test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An interesting new combat behavior exhibited by some of my Jem Hadar characters.

xastirxxastirx Member Posts: 71 Arc User
Ok, so the default behavior when one pushes the button bound to "FIRE EVERYTHING" is the closest enemy on screen will be targeted and all weapons that can shoot it at that time will do so. The rest will remain silent until you turn the ship around to get them in a firing position. Also, until the targeted enemy is destroyed or you change targets(assuming you do not trigger any "shoot 'em all" abilities [torpedo spread, Scatter volley, etc}).

Now, for what my Jem'Hadar characters have been doing.

For this, assume three enemies. Enemy 1 is 8km ahead but slightly to your port side. Enemy 2 is in the same position, but aft. Enemy three is off your port side at 3KM. And your camera is set to view directly 90 degrees right or starboard. So, none of the enemies is on screen. For your weapons array you have the following. in front, 3 dual cannons of your choice and a torpedo. Aft you have 1 omni-beam, 1 torpedo, and 1 experimental weapon.

Knowing enemies are present but not on camera, you hit your fire button. At this point, because no one is on screen, your weapons should not do anything because you are not looking at anything that can be targeted.

But instead this happens with my vanguard Jem'Hadar and his Legendary Jem'Hadar Attack Ship.

For the enemy ahead of me, they get hit with my forward weapons array's full might. The enemy behind me gets shot at with the aft torpedo. the enemy off my port side, as its the closest gets hit with the omni beam and the experimental weapon. Even if i am looking at all three, this same thing happens. Assuming everyone sits still, and I don't get blown up, this continues to happen until one enemy dies, at which point the weapons on that side either stop firing, or if its the 360 arc weapons that get the first kill, they will randomly switch between the front and aft targets if they are precisely the same distance away.

Now, have those ships in the same relative position to each other but with me starting behind the ship that was to my aft with me advancing slowly. All available weapons will fire at that target. But once I pass it by, this will happen. Assuming the closer target it 25 degrees to the port of centerline(out of arc for dual cannons but still in arc for torpedoes) the next salvo will see the omni weapons and the aft torpedo fire at the target i just strafed with the first attack, the forward torpedo will fire at the closer target in front while the cannons fire at the farther away target since it is in the cannons arc.

TL:DR: Without using any special firing modes, I can, by flying the legendary attack ship on this character the right way, fire on multiple targets simultaneously without using any firing modes what so ever but I have the option of forcing my weapons to behave the normal way by manually targeting an enemy.

Also I would like to note that bridge officer abilities are working the same way, For example, Tykens rift, instead of targeting an enemy and directing the rift there, it just spawns one in front of the closest enemy off my bow.

Anyway, I was wondering if this is normal behavior for Vanguard Jem Hadar or something that is being tested for later implementation or if its a bug. As for my opinion on this unusual behavior, I think it should be made to work like this for all characters. It would allow builds to live up to their true potential as every weapon with something that it can shoot at would be able to play. It would also add more of an immersiveness to combat in that it forces one to think tactically in how they fly. Specifically, how to fly to keep the pressure on the thing you want to be the focus but at the same time keeping pressure on what is outside your main DPS arcs. Also, for PvP, the fact the target does not have to be on camera neutralizes the advantage that some players have where in you cannot shoot them if they are moving so fast that you cant get them on screen to target them. (I had that happen once at Ker'rat where someone flying the Vulcan Scout Ship was flying so fast that I could not shoot them because as soon as I got my camera aimed at them, they were already "behind" my camera on the other side)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    tiffanypowell#8124 tiffanypowell Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    possible that the behavior you're observing could be a bug or unintended behavior. Game developers regularly update and maintain their games, addressing issues and introducing new features. If you suspect that the behavior you're experiencing is a bug, it might be helpful to report it to the game's official support or community forums for further investigation.
  • Options
    Thanks. I made a bug report prior to posting here.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    "Target offscreen enemy on attack" is a setting choice for attacks (it's in a drop-down) in Options that you might check if it's set to that on your Jem characters but not other characters. Functioning the way described should just be a matter of hitting the fire button multiple times with that setting enabled.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,790 Arc User
    Whatever is causing this, you should consider yourself lucky.

Most of the times when I'm firing without having selected a target, the game selects one that is just outside most of my weapons' firing arcs. >.<

Also, the tab key doesn't work like half the times, you either have to press it twice or make sure that you haven't done anything in the two seconds or so before hitting it. But that's another matter.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    tom61sto wrote: »
    "Target offscreen enemy on attack" is a setting choice for attacks (it's in a drop-down) in Options that you might check if it's set to that on your Jem characters but not other characters. Functioning the way described should just be a matter of hitting the fire button multiple times with that setting enabled.

That, I did not know, however, after looking through my settings on that, they are all at their default behaviors. Which is to say, My weapons target the closest enemy I am looking at. If they are off screen, no shooty. Except for this one Jem Hadar that flies the Legendary bug ship.
  • Options
    Whatever is causing this, you should consider yourself lucky.

Most of the times when I'm firing without having selected a target, the game selects one that is just outside most of my weapons' firing arcs. >.<

Also, the tab key doesn't work like half the times, you either have to press it twice or make sure that you haven't done anything in the two seconds or so before hitting it. But that's another matter.

I understand your struggles there. Only, rather than targeting the enemy against which you can deal the most damage to in that instant, it targets whoever is closest to you on screen that at least one mounted weapon can hit(if its the fire button you used to select a target. Pressing tab, i think goes from center of screen outwards. That or it too goes off of who is closest but not necessarily in a weapons firing arc.
  • Options
    So, an update, since I realize I havent been posting on this thread for a while. The combat behavior of my Vanguard Jem'Hadar appears to be something character specific. I switched from the legendary assault ship and over to a Titan class so as to get him the Another Enterprise Trait so I can, with the new transponder, bring in 3 Jem Hadar battleships at the same time. Even on the Titan, the behavior persists so it is not something that is specific to the Legendary Bug.
This discussion has been closed.