test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Instant Personal Teleportation [NEW DEVICE REQUEST]

TLDR; Need personal instant teleportation to customizable locations; functioning similar to how you can instantly teleport to current events from anywhere in the game. Saves time, makes money (ZEN), and preserves sanity. <3

NEW DEVICE REQUEST
DEVICE: PERSONAL TRANSWARP TELEPORTER] - Accessing device will display a list of preset locations to instantly teleport to anywhere in the game.

Requirements:
  • Costs a fair amount of ZEN as a "Mudd" item OR preferably it could be unlocked through gameplay mechanics (perhaps after 5-ish+ number of characters have reached max level, or available to lifetime subscription members after 5-ish+ number of years)
  • Has a limited # of customizable locations (maybe 5-10, and ideally includes either ground or space, but if necessary could be space only)
  • Cooldown 15 minutes to 1 hour (any longer than this would defeat any benefit)

Ideally this would be closer to Ultima Online's rune system to allow binding to ANY location in the game, but at worst should function similar to WoW's hearthstone by binding to specific NPC.

The gameplay reasoning could be that you've made friends with a Q-like entity to provide Q-like teleportation to anywhere in the galaxy from any location. By max level every character should have encountered some godlike being that would be friendly enough to allow this functionality. Seems like Mudd has wormed his way into obtaining devices like this handily enough, and I'm fairly certain he's not a Fleet Admiral.

PROBLEM
The sheer amount of time required teleporting around between instances is excruciating. I like the core gameplay and design reasons, however, when I see that functionality exists to "Instant Teleport to Risa", it really makes me wish for something like this on a more regular basis. The load times are really only cutting into the amount of time I could be enjoying this game more fully.

One of the oldest modern MMO's in existence, Ultima Online, has the ability to teleport from almost anywhere, to almost anywhere else. Even in that game and this game there's still enough things to do to keep you entertained and playing; and "instant teleportation" would simply enhance gameplay (and save our sanity)!!

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS
I've noticed myself, and other players, fall into a groove of certain places they like to visit frequently. The Academy, DS9, or New Romulus (for probably a dizzying number of reasons - Dance Club on Nimbus anyone? B) ), however, traveling to each of these places in one game session can take a painful amount of time. I have a fast computer, I can only imagine how painful it is for players with computers that slow this game down even further.

Additionally, there are so many places in the game I'd still like to explore, however, having to teleport back to the Academy for my 1k dil, or teleporting to my Starbase, or a bunch of other reasons, I find myself pigeon-holed into certain areas, never getting the time to fully explore some really cool and well-designed parts of the game. A quick teleport tool like this would allow me to pick up where I last left off exploring, while still allowing me to continue making progress on the "meta" experience.

A nice side-benefit for the developers; users would be loading LESS overall instances, since they're skipping a few in-between, which would ideally cause a less strain on the servers themselves.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. o:) I did a cursory search through the forum, and couldn't find anything close enough to follow-up on.

SUMMARY
An "Instant Teleportation" device would give players more time to play the game, keeping long-time players engaged, while make the developers money and potentially freeing up server strain.

Instance load times have been an ongoing struggle since the beginning, but now that functionality exists to avoid some of this strain, it might be a great time for just this sort of addition.

Sounds like a WIN-WIN-WIN to me!
-MINI Cooper
"
Who sends monsters to kill us, and at the same time sings that we'll never die?
Who teaches us what's real, and how to laugh at lies?
Who decides why we live, and what we'll die to defend?
Who chains us, and who holds the key that can set us free?
It's you...you hold all the weapons you need...Now FIGHT!" Zack Snyder, Sucker Punch

Comments

• crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    Have you looked at the transwarp coils in the Lobi store. There was a lockbox that gave out something like you describe - would take you to a single site instantly - I still have a few to Nakura and Nimbus III. But that was a while ago, and I doubt any are left on the exchange.