the new film. Sadly.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    nagash303 wrote: »
    very interresting. Romulans as usual killing themselves ... :rolleyes: thats no big news there lol elections are so time intense ...

Best part was bout the Ferengi this time. Since when is Rom Grand Nagus :confused: must have totaly missed this in DS9. I remember Roms son Nog beeing a captain in DS9 "the Visitor". Probably first Ferengi star fleet captain, but with alternate time line thing. Rom will do just fine.

Data is back. I wont ask questions on that one. hated it when he died. I thought "What regiseur let him die? I dont like him" :D just to show his mortality ...

Gorns are a good 2 meters tall and strong too. An honorfull battle. Martok wont listen to Worf no way!

edit:

Breens are mising?

Yea, you did totally miss it. Rom was made Grand Nagus towards the end of DS9.

And Data was killed off because Brent Spiner made that decision so I guess you hate Data.

Furthermore, Data was resurrected in 2385, and it's following the canon already established for te new movie.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    lokan wrote: »
    It's my understanding that the comics are only 'canon' relative to the movie. So it would appear that STO is set in the alternate universe of the new film. Sadly.

That is not how I understand it. You see the Movie involves time travel, but the alternate timeline would only occur when Nero travels back. Anything happening in the time of Picard and them is still the original timeline and "canon".
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    lokan wrote: »

You would be wrong. Flat out. Since the comics take place in 2387, also since you've never seen the movie, I find it hard for you to make any sound judgment about said movie before having actually seen it. STO is following the canon timeline but STO would never, ever be canon to begin with.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Great read........would really like to see what the "upgraded" Enterprise-E would look like. See if it looks like the NX-91001 or not.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Great read........would really like to see what the "upgraded" Enterprise-E would look like. See if it looks like the NX-91001 or not.

Go look at the Star Trek: Countdown prequel comic for the upcoming new movie. That should tell you.

Found a pic here. Enterprise looks the same, though Data appears to be wearing the STO uniform which would be sound ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lovin it.. LOVIN IT!! Keep pushing folks..
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Silverspar wrote: »
    Go look at the Star Trek: Countdown prequel comic for the upcoming new movie. That should tell you.

Found a pic here. Enterprise looks the same, though Data appears to be wearing the STO uniform which would be sound ;)

Thank you sir, much appreciated!

Seen the ship and a place I can buy the electronic version of the comics. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    great update gorn and klingon stuff alway's a + hope to see more about what is happening with odo next few stories