test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Advanced Science Exotic Particle Accelerators

davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
edited June 2023 in The Academy
Is it worth using 1 (or more) of these in place of Exotic or Restorative particle focusers from the fleet research lab, on a science ship with deteriorating secondary reflector?

They fixed re-engineering so you can have the EPG mod for these again, but you give up the 2/3 control console and +shields in exchange for the +damage. If you like to clump up mobs with your gravity well and torpedoes you want that control.

(Gravity well 3 + gravimetrric photon torp spread + charged particle burst made soloing lanes in Leviathan much easier.)

Comments

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    Potentially, the damage enhancement at ~350 EPG for a Mk XV Epic [Disruptor] (so a net EPG loss) one was higher than the Mk XV Ultra-Rare Exotic Particle Focusers it replaced, at least to the tooltips of Gravity Well and Console - Universal - Delphic Tear Generator, probably at least on par with Epic ( I didn't have any Epics too hand to compare.) That means you could probably switch at least a couple of [CtrlX] for a full console's worth of Control instead of 2/3rds if you want that, or get probably close to double the damage boost with [EPG] compared to the EPFs, or go for an Energy damage boost instead for DEWSci (which is what I was poking at). I've heard there's some oddness to how it calculates things, though, so my example might not be true at all EPG levels.
  • Options
    Thanks. It sounds like a good console to use at least 1 of then, especially for those who don't want to join a fleet.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    I feel like where the consoles really shine is in hybrid builds where you're wanting to convert the science consoles into tactical ones while you're using the engineering consoles for epg-clicky consoles.

As a use case example:
    I have a 'fire mage' who has flown a Nakuhl Acheros as their 'astral fire-dragon' for years. I had considered running Isomags on it to just push it up to being a proper DEW boat, but I ended up running these ExoPACs on it instead to suppliment its energy damage while also keeping and further enhancing the various console-based fire attacks I have on the ship. (Very much looking forward to replacing the old tadaari conal burst console with the new event ship's console as its 'breath attack'.)

(As an unrelated tip for other aspiring fire star-mages: a mix of Caustic and Viridian plasma cannons do a wonderful job of immitating a 'fire magic' visual while also being very synergistic with the fekihri consoles - plasma and fire damage types buildcraft very nicely together.)
  • Options
    @szerontzur - nice. I have my Fek'Ihri carrier Fire Boat of Doom, using Krieger Wave Disruptors for the vivid red beams, but that sounds fun too.