test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New free Miranda hull variant

Hey with the release of Star trek Resurgence will we get an update on the Centaur and have the Resolute's hull options in ship tailor and as NPC ships seen in the story mode?

Comments

• inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Hey with the release of Star trek Resurgence...
    Given that Star Trek: Resurgence is made by a completely different developer, it's highly unlikely.
    However, I don't think it's impossible...
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,319 Arc User
    Given that Star Trek: Resurgence is made by a completely different developer, it's highly unlikely.

IIRC Cryptic has said they can use items from other Star Trek games (according to the IP owners), I dunno if that's for just for old games or games in general, as long they utterly rebuild the model themselves so you'll probably won't get anything Star Trek Resurgence anytime soon.
  • corerunner#1772 corerunner Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    I think since resurgence is in the canon territory it's fair game and good cross promotion.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,979 Arc User
    edited May 2023
    spiritborn wrote: »

IIRC Cryptic has said they can use items from other Star Trek games (according to the IP owners), I dunno if that's for just for old games or games in general, as long they utterly rebuild the model themselves so you'll probably won't get anything Star Trek Resurgence anytime soon.

Cryptic *could* have had something ready in time for *soon* if they built the hull model from promotional art or got the assets from the developer to use as a guide (if the desire to cross promote was strong). But that would be just the prospect of adding the hull model to the Miranda line.

Releasing the Centaur variant as a new ship would require knowing what the ship does in its most iconic moments to inform traits and consoles, which would be difficult to do an immediate tie-in for because 1) Cryptic would need in-depth story knowledge prior to Resurgence's release and 2) would could for mild spoiler as you wouldn't expect the target audience to be finished in a week or so with the game. I also think Cryptic would likely seek permission from Resurgence's devs as even if CBS gave them the OK as they are pulling from a narrative game's central hero ship and if the active devs don't approve of the use of it in STO then that could be very problematic for PR (especially if Cryptic puts it anywhere other than the regular c-store. Headline: "Cryptic rips off Resurgence for Loot Box" could be extremely damaging if Resurgence holds onto notable popularity) or just the efficacy of cross promotion.

It all depends though on how strongly Cryptic and Resurgence's developer feel about that cross promotion. Cryptic will probably get to it at some point (provided there's willing cooperation) but this would be the first instance of a new Star Trek game coming out with a hero ship to pull from (everything else has been mobile and recycling IP assets) so I could see them being more tentative (see how well game does, reach out to other developer, move forward when you know there's an audience for it and working relationship established with the other team.) Cryptic may also be hesitant to jump on Resurgence's bandwagon as it's also a potential competitor to Trek narratives in substantive gaming format (Cryptic has the long term replayability, customization, and multiplayer side to make this not an existential issue but they could be losing some of their market from players who enjoy narrative most, have had no other options but STO, and would rather dive into that with greater depth and without the F2P shenanigans lumped on.)

So we'll see but there's more facets here than bringing in any other ship from Trek gaming (and how Cryptic treats it will be quite informative).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!