test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon recruit- what am I doing wrong?

vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
trying to level the hunters instinct. I just spent a half hour in the terran battlezone, using a kor (EBC) I must have popped 40-50 ships, but I'm stuck at 813 kills. what am i doing wrong here? basically I'm cloaked, i wait of the group to get in range and fire a combination of CSV and TS3 with maelstrom torpedoes... are the torps killing them too fast?
sig.jpg

Comments

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,149 Arc User
    Just been reading this on reddit about the fastest way to get the trait .....

You want to have a full set of the Revolutionary Equipment and the M'Chala's Graviton displacer.

You also want to be running missions with a lot of enemies like Swarm (or any of the Hur'Q missions)

Then you want to increase your ambush time as much as you can, preferably to have enough time to trigger the mycelium emitter (feel free to stack SROs and Subterfuge). I did this by using the free boff from after 50 ambushes + a romulan boff with superior subterfuge and an SRO.

Make sure you decloak just in front if a big cluster of enemies then set off the graviton emitter, wait one second to get enemies pulled in, then trigger the mycellium emitter.

Then watch the explosions or begin backing up to not he too close to said explosions!
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,094 Arc User
    There's been a reoccurring issue with this for the past couple of years. When it is working properly here's what I did to complete the ambush kills..

No specific items or equipment sets is required. Your Kor is a good ship and the fact that you're using CSV is great as it's by far the best and easiest way to get the kills. All I did to complete things is play TFO's and actively cloak and decloak as often as possible during otherwise normal game play. Yes, flanking helps get things done even faster.

Decloak --> EPtW 3 --> APB 1 --> CSV 3 --> TS --> Photonic Officer 2 --> recloak

It's possible to pre-load your abilities just prior to decloaking. I put this basic tactical rotation on a separate key that is set up to actuate abilities on a selected tray, in order to make things easier and a bit quicker. There's not always time for a torpedo spread as a lot of targets don't last through the initial firing cycle of buffed cannon scatter volley :smile:
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,290 Arc User
    edited March 28
    For kills to count, they must happen within the time for the "Ambush" buff from decloaking.
    By default, this is only the first 5 seconds after decloaking.

There's 2 ways to improve this:
    • Increase the duration of your 'Ambush'; and
    • Increase your damage.

Much is already said about increasing damage - using a ship with raider-flanking, and attacking from the rear to get the best boost; skill rotation (see above). I'd suggest activating as many skills to buff weapons before decloaking so that you get the best bang within that 5-second 'Ambush' timer.

But, how do we increase that 5 second timer?
    At 50 Ambus skills, you get a Klingon bridge officer with a trait that extends the duration of 'Ambush' by 10 seconds, giving you lots more time to blow up enemies.
    She also has a trait that increases your damage - this can be improved further by applying an Elite Bridge Officer Training Token.
    I'd highly recommend having her slotted in one of your Bridge Officer stations in order to take advantage of these boosts.

For further ways to improve damage or extend 'Ambush' after decloaking, have a look here.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    Ahh yeah.. Kor has the EBC. it never really "decloaks" so all those kills didn't count. I had to actually decloak to enable ambush. IMO, that's a bug, but i'm sure the devs think it's WAI. so, how to shorten the 10-12 second recharge?
    sig.jpg
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,094 Arc User
    edited March 29
    Not too sure if the recharge on cloaking can be shortened*

So you're firing torpedoes while under EBC. No ambush from decloaking so no credit for ambush kills does make sense.

Have read that it's only necessary to damage enemies while under the ambush effect and then there's a full minute to finish them off (?)

I think where ever multitudes of low HP enemies are found you'll have good luck in racking up ambush kills.

Still think the easiest way is covered above. Do TFO's (even event TFO's) and just keep decloaking and blowing stuff up. You'll be done in no time at all. Patrols would be another option. Or Hurq.

@inferiority did a nice job of laying out how to extend the duration of ambush so I think getting that bridge officer would help as well as using flanking attacks and trying to pre-buff before decloaking.

* Edit: SRO boffs and the She's a Predator starship trait reduce cloaking recharge times.
    Post edited by protoneous on
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,290 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    Have read that it's only necessary to damage enemies while under the ambush effect and then there's a full minute to finish them off (?)
    Well, that's nonsense...
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/