test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

VFX Issues Thread

Comments

• qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    According to the Ten Forward Weekly there is supposed to be a meeting about the VFX soon. Hopefully we will get a little news about it. Even if the news is just that the fix is a long way off. It was really erai, really responsible, of Kael to update us about the weapons visual meeting. Maybe we will find out soonish.
  • deadlock8118deadlock8118 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    As well as spamming the most horrendous pink noise AOEs, the Cnidarian Beige Eighties Saucer has the most obnoxiously sized special ability effects and vanity effects. You will already have seen the screenshots of the literally kilometres long Borg parts from the Assimilated Borg Technology set. Here is a screenshot of the Cnidarian toy with what I'm guessing is the Pedal to the Metal reputation trait active. Could you maybe tone this stuff down a bit so it only fills a quarter of my screen? Much obliged.

268aopza348k.jpg
    So There is an update although the notes for the livestream have not yet been posted. Kael said that the meeting about the visual spam was successful, that it seems something is starting or being planned to address it. And it will probably take a long time to implement, so we are likely to have to wait several months.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Okay, I've finally been through a TFO with a giant space jellyfish, and I have to say, that pink shell, while clearly visible, isn't nearly so obnoxious as I had been led to believe - certainly less obtrusive than either variety of space tornado, or the one with the green lightning all over the place. More akin to the device that puts out the green healing field, really.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • krisxr400krisxr400 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    Great screenshots @valorea. They look like a visual nightmare. Like your GPU got sick and throw up all over the place. lol
    > @jonsills said:
    > Okay, I've finally been through a TFO with a giant space jellyfish, and I have to say, that pink shell, while clearly visible, isn't nearly so obnoxious as I had been led to believe - certainly less obtrusive than either variety of space tornado, or the one with the green lightning all over the place. More akin to the device that puts out the green healing field, really.

I do think they turned down the bloom on the effect after the first few weeks. I haven’t seen anyone else say that, so I may be mistaken. It could have been my personal settings, user error, a placebo effect, or any number of hallucinations.

But I thought the first time I saw it, it was really bright, so I turned off lighting 2.0. When I later turned 2.0 back on and didn’t think the effect was so bad. I think, I am affected by the black box problem before core breaches, and it seems turning off lighting 2.0 improves that for me too. So although it is not an optimal solution. Avoiding lighting 2.0 seems to make many of these effects less problematic, at least for me. I don’t particularly like the aura effect around characters in the lighting 2.0 anyway.

But I do hope still the black box issue gets resolved someday too. Too many flashy lights may be bad but flashing black can be disrupting too.
    edited August 2022
    (Comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    A few more from a NWS run this morning. Had the pleasure of two Jellyfish on the team here and needless to say, essentially the entire match was bathed in the pink ball.

vL9j9o1.jpg

8nBWqrg.png

bcjZWd2.jpg

tQMaBpa.jpg

1X78moK.jpg

GiVEDcE.jpg

Here are two from an Operation Wolf TFO

Xiz6Mbr.jpg

IzT4wQM.jpg

That's strong enough to blind a smurf!
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I dunno about turning the effects off. I'd like to see what I've got running and I'd like for my teammates to see what I've got running. This being said, I'm okay with other players having the ability somehow to remove the effects I'm using from their screen. Or at least attenuating the effects I'm using to the point where the map is visible to them.

I've stopped using Beacon of Kahless and Neutronic Eddies. Because they cover the map and not everyone plays this game on a 'puter which can process things quickly enough or correctly. I do think Beacon of Kahless' visual effects ought to be much more limited timewise. I'm not opposed to the Blinding Flash per se, but it out to be much much shorter. Along the lines of two or three seconds at most. The Badlands fire tornado and the pink field put out by the cnidarian ship ought to be toned down considerably in intensity. I don't think they ought to be removed, but I do think they ought to be made very much more transparent.

I don't want to infringe on other players' enjoyment of STO. Either on purpose or by accident. I've stopped using two of the visually loudest effects ingame. So I'm okay with players having the ability to not see the visual effects my AoE Science Boat can generate.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    @valoreah The purple space tornado comes from the RIsian Weather Control ship, its console.

Most all the VFX that annoys me has already been listed. I hope they come up with something to fix it all.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    the thing is not just the luminosity but the SIZE. the console effects from the Maquis raider console and the weather control ships needs to be scaled by at LEAST 2/3. and the green lightning in the gravity wells needs to be decreased both in brightness and the frequency of the effect
    Spock.jpg

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    I didn't take a screenshot, but I just got killed by falling off the bridge near the end of Bug Hunt.

Simply because I couldn't see a thing due to all the purple electricity fields from the last event's kit module (and some hurricanes created by a Risa turret).

That hasn't ever happened before to me, as far as I can remember.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • botc76botc76 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    It was never that big a problem for me, tbh. But relatively recent additions changed that. On the ground, the lightning effect of the recent set and in space especially the pink jellyfish are a real distraction.

And yes, in general it's definitely too much visual spam going on, even just my own effects are annoying for me, so that I stopped using certain abilities due to it.

I have no idea how to sort of dull it down altogether, but I'd like to at least have the ability to turn off visual effects coming from other players.
    Seriously, I just sigh loudly, whenever I see someone is using that stupid pink jellyfish.
    And to be honest, I do have to question why in a game ALREADY overloaded with VFX the devs decided to add several real distracting ones as rewards in the last year or so.
    That seems contra productive, regarding an already existing issue.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    botc76 wrote: »
    I do have to question why in a game ALREADY overloaded with VFX the devs decided to add several real distracting ones as rewards in the last year or so.
    That seems contra productive, regarding an already existing issue.

because thier "market research" told them Moar VFX. Kinda like Dr Wu talking to Maserati in Jurassic World
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • magusshadowmoonmagusshadowmoon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Yes Please do away with all this...you do not see this kind of thing in the shows or movies. And on the same note can you please disable consoles/abilities etc in public places like Sol space, Nimbus space etc.
  • xxdefectivexxxxdefectivexx Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    what of the issue with the flickering black boxes that devour half the screen when there is an explosion when the bloom is on i get that turning the bloom off is a work around but i was just curious
    The black boxes are a new bug since the new explosions were implemented. It seems to happen with certain cards like Nividia. And Kael once said Cryptic was unable to reproduce it. I have been playing with lightning 2.0 off and it solves the problem for me. But I wish they would fix that too.
  • startrekaeorrostartrekaeorro Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I haven't posted on the forums in a very, very long time, but this is an issue that needs to be addressed! This takes away from the games playability, especially in group play! I have recently returned to the game, and I can't recall the FX spam being this bad. This has even stopped a couple friends (who I'm trying to talk into coming back to the game) from playing. The effects can vary depending on who you are grouped with, but some of the ship effects screen bloom is so bad, I completely lose situational awareness of what's going on. This is not something that makes me want to continue playing this game. Visual effects can be appealing and adds to games, but if given the choice of having it as it is now or just turning all effects off, I would choose turning it all off.
    “Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. ”― E. Rommelvn1d8jtiy2sg.jpg
  • sheperd#7126 sheperd Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited November 2022
    (Derailing comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • suri#7105 suri Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Why don't you guys use Vertigo? I've been using it for ages, it's amazing to be able to see my ship again.

https://www.srs-fleet.net/vertigo
    Some people around here think it is an exploit.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    qultuq wrote: »
    Some people around here think it is an exploit.

It's not. I've asked about it.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.