test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Names

madmartigan#9740 madmartigan Member Posts: 27 Arc User
I posted a ticket about this (below) and never really got an answer. Had to dig for the none-answer. So I was encouraged to post here (hopefully here). Bottom line is, there are ways to censor in the game language etc. But some things need addressed. My ship was named something originally and now it has triggered a censor that blocks it. Well I find that insulting as well as factually incorrect. It took me many times to write it in-game as well due to a "profanity block" when I was not being profane and had to keep starting over.

Here is my original ticket with a few extra words for clarification:

5th attempt to write this. I have had the T5 (Sovereign-class Assault Cruiser) for a long while and it has been named U.S.S. (Yamashi ta) without the (space). I had to include that space even here due to a Profanity block. Riduculous. Why? Because it's actually my lineage "FAMILY NAME"; not a swear word. I'm a Japanese-American and you are insulting me. It was allowed all this time and now when I get enough to upgrade to the T6 variant, I can't rename it because "Profanity is not allowed'? What-the-heck... yeah, *a bad word* is in the middle... however, understanding Hirigana language... in JAPANESE its pronounced Shi ta or Shta. So yea, I'm very offended here my family name is not profanity.

If you want proof, Check my Loadout name in my "now named" U.S.S. 123, T5 in my dry dock. It still clearly says Yamashi ta without the space. Just as it works (FINE) in the loadout, it should work for the ship name. Anyone who looks at that and sees (TRIBBLE) so-to-speak is an uneducated person. They are not reading profanity, period. How do we learn to spell and say (rendezvous)? Cause, its French and not spelt phonetically? Education. Not generic algorithms blocking stuff it doesn't understand.

I get there is no profanity allowed in the game (minus zone talk...). I also understand not demeaning a persons culture and heritage. FYI, Yamashi ta are descendant from the following: Tokugawa (last shogun), Shimazu, (kyushu dimyo) Ashikaga (shoguns) and Minamoto (first shoguns). My mother and her sisters in western terminology are considered princesses backed by documented fact.

Again, what in the heck... You allow profanity all over the zone and local messages and yet you "censor" me? With a legitimate family name?

Even writing this message has been a chore 5th time. Your algorithm is total nonsense.
Very offended. Please fix this

Yes, after re-reading this... what total bs. Offended all over again.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited January 2023
    Sometimes the game doesn’t allow you to name ships after the name of certain vessels or people in Star Trek. That being said, I cannot think of a USS Yamashita in Star Trek canon. My point is: it may not be the profanity filter—it may just be in the blocked names list. Or it may be an oversight. My family is also Japanese, so I too wish this game was a little less Eurocentric at times. But as Michio Kaku would probably argue: the “Americanization” of Starfleet is probably because Earth’s Type I culture is pretty ubiquitously American—so far. It is possible that may change. But for now blue jeans, baseball, rootbeer—that is Federation culture.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    In chat you can choose to have the profanity filter on or off. However when it comes down to ship names the filter does seem antiquated, but with that said what isn't offensive to you may be to another. A while back a UK player wanted to name ship after the place he lived and he was blocked due to the place name containing a profanity ending in NT. The profanity filter at the end of the day is there to create a safe environment for all. Obviously there are players what won't give two hoots but there are players that will be offended. Where should Cryptic draw the line. If this was a 18+ only game then I would agree the profanity filter on ship names is going too far, but this is not a 18+ game some sites recommend STO for 12 years upwards or even as young as 7.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-reviews/star-trek-online/user-reviews/adult
  • madmartigan#9740 madmartigan Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    I can agree with both of these responses. I guess I would say then is, if it's a legitimate (name) title, place, (google-able) hah, for example as I was complaining about, it should be allowed whether that offends someone or not. Naming a ship "hitler" would obviously be an offense for many and should be blocked as should others, case-by-case. As much as they are allowed to be offended though, I am allowed to be proud of and we can all just get along. Heck someone's offense is often times an opportunity to communicate and "Educate". If someone names a ship General Lee that might offend plenty. It is however... A Historical Figure who in actuality helped rebuild America after the Civil War, accepted the loss and help future generations enjoy the "freedoms" we have. So... hate or like the guy, its historical, its fact, know your history don't just be offended without any knowledge. I don't like Lee for a lot of reasons but I have no interest in censuring who he was. I think there needs to be allowances such as reporting it like I was trying to do with my name so it can be "allowed". If anything, I should be and am honestly the one who is offended that a foolish blocker thinks a family name is profanity. That can be viewed as very disrespectful and dishonoring. I have choice words for that to show the difference of what profanity really is. I tried to rename it again 10 mins ago and it very specifically gives the error "Profanity is not allowed" meaning it is totally the end of Yamashita that is getting hit by the blocker.
    That IS annoying.
    And it did work at one point (T5 vs my T6 upgrade) meaning I wonder if someone "complained" and no one thought to "educate". It just got stuck it into an algorithm or something. That's not fair...
  • scorpwanna#3529 scorpwanna Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    Wondering if anyone in game may have reported your name and then the team flagged it that way. I had a similar experience years ago and had to rectify it with Customer Support.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,240 Community Moderator
    necro /thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.