test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dilithium Exchange

For years I bragged about Star Trek Online for having one of the most equitable free-to-play systems of any online game due to its dilithium exchange, whereby paying players could effectively buy the time-spent (daily refinement limits) of free-to-play players and those free-to-play players could in exchange earn the necessary currency to acquire any ship/item. Unfortunately a number of factors, (which I will not waste time with at this moment), have caused that equitable economy to collapse.
At the writing of this post, there is over 10 MILLION Zen-worth of dilithium on the exchange, (at the maxed-out price of 500 dilithium-per-zen). Requests to sell dilithium now take at least 4 weeks to fill. Quite simply, dilthium continues to flow in but there is no compelling ongoing consumption of dilithium. The assumption amongst the players is that the dilithium exchange is only of use to free-to-play players and as such there is no motivation to pursue a solution.
I would like to propose a simple-but-radical solution to this problem - make lockbox keys a dilthium purchase. Paying players will certainly retain the ability to purchase keys at will, but would simply need to first purchase dilithium from the exchange. While I highly-doubt there would be any issue, if there is concern that the player exchange would run dry of dilithium, simply set a threshold price at which dilithium can be purchased for zen when there is no player dilithium available.