test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Path to 2409: 2383 (December 18, 2008)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    some really great stuff and the last bit sounds good also hope the doctor wins his rights
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm guessing that when all out aggressive action breaks out between the Federation and the Klingons the empire will be lead by a new Chancellor of the Klingon High Council? I can't believe that Martok would go to war with Starfleet, it just doesn't quite fit his personality. This leaves only two other options, he is either killed and replaced by someone else or he and Worf (assuming he is still the Federation ambassador) have to flee after an internal conflict within the High Council. I'm hoping it's the latter myself.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    wow :D i cannot wait to explore this new world your creating heh

hope to hear something relating to B4 soon *hint hint* :D
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Amazing to read that all we know is falling to pieces!

Great story line thank you! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    coming together nicely.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Only 26 more years to go! I cannot wait.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Keep them comming!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    r2data wrote: »
    Species 8472, live in fluidic space and with the nano-torpedoes Janeway developed, would be hesitant to invade the Alpha Quadrant. They were never that aggressive to begin with, only attacking when provoked by the Borg. The Dominion surrendered to the Federation although much of their military might was retained. I wouldn't think the Federation would look too kindly on them sending many ships through the wormhole. In any case, I always thought it was the Cardassians egging them on that led the Dominion to invade.

QUOTE]

It's mentioned in the first meeting between Voyager and species 8472 that they had pretty much "sterilized" fluidic space and I get the feeling they were fairly xenophobic. the Borg opened the way for them to come into non-fluidic space and they followed to eliminate all threats to them. It's possible they might decide to return to finish what they started or they may be satisfied where they are.

Now the Dominion is very similar to species 8472.... they expand and conquer to eliminate any that might eventually oppose them. the Founders despised solids and sought to prevent being oppressed by them by attacking first. It seems like Cardassia was more a stalking horse for the Dominions plans in the Alpha quadrant. Look at all the changelings that infiltrated various Gov'ts and organizations to formulate disscord and even conflict among the Alpha quadrant powers and their own people
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Im loving these updates! Nice to see they are coming every 2 weeks now, hope they keep them coming out this quickly.

It seem like some of the speicies will be split so you can play as them whichever faction you choose.

However, I would like to see the Romulans and Cardassians side with the Federation.

looking forward to hearning more about Picard and Seven of Nine working against the Borg.

I hope these updates releate to the new movie and Countdown comic.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Another interesting read, and overall the storyline is intriguing and compelling. I can’t wait for each new installment. :) It’s especially interesting to read the developing storyline between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.

Initially, I wasn’t too happy with the decision to make the Klingons and Starfleet at odds as opposing factions, but then I started to think I should give it a chance and wait to see how Cryptic handles it. So far it’s intriguing.

It was cool to see the use of the tlhIngan Hol spelling of the Klingon homeworld, spelling it as Qo'noS instead of Kronos. Names of individuals were still in “Federation Standard” forms but even a single use of a tlhIngan Hol spelling was very cool. :)

Qapla' to Martok!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yes good points all this.. Worf is vulnerable to the propaganda as an federation leaning personage..its would be difficult for him to remain neutral and he would support Martoks efforts in exileif needed.
    The Dominion would redirect without the Founders pushing them.
    The Borg would be the Borg. When faced with resistance they attempt ways around the resistance through acquiring tools to defeat the blockage.
    Bajor would seek more reparations from Cardassia then their economy could support ala the Allies after WW I..
    Klingon remilitarization looks for independent destiny from federation dependence..
    Romanian pride and past xenophobic tendency and collapse of central government ability to regulate affairs force more regional Royalist to set up semi autonomy and separate diplomatic survival deals weakening the empire further. as more truths get out the empire can no longer spin the rebellion as defeats mount chaos ensues creating opportunities for freebooters and covert federation expansion,, or a Finlandization or areas by they and Klingon forces.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    A real joy to see another one of these so soon! Thanks, Kestrel!

And the Klingons got a bigger piece of the story this time, so I expect there will be a little less grumbling and bat'leth sharpening among the head-ridge fans this time out. ;)

The Cardassians -- this is definitely interesting to me. Given that the Star Trek Online galaxy is set to divide along Federation/Klingon factional lines, I continue to wonder where the post-war Cardassians will fall.

Personally, I think they would, for all their strong differences, do better among the consciously-accomodating Federation than among the follow-orders-or-die Klingons. Two races known for arrogance and intractability might make for too fragile an alliance. But I suspect that's just my own opinion ...

The Romulans? As ever, I expect they will end up on only one side -- their own. First expansion pack for the game, to be certain.

Anyway, thanks again for the look. It's all well done and great fun, and I look forward to more.

KOS
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Really enjoyed reading the latest installment to the timeline.
    Keep up the good work guys.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thumbs WAY up!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    In legal matters, Rear Admiral James Bennett of the Starfleet Judge Advocate General’s office rules that the “Data Decision,” referenced in The Doctor’s legal arguments to keep the mobile emitter, is too narrow to be used in this case. Bennett rules that the precedent can only be applied to prove that The Doctor is not the property of Starfleet, and not to decide whether or not he is a sentient being. The Doctor’s counsel appeals the decision, and analysts predict that the case will continue for some time.

The Soong Foundation, a group affiliated with the Daystrom Institute and dedicated to promoting the rights of artificial life forms, announces that it is beginning research to create a mobile holographic emitter of its own design, with the hopes that the technology can be adapted for civilian use.

To me, this is a cool way to allow Holographic player characters, with the stipulation that the Soong Foundation's version of the mobile holographic emitter won't be as good as the 31st Century one, thereby bringing game balance to the characters without being 'heavy-handed' about it.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Some thoughts....

1. Thanks for the update! It's obviously a useful marketing tool, but clearly it's also fun for the writer and for us as readers.

2. As others have said, the quality of the writing here is excellent. The key pieces of the whole arc from 2380 to 2409 must already have been defined; these "Path" entries are just filling in the gaps. But that still calls for imagination and skill. It's very well done.

3. This last is going to sound like a criticism, but it's not intended in a negative way.

It's just this: I happen to enjoy the "grand sweep" style of history writing. (Seriously; Carroll Quigley's The Evolution of Civilizations is one of the three greatest books I've ever read... and I've read a lot of books.)

But the thing that occurs to me is that this isn't how history progresses in Star Trek. Because Star Trek was episodic TV and several movies that featured a few specific characters, those characters wound up saving the Federation (or otherwise significantly impacting the course of history in our part of the Milky Way Galaxy) a remarkable number of times. Individuals in Star Trek have the power to make a real difference. That's one of the things that defines Star Trek, that gives it its unique value as an entertainment property.

What I find curious is that there's very little evidence of this "great person" form of history happening in the various Path entries. Instead, the reading we're getting here seems focused more on often-nameless social forces contending like waves pushing and pulling at the sand on a beach -- they'll change the shape of the coastline eventually, but there's not much drama in the process.

To summarize:
    Tal'aura, Tomalak and Donatra appear to have a stalemate in Romulan space. That may change, but likely only as a fleet- or society-wide shift in the balance of power there.

Spock is back with the Unificationists, but apparently not accomplishing much after the Federation Council's refusal to act. (The refusal by Councilor T'Los in 2382 to support Unification might ultimately prove to be a fateful decision, but a failure to act, while perhaps defensible within the storyline, is definitely not dramatic in the style of Star Trek's usual protagonists.)

Martok is hanging on to his position, but we can be pretty confident that he and those others who favor a d
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Good to see the Empire starting to split with the Federation.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Once again great job :)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Can't wait till the next year!!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This shows the kind of political/ cultural posturing that would realistically lead to a breakdown between the Klingon Empire and The Federation brilliantly; and it does it without making one side more the problem than the other. They could have easily just made it two ship captains got on each other’s nerves, and ‘pew pew pew’ there’s a war. That could even be what ends up being the final spark that sets off the powder ked but Cryptic has actually identified which understandable political insult lead to diplomats being recalled. They have diplomats leaving the grounds and internal pressure for escalation spilling out in to the public as well as disputes over the territories of a third party that one side is trying to bolster relations with. All it takes now is a mutually felt crisis followed by one overt act by either side and war is basically inevitable; even if it ends up being a cold war fought in border skirmishes rather than an all out battle on all fronts. It all shows a real insight which is so often missing genre storytelling and a real respect for the intelligence of the readers.

I also love the introduction of the Soong foundation. It stands to reason any number of groups would try to develop a version of the emitter seeing as it has beneficial applications but isn’t readily available because of the unusual circumstances of how it came to be. Also having a contemporary organization developing it not only sidesteps the legal situation with the doctor allowing it to play out at its own responsible pace but also the problems with it being future technology. Now it’s just a future idea that people see the potential for. The Ferengi could even figure the device out first and charge for access to it. It’s not as if anyone holds any form of patent on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    A great think tank based a brilliant engram attempt to speed up ships operations gone bad. after Constitution Class Cruiser systems innovated how could the Doctor top that.. He put his own brain cells on the line..
    The Soong experience in artificial life gives it an ideal philosophic vantage to enter an opinion or brief for the court.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Awsome =)Thx this write =)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Excellent!

I'm loving the background that Cryptic is laying for the upcoming game. I am excited to play and am already starting to get the feeling of being immersed in the lore.

What's really great is that I have gone from being dead set on playing the Federation, to now feeling really engrossed in the Klingon side of the story and wanting to play as one.

Kudos to the writers at Cryptic! This will definately be a game where I don't just skim through the dialog.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    sorry but my english is not so good.
    when admiral taris defect means he do desertion in favor of donatra?
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    tab wrote: »
    sorry but my english is not so good.
    when admiral taris defect means he do desertion in favor of donatra?

That is the exact meaning.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    A good read, thats for sure!

The Federation and the Empire are slowly splitting apart, and the Romulans are bgeing groomed as a primary enemy for both factions. The Cardassians, on the other hand, look like they are heading for civil war that will result in one of several possibilitiues:

1) the Klingons come in and claim the Cardassian worlds as part of the empire, resulting in a declaration of war by the Federation after negotiations fail. The Cardassians form up a resistance group, which of course makes for plenty of possible storylines. The Klingons need to fight them, the Feds need to help them.

2) Cardassia is reclaimed by the Oralians, making them a 'wild card' in the quadrant -- probably opposing both factions.

3) The Cardassian homeworlds are attacked by the Romulan renegades, who are seeking a place to form up their nation, essentially expelling the Cardassians. These Cardassians ironically are taken in by the Bajorians, becoming allies that work for the freedom of Cardassia -- at all costs. Anyone that gets in their way draws their wrath!

I'm sure there are lots of other possibilities, these are just a few I thought of after reading the story.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    With lore and political tensions like this being thought/played out one cannot help wanting to immersive in this grand upcoming world/game!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm sure they have a story line already worked out -- but I bet they are looking at some of the ideas put forth by the fans to see what might be ubercool!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Some thoughts....

Again, I'm truly not making these comments in a negative way. I personally have no problem with seeing the Path to 2409 presented in a big-picture way. I actually admire the writer's ability to present the arc of affairs in such an objective way; not everyone has that talent.

The only thing is... is that good Star Trek? Is history without individual heroes and villains really the most dramatic, the most "engaging" way to grab people's attention and pull them into the unique world and story of Star Trek?

--Flatfingers

As always good observations and comments Flatfinger, I concur, more detailed information would be appreciative. Captain Riker and the U.S.S Titain will have under gone a few changes (if Riker is even still with us after 30 years, maybe Son of Riker :) ), and you're right that U.S.S. Titain and crew do a lot in the book series that would effect the Federation/Romulan factions, and it would be nice to hear what has occurred between the Remen and the Klingons; and like afew have pointed out, where does the Unification stand after 30 years? This would impact Romulans and Feds both.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I wonder where they will take the cardies, i think they might be close to a irreconcilable civil war... religion can tend to birth massive rifts in a culture... especially with no word of the feds keeping an eye on it.. hmmm :P