test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What happens when you decommission a ship?

sargon1791sargon1791 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
edited August 26 in The Academy
I have all available ship and dry dock slots available.I have the max number of ships the game allows on my main STO character, my dry dock is almost maxed out with ships. In order to make room for ships that I have not mastered I will need to decommission ships, but I do not know what happens when you do. Do I lose the admiralty ships? Do I lose the ship mastery ability? Does anyone know if they plan to add more ship slots?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,323 Arc User
    sargon1791 wrote: »
    I have all available ship and dry dock slots available.I have the max number of ships the game allows on my main STO character, my dry dock is almost maxed out with ships. In order to make room for ships that I have not mastered I will need to decommission ships, but I do not know what happens when you do. Do I lose the admiralty ships? Do I lose the ship mastery ability? Does anyone know if they plan to add more ship slots?

You'll loose access to the ship but as far as I know you do not loose the admiralty unlocks or ship masteries, after all you're not running a merc company but are part of the Starfleet, KDF, RRN or the Dominion Navy and thus still have access to their resources so it would make no sense to remove those unlocks from a story or gameplay point of view.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 5,037 Arc User
    Admiralty cards remain.
    I'm not sure about the full ship mastery, but the traits unlocked at the fifth tier (or T6 in some cases) remain available for reclaimable C-store and event ships.
    I'm not entirely sure about character-specific, non-reclaimable unlocks like lobi or lockbox ships, as I've never deleted one of those.

No one here can tell with certainty whether they plan on adding more slots. Personally I think it's unlikely, since so many ships are reclaimable and I doubt that many players need more slots than the current max.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,600 Arc User
    edited August 26
    For Event, C-Store and Mudd's (except Phoenix tokens?): At most you'll need to do a couple of patrols to regain mastery 1-4 if you ever reclaim the ship.

Of course for lobi, lock box, promo pack you will also need to re-buy the ship because they are not reclaimable.

For all ships you do not lose traits / tier 5 mastery, and you do not lose the admiralty card.

When I create a new captain I usually don't buy any extra slots I just claim, master, dismiss the reclaimable ships and the traits and admiralty cards always remain. In fact for reclaimable ships you get most/all admiralty cards without even claiming the ship when you first unlock admiralty.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,705 Community Moderator
    thread /moved
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • proteus#8097 proteus Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    In my experience, when you decommission ships the Admiralty card, trait and any completed ship mastery remain, regardless of whether the ship is an account unlock or a single character ship.

Of course, if it's a single character ship decommissioning means you'll lose access to the ship itself even if the above remain. Finding a place in your dry dock would at least keep the ships available.
  • sargon1791sargon1791 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Thanks for the info everyone. I like having a ship set up for every occasion. Hence why I have so many slots. All this info will help me decide what ships to keep and what to decommission.